Author Topic: Q on LC eng Flex Fan (replacing OEM Clutch fan)  (Read 1555 times)

ga-toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Jan '06
  • hiluxin in style....
    • View Profile
Q on LC eng Flex Fan (replacing OEM Clutch fan)
« on: Nov 08, 2006, 06:56:39 PM »
Another tech question I am wondering about.  (I think I should have left my motor stock after the rebuild).  Does anyone here use a Taurus fan and can you tell any power gains at all? I have been running the LCeng Steel flexi fan for about 3 years now and I am running a little hotter than what I like.  Wished I would have stayed stock.   :shakehead:
bfg KM2's, 3" plain lift, detroit in front hp, twin sticking too.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
i have been having temp trouble too,  i just recently installed a 2 inch body lift,  with drop brackets for the radiator  and  it really helped my temps,  they dropped 20*

btw  the flex fan  is  bad,  pm BigMike,  or  look at his  buildup  of his truck  he runs taurus  fans
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
I run a flex fan and have no problems.  I only have  the stock style temp gauge but as far as I can tell it runs exactly as cool as with the stock fan.  I thought I was gonna have clearence problems with the power steering pump pulley bolt, but the flex fane clears it by a little more than 1/4".  It's a little close for comfort but it has never hit.  I wanted to go with an electric fan, but I went with the flex to save a little cash.

Is there any particular reason that the flex fan is bad?  Is there something maybe I don't know?
Welders Hold the World Together!

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
i personaly hate flex fans because i had one eat a radiator, and about the cooling issues look down in the radiater with a flash light if you see a bunch of crud build up then that is most likely your problem i had that problem with both the tow rig and the toy the toy used to over heat all the time i put a new rad in and its never gotten above 180 deg the tow rig used to run hot wile towing and i discoverd just how bad the problem was on a resent trip down to cali turned a 12-14 hour trip into a 19+ hour trip if you do replace the rad i recomend upgrading to a 3 core if you have the room

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
In my opinion, any fan that can move air for a dependable amount of time (ie. multiple years worth of daily service) will work great. Try to run a 16" or larger fan, at least no smaller than 14" unless you are using multiple fans. I am using my 16" early-style (single speed, two wire) ford taurus e-fan as a puller and it is working great because of what is controlling it............

I Strongly urge you to consider using the http://www.dccontrol.com/ as your fan speed control/thermostat.

It varies the amperage sent to the fan and maintains a constant engine temp. It works MOST EXCELLENT and I am MOST GRATEFUL that I bought it. I think no e-fan setup should be used without it.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki