Author Topic: Fairwell to an old friend  (Read 2291 times)

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Fairwell to an old friend
« on: Oct 29, 2006, 03:17:14 PM »
 :down:  I had to say goodbye  to an old friend today.   :headshake:   the old girl  didnt run.   needed  several items, starter,battery,radiator,bat cables,  GAS, tires,   but alas  she was my Dad's favorite old truck.  1969  Ford 1ton long wheelbase dually, with a HEAVY  11 foot steel flatbed.   He bought it  maybe a year before i got my toyota  93 maybe 94,  somewhere in there.   He used her to haul his mowers  and equipment with.      I remember  hauling firewood  on the old girl,  we had  3 ricks  of firewood  on the bed,  and a large tree on the ground  but  we were down in the river bottoms  and  it was supposed to rain.   
         Dad backed the old girl up to the big oak,  wrapped  chains around  the  tree,  and tied it short to the back of the bed.   and drove out in granny gear.   when the end of the tree would hit a small stump  or something the front end of the old truck would lift off the ground  but it never stalled  or even sputtered, the old 390 v8  just chugged along  like a team  of  missouri mules.   we got to the gravel road  and Dad  was grinning ear to ear.     I'll never forget it.

but  times are tough,  and  we needed the money.  I sold it to DJ  from Oklahoma,  :psss:  he's  a member of this forum,        Hopefully  he'll fix her up  and put her to work hauling hay 
heres a couple pictures   
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Fairwell to an old friend
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2006, 03:31:13 PM »
 :therethere: :down: :rivers:

sometimes u gotta do what u gotta do. im sure it was worth alot more to u than anyone else.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

blackwolf00

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2006, 04:03:11 PM »
it was 

They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done!
Picard about the Borg.

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2006, 04:43:17 PM »
but  times are tough,  and  we needed the money.  I sold it to DJ  from Oklahoma,  :psss:  he's  a member of this forum,        Hopefully  he'll fix her up  and put her to work hauling hay 
heres a couple pictures   

Ya I think she headed for a good home. Ya don't drive to Ar  from Ok to get a truck ya just going to let sit and rust. 

:therethere:

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2006, 06:06:52 PM »

Ya I think she headed for a good home. Ya don't drive to Ar  from Ok to get a truck ya just going to let sit and rust. 

:therethere:
yea  thats what i'm telling myself,  :headshake:   either way  at least its getting to see some scenery  :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2006, 12:53:56 PM »
I cleaned out dad's p/u after his passing, he was a carpenter, and that was hard to do!  Until the day I watched somebody else drive off in it!  Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2006, 01:13:34 PM »
My grandpa had an old willies that he loved to take out and beat around.  No kidding, after he died, no one could get that thing to run.  It was as if the jeep knew that its rightful owner wasn't ever going to drive it again :rivers:  we all cried when a guy came to take it away. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2006, 02:46:00 PM »
  we all cried when a guy came to take it away. 

believe me  it took restraint  :down:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2006, 07:48:02 PM »
The first toyota I owned was an 81 longbed that I had bought at 17. Bought it one day after school and rolled it the nxt back over front, while taking a buddy for a drive. To this day I won't own a yellow vehicle, lots of bad carma.  :disturbed:  My second toyota was a 79 short bed 4wd ,that I had bought from a friend. After getting in an accident and it sitting for a couple years, I decided to marry and needed some cash. So it had to go, but not whithout a fight. While loading it on the trailer, I cought the sidewall of one of the 33 12.50 mud brutes on the trailer spare mount. That ment getting a maching tire just so I could sell the thing. Then after finally makeing it to the auction the morot froze up whith out a warning ,and so it had to be towed through the auction. Becouse it was now anon runing vehicle, the ammount of money I could make droped and the cost of keeing it skyrocketed. I wish now that I had hauled it back home and stuck it in the back yard till the block rusted away. Man I balled the day I sold that thing, lots of good times in that truck. :rivers:

I'm probably up to 30 vehicles that I have owned, most never titled. Seven or more of which were all toyotas, all 4x4 trucks and the newest being an 86 runner that my buddie still has.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2006, 10:37:26 AM »
:down:

It reminds me of when I was down to my last box of Captain Crunch and I had only one blue crunch berry left. That was a really rough time for me

Sorry to hear it Glen. Hopefully she'll be in good hands for many years to come

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

dj

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 519
  • Member since Apr '04
  • whoops
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2006, 04:52:16 PM »
If I still have it and you decide you want it back you get the 1st chance. UPDATE--one of my friends is wanting it for a fishing/farm/firewood truck at least you know where it is and how to find it. thanks for your help and the truck that was a pretty long trip.and we only got 4 miles from the western sizzlin and had a blow out on the trailer so I had to put the spare on and went to wal-mart to buy a cheap tire so we would have a spare I will post some pics after we get it running and clean it up a bit

Toyota + Chevrolet = Toylet
82 toylet
400hp of birfield destructing fun

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2006, 05:30:03 PM »
:woohoo:  thanks   that means alot to me,  and to Dad  im sure  :love:

sorry  about the tire  :down:  shame  we didnt have a scale,  i bet those tires  were happy to get home

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2006, 06:48:40 PM »
The DUCKS :love: (sorry, that was my good memory from that pic from Glen's place)
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

dj

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 519
  • Member since Apr '04
  • whoops
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2006, 10:05:36 AM »
yeah I had that little trailer very overloaded. next time I will bring the gooseneck like I should have in the first place.
Toyota + Chevrolet = Toylet
82 toylet
400hp of birfield destructing fun

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2006, 10:59:01 AM »
it definitely needed another axle under it,   or  some 10 ply  tires  with 80 psi or so  :ack:

the old girl  is nothing but HEAVY

Thumper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 63
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2006, 10:38:57 AM »
hey glen you said it we needed a much bigger trailer never thought i would see a 69 ford 1 ton fishtailing behind me but i did that day, we ended up going back too the 5 inch drop hitch finally and that helped settle it down but that was still a fun trip down there and back, the mountains are very beautiful right now down there, and on the way back we even hauled her up talimina drive for the senic route home. what a trip but it was good meeting you we will have too do it again some time and do some wheeling.
If you didn't make it, and it ain't broke, you didn't try hard enough.

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2006, 11:30:51 AM »
you bet Adam  :thumbs: 

im gonna try and  visit  with some of the arkansas  locals this weekend