Author Topic: Non-SR5 to SR5 gauge swap. What yellow wire to tach?  (Read 4490 times)

Lonestar Honcho

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Non-SR5 to SR5 gauge swap. What yellow wire to tach?
« on: Dec 01, 2006, 02:15:45 PM »
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=2973.0

I've got all the other wires swapped out. Thanks to Brandon's post above :)

The only problem that I've come across is the number 14, SR5 pinout. Do I run a wire from the ignition switch, number 10, yellow wire to the 14 pinout? Do I need to run any other wires from the coil or anything else?

It just seems to easy.

TIA :biggthumpup:

Sorry you'll have to open the above referenced page to understand which pinouts I'm talking about
DD '82 Toyota 4WD LWB, L-52HD, 31" BFG's, 3" Skyjacker, Orig. Blue paint with AC.

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
#14  can go to either at the ignitor, the one I used or the capped plug on the right, both send a tach signal

Lonestar Honcho [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
 :clap: A million thanks Kyota!

To also attach a pic, your awesome! Thanks for the help and fast reply.
DD '82 Toyota 4WD LWB, L-52HD, 31" BFG's, 3" Skyjacker, Orig. Blue paint with AC.

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
no problem  8) Ive answered this same question a few times with the pic from when I did mine
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2006, 04:16:35 PM by KYOTA »

bmxanddie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 557
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
just in case, this is a good site for the swap too.    http://www.siestaoff-road.web1000.com/clustertech.html

Lonestar Honcho [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the link bmxanddie. :biggthumpup:

I've got a problem. Using the above pics, I still don't have a tach. I'm unsure if the tach is bad or I got something other.

I used the screw on the back side of the cluster where the number 14 wire goes to. I have used both wires from the coil, the one shown by Kyota and the other with the cap with no results.

Is there another way to check for a signal from the coil? Is there a possibility that there isn't any signal coming from there?

Appreciate the help. I'm not understanding because all my other gauges work.

Lonestar Honcho [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well, I'm getting power to the back of the gauge cluster screw (where #14 goes)but nothing across to the other far screw if that makes sense to the guys who've done it.

Maybe I got a bad tach cluster but I've never heard of much of anything Toyota going bad.

Any advice, hints, troubleshooting tips for a guy who's got no business with wires ???

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
the only thing I can think of is the printed circut on the back has a break in it. I just looked at my non SR5 gauges that were removed when I did mine and the printed circuit has the screw and circuit line for the tach. Maybe try swapping the printed circuit from cluster to cluster.   

Lonestar Honcho [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hmmm...Thanks for the response Kyota :cool:

I wish I wasn't on dial up so I could upload some pics to this thread. Unfortunately, it would take me a good part of the night.
I'll probably get me another used gauge cluster than decipher what the problem is with this one.

But just to make things interesting...are you talking about taking the back circuitry off the back of the cluster? On the old non-SR5 gauge cluster set? I'm looking at it and don't understand what your talking about a "printed circuit". Maybe we're talking the same thing. The embedded circuitry?

Just for grins, I'm about to take that back circuitry off just to see whats behind it. :hammerhead:

***EDIT***Ok, I think I now know that we were talking about the same thing. Unless I pull the SR5 back circuitry will I see if the (transistor?) is still connected. I'm figuring, like yourself, that it may have a crack somewhere
in the soldering. Easy fix if that is indeed the problem. Won't know for sure until I get the cluster pulled again.

Anyways, thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2006, 05:46:03 PM by Lonestar Honcho »

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
yep the blue plastic with the copper colored circuits on the back of the gauge cluster

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I had the same prob with the tach except I got smoke and a funny smell.  I took the wire off the stud/nut and ran it into the tach slot on the plug # 14 if I remember, made my own little connecter for the plug,it just has to make contact.  The capped off green plug under the hood did not work for me on my 83 I did the same thing KYOTA did in his pic.  I doubt the cluster is bad I smoked mine and it still works great.  Let us know if you get stuck, many have done the swap and are happy to help.

Lonestar Honcho [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks 8D3Toy, I might try hooking it up to the stock location. I'm getting juice from both wires under the hood and at the cluster. I'm thinking that the small transistor looking thing maybe broken or the connection in the soldering is bad. Won't know for sure until I pull it back out.