Author Topic: New owner of 1984 xcab  (Read 10105 times)

RRMike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: New owner of 1984 xcab
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:14:54 PM »
hokey = not the right way

Sorry if you took offense.  None intended.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:50:06 PM »
  My accountant is stingy!!

U need a new accountant! :gap: :welcome:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2006, 06:10:05 PM »
Nothin like a little muddin out back of the trailer park :gap:  That's hot.  On the shackle note though I would put the hanger back where it was and just buy a slightly longer shackle (boomerang) before I would run it with a forward angled shackle.  That's just hokey :thumbs:

Instead of moving the hanger again why not try some longer springs.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2006, 06:21:28 PM »
You could try putting some old toyota rear springs in the front. Depending on far forward you moved the front hanger you may be able to run the later model rear springs that are a little longer  :dunno: I don't really know the measurements or if that would even work but they would be cheap and easy to find. I think they may be 51" long but I could be wrong.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2006, 06:31:13 PM »
You could try putting some old toyota rear springs in the front. Depending on far forward you moved the front hanger you may be able to run the later model rear springs that are a little longer  :dunno: I don't really know the measurements or if that would even work but they would be cheap and easy to find. I think they may be 51" long but I could be wrong.

Stock toy rears move the axle forward 2" because they are only 20.5" on the front half where as a stock toyota front spring is 22.5". But you have to add a few leaves to the pack to make them stiff enough to hold up the front of the truck.
 89-95 rears are 51", 80-88 is 48"
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

RRMike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2006, 06:31:52 PM »
Instead of moving the hanger again why not try some longer springs.

Yeah sure.  Do whatever you think is easiest but don't leave the shackles like that.  I just don't know what springs specifically you can use to keep the 14" or whatever of lift it has.  Maybe just swap main leaf's?

RRMike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2006, 06:35:49 PM »
Stock toy rears move the axle forward 2" because they are only 20.5" on the front half where as a stock toyota front spring is 22.5". But you have to add a few leaves to the pack to make them stiff enough to hold up the front of the truck.
 89-95 rears are 51", 80-88 is 48"

20.5 on the 79-88's 2" shorter than stock front half
21.5 on the 89-95's 1" shorter than stock front half

Depending on where the hanger is now it may move the axle a lot more :dunno:

[offtopic]
Also according to 4RnrRick over on Pirate the 1st gen rears (79-83) are 21.125" front to center and 48" overall.
[/offtopic]
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2006, 06:40:16 PM by RRMike »

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2006, 06:39:17 PM »

!st or second gen rears is what I was thinking but that would pretty well require hysteer, and I don't think his accountant would approve the funds.

my favorite places:

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Dec 08, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »
C'mon, she can just buy him a $400.00 present for EndYear. He can scrounge an IFS steering box later.
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Dec 08, 2006, 07:47:17 PM »
Tax time is coming up :think: As long as you get more than 75$ back like me you should be all set to buy truck parts.

VaTechToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Dec 11, 2006, 01:23:46 PM »
"There's a difference between Highsteer crossover steering, and regular crossover steering. If you have or can get an IFS steering box, you can run a draglink sideways over the top of the springs to the passenger-side steering arm, which will need to be modified...but this is a cheap way to eliminate the HORRIBLE bumpsteer you currently have with that much lift and a modified but basically stock-style draglink. There's links to this cheap setup on here, i don't remember right now but i'm sure someone on here would be happy to point you in the right direction. The tierod will still be in it's stock position under the springs, but hey...it'll be alot better than what you have now."

Does anyone know the link tohow to do this.  I have tried to locate it.  Thanks

VaTechToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Dec 16, 2006, 08:13:24 AM »
Hey yall, after much thought, I am trading my 39's for a set of 35's, to get the COG lower and help with not tearing the heck out of the drive train.I am also getting the cheap crossover steering fix, but crossover steering nonetheless.  I will also have a set of 37 boggers for when I want to go in the mud. My question to yall now is this....I have been reading a lot on here so I dont sound so stupid ( being a newbie to yotas), and notice a lot of people are really down on the 5.71's.  If I will be using this as a beach truck, occasional mudtruck, and hunting truck, do I really need to worry about them breaking.  Also, how bad is the on road driving going to be with the detroit in the rear!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Dec 16, 2006, 11:13:45 AM »
Yeah!! Like a crotch rocket.

Heeeeyyyyy....crotch rockets aren't unsafe, it's the guy riding it who's unsafe :yupyup: ... ask me how I know 
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2006, 11:18:55 AM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Dec 16, 2006, 01:47:03 PM »
Hey yall, after much thought, I am trading my 39's for a set of 35's, to get the COG lower and help with not tearing the heck out of the drive train.I am also getting the cheap crossover steering fix, but crossover steering nonetheless.  I will also have a set of 37 boggers for when I want to go in the mud. My question to yall now is this....I have been reading a lot on here so I dont sound so stupid ( being a newbie to yotas), and notice a lot of people are really down on the 5.71's.  If I will be using this as a beach truck, occasional mudtruck, and hunting truck, do I really need to worry about them breaking.  Also, how bad is the on road driving going to be with the detroit in the rear!
I would go with 5.29s personally....for all around good gearing...35s would probably put you in a good range. And driving with a Detroit isnt that bad on the street. Just learn how to drive with it and don't gas it like a mad man around the corners
RIP KYOTA

VaTechToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec 18, 2006, 03:53:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply...

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Dec 18, 2006, 04:10:11 AM »
crotch rockets aren't unsafe, it's the guy riding it who's unsafe

actually, its normally all the morons in cars that end up killing the guys on the bikes
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Dec 18, 2006, 09:54:07 PM »
actually, its normally all the morons in cars that end up killing the guys on the bikes

I thought it was drunkasses riding their bikes home from the bars that made them unsafe :dunno:

thestoic22

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -55
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since May '05
  • Lisa ain't walkin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Dec 20, 2006, 12:59:45 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Truck-Drop-Drag-Link-4-of-Lift-or-More_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33593QQihZ019QQitemZ8065604484

Here is a link to the adjustable drag link that solved all of my steering woes.  This is an Ebay store called Foothill Offroad.

I have the same truck (84 ext cab) and was having some steering issues with the stock steering.  I put on 5 inches of lift with 35's and the steering was giving me a fit.  I installed this adjustable drag link and it pretty much made my ride safe again for a little over a hundred bucks.  Bump steer is still there, but it has been significantly reduced.  High steer is definitely a great solution but it is expensive, especially if you have to purchase an IFS steering box separately.  I am also from VA and this solution has worked well for general around town/hunting/playing vehicle.  I have been driving the wheels off of it this hunting season and it has still held up.  That is just my two cents worth.  Good luck.

Go ODU!!

VaTechToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Dec 21, 2006, 04:00:46 AM »
Thanks for the info, and I wish the drag link would have worked, but moving the axle forward the 1 or so that I did made it to where I cant use that solution

Sent you a PM

eightyfive

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 232
  • Male Posts: 552
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Dec 21, 2006, 07:57:24 PM »
axle 1" forward...you can still use the adjustable drop drag link...JUST ADJUST IT!
._________________________________________.
||____________||____________||___T0Y0TA__||
||____________||____________||____________||
1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

some modifications here and there....

VaTechToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:05:15 AM »
I might not be a mechanic, but I am not idiot, but thats for the confidence.  I adjusted the link, it wont work.

VaTechToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:15:49 AM »
I have met a lot of really nice people, and cool people, but some yall have a real attitude towards newbies...wasnt everyone a newbie at one time

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Dec 22, 2006, 12:41:01 PM »
Mabye you should brouse pirate a little. These guys other than a few exceptions are actually pretty willing to help out just bout anyone with minimal sarcasm. I guess ya have to take the good with the bad.  :therethere:

my favorite places:

VaTechToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Dec 25, 2006, 09:58:47 AM »
Yeah, I understand taht, just get frusterated sometimes.  Merry Christmas to you all