Author Topic: Blackdiamond (Gup-C build-up)  (Read 222036 times)

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Blackdiamond (Gup-C build-up)
« Reply #900 on: Jul 24, 2019, 09:46:46 PM »
Looking good Drew!
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: Jun 21, 2020, 12:15:07 PM »
It's been almost a year since I last posted anything on this thread.

My exhaust system has a small leak in it somewhere that I'm sure will be under warranty when I get the time to take it back to the muffler shop.  I'm thinking that I may take the leap and have them swap it out for something with a little more sound.  I don't really like the sound of a loud 22R-E, but something with a little more sound that stock would at least be fun to try and could easily be reversed.  The current muffler measures 18" x 6" for reference.  Any suggestions?

I'm also going to replace my tach that has been intermittently not working.  It's likely a wiring issue, but since it's at least 13 years old and will cost less than $50 to replace, I might as well spent my time replacing it.  I can get the same one so I will only have to reconnect four wires and continue using the same mount.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: Jun 21, 2020, 01:15:01 PM »
I think Magnaflow is an option at the shop and I think I'd like the sound of this.  I'm not sure exactly what it is though other than Magnaflow.

https://youtu.be/_uUskBw89IM
https://youtu.be/malsQtLGzgo

Maybe this?

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/10416-performance-muffler-magnaflow-4-round-centercenter-straight-through-performance-muffler#
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2020, 01:21:20 PM by blackdiamond »
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #903 on: Jun 21, 2020, 02:53:43 PM »
I was super happy with my thrush turbo muffler. It was quiet overall but had a little bit of sound to it
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: Jun 25, 2020, 06:50:50 PM »
I stopped by the muffler shop briefly on the way home and they actually offer Magnaflow style mufflers and not Magnaflow branded mufflers.  It looked like they had something that's equivalent to a Magnaflow #11225.  I think I'll give it a shot.

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #905 on: Jun 26, 2020, 02:00:36 AM »
I was super happy with my thrush turbo muffler. It was quiet overall but had a little bit of sound to it

I also like the Thrush Turbo mufflers.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: Jun 26, 2020, 03:54:22 PM »
I stopped by the muffler shop yesterday and found out that they don't sell Magnaflow branded mufflers, but they do have some Magnaflow style mufflers.  It appears that they are a copycat product and should work just fine.  They were dead yesterday, but I didn't have the 4Runner.  I drove the 4Runner to work today and was able to get away early afternoon, but they were really busy, so it'll have to wait until next Friday.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: Jun 29, 2020, 08:08:49 PM »
I got the tach replaced on Sunday and got the muffler leak fixed today.  The estimate for the Magnaflow style muffler was higher than I was expecting and too much to justify.  It's the first time that I've felt this muffler shop has played games with me.

The equivalent muffler from Magnaflow is $94 and they acted like $120 was giving me a half off deal.  The killer was that the current exhaust is actually 2" instead of 2-1/4" and since the inlet and outlet were different it would have required more pipe work that it was worth.

No biggie, just a lost opportunity to try something fun.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: Aug 15, 2021, 04:35:49 PM »
Today I pulled the rear driveshaft with the plan of having it serviced.  I have a vibration around 60 mph that seems to be worse.  The t-case output and differential both seem to be tight so I'm thinking that some of the marks on the driveshaft may have altered its shape or balance somewhat.  Looking back it was installed in July 2007, so it's probably reasonable to have it serviced.

I also have new tie-rod ends for the front and plan to get them swapped out sooner rather than later as a preventative step.  They are also circa 2007 parts.
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2021, 05:24:43 PM by blackdiamond »

CB.TypeG

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
    • My '83 Build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #909 on: Aug 16, 2021, 12:19:45 PM »
Great build man, Just read through the whole thread.
Very nice attention to detail and thoughtful mods.
Maybe I'll see ya at Tahuya sometime after I get my truck back together, I'm over in Sequim.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: Aug 16, 2021, 05:24:27 PM »
Great build man, Just read through the whole thread.
Very nice attention to detail and thoughtful mods.
Maybe I'll see ya at Tahuya sometime after I get my truck back together, I'm over in Sequim.

It’s a pretty typical Toyota build, but I have tried to overbuild where it makes sense to do so. The philosophy hasn’t let me down so far, but I don’t unnecessarily beat on my rig either.

CB.TypeG

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
    • My '83 Build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #911 on: Aug 17, 2021, 07:02:34 AM »
I agree its typical of a quality Toyota build, but that's what makes it the preferred route  :thumbs:

Solid philosophy, I'm pursuing the same. Upgrade what breaks and strengthen what you can, treat it right, and hopefully it lasts forever!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: Aug 17, 2021, 06:45:04 PM »
I agree its typical of a quality Toyota build, but that's what makes it the preferred route  :thumbs:

Solid philosophy, I'm pursuing the same. Upgrade what breaks and strengthen what you can, treat it right, and hopefully it lasts forever!

I skipped the “upgrade what breaks” phase because I will do just about anything to avoid trail repairs.  I was fortunate enough to be in a position to pretty much do the whole build all at once with parts swapped over from my ‘85 truck.  I really think having 4.70:1 gear in my ‘85 was key to avoid breaking stuff.  It forces a slow methodical approach unless you’re just of an unredeemable send it mindset.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: Aug 19, 2021, 06:33:16 PM »
The word is that my driveshaft was still straight, but was out of balance with some wiggle in several of the u-joints. I should get it back next week and expect this to resolve my vibration in the 60-65 mph range.

Bananaclip

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 106
  • Member since Mar '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: Aug 20, 2021, 08:07:10 AM »
Seems to always be something. Fantastic thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
84 extended cab

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: Aug 30, 2021, 06:19:01 PM »
The driveshaft is back in and the vibration is more acute than before.  It appears that the u-joints in the driveshaft were absorbing the vibration rather than causing it.  It's definitely more pronounced on the throttle in the 60 to 65 mph range.

I think my next steps will be to get the tires balanced and also remove the track bar to eliminate that has a potential cause.

Bananaclip

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 106
  • Member since Mar '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: Aug 30, 2021, 06:56:05 PM »
I was hoping everything would have been cleared up. These are the little frustrating things that drive you crazy. Best of luck getting the vibration sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
84 extended cab

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: Sep 05, 2021, 10:53:07 AM »
I pulled the track bar off this morning and plan to have the tires balanced tomorrow in my quest to identify the source of the vibration. I hope to go for a drive today and see if the track bar was preventing things to move as needed.

My understanding is that the goal is for the rear differential to be a couple of degrees low to allow for rotation under torque. Based on how the fins on the third member run compared to the driveshaft it would appear that it wouldn’t take a lot of rotation for the third to be inline with the driveshaft which seems like the ideal scenario. Maybe the track bar has been preventing the differential from rotating.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: Sep 05, 2021, 10:03:23 PM »
The vibration was a lot less pronounced with the traction bar removed. It almost feels like it could be coming more from the front. What are the odds that both of my transfer case mounts have issues?  Would these or an engine mount lead to a vibration?

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #919 on: Sep 06, 2021, 03:49:32 AM »
The driveshaft is back in and the vibration is more acute than before.

Could the driveshaft be out of phase??  :dunno:

https://managedmobile.com/driveshaft-phasing-importance/

Gnarls. :usa:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: Sep 06, 2021, 09:46:31 AM »
Could the driveshaft be out of phase??  :dunno:

https://managedmobile.com/driveshaft-phasing-importance/

The rear CV style driveshaft was just serviced and was machine balanced. The guy even cut one tube end off and rewelded it because it was slightly misaligned (always has been I guess).  I was all one unit when I got it and I simply bolted it in. Is it possible to do that wrong?  I thought the phase issue was related to the splines in the driveshaft?

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #921 on: Sep 06, 2021, 10:34:46 AM »
The rear CV style driveshaft was just serviced and was machine balanced. The guy even cut one tube end off and rewelded it because it was slightly misaligned (always has been I guess).  I was all one unit when I got it and I simply bolted it in. Is it possible to do that wrong?  I thought the phase issue was related to the splines in the driveshaft?

If it is one piece shaft and no removeable splines the shaft itself cannot be phased.

I don't see how you can bolt it into the U-joint carrier any other way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIsT3svMtVI

Gnarls.  :usa:
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2021, 12:09:28 PM by Gnarly4X »

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: Sep 06, 2021, 11:31:18 AM »
If it is one piece shaft and no removeable splines the shaft itself cannot be phase.

I don't see you can bolt it into the U-joint carrier any other way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIsT3svMtVI

Gnarls.  :usa:

With my CV style driveshaft the distance between the two would have to be part of the equation since it’s not a game of matching angles at the two ends. I might be able to check things with my phone though.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #923 on: Sep 13, 2021, 04:18:06 AM »
Any update on your vibrations??  :dunno:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: Sep 13, 2021, 05:26:54 PM »
Any update on your vibrations??  :dunno:

Nope. Other forms of life are taking over for a while.

In unrelated news, I got some new tubes for my stereo amplifier and it’s like having a new amplifier it would appear.  I can’t say that it’s absolutely better, but it’s a night and day difference. Probably the start of a slippery slope for tube rolling.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #925 on: Sep 14, 2021, 04:09:49 AM »

.... tube rolling.

OMG!  I hate it when that happens!! :yikes:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: Sep 14, 2021, 11:42:56 AM »
OMG!  I hate it when that happens!! :yikes:

The new Mullard tubes are quite an upgrade. The science of tubes for audio is somewhat fuzzy so has potential to be a slippery slope. The tubes are technically the same but the resulting sound is enough different to be heard via earbuds using an iPhone video of before and after.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2021, 12:10:54 PM by blackdiamond »

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: Sep 14, 2021, 08:41:50 PM »
Heyy BD, I thought that if you had a CV-style drive shaft, that the diff flange should point to the transfercase flange.  Just my $0.02   :thumbs:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: Sep 15, 2021, 03:18:34 PM »
Heyy BD, I thought that if you had a CV-style drive shaft, that the diff flange should point to the transfercase flange.  Just my $0.02   :thumbs:

I don’t think anything has changed with my driveline angles from when I had the differential rotated, but it’s possible that the springs have settled just enough…

I always thought that the goal was to point the differential flange at the t-case flange and that my be correct. When I was looking at my CV driveshaft installed I realized that the CV Joint is about 6” long so the driveshaft really ends up pointing above the t-case flange. I had always thought that the driveshaft would be parallel to a line between the two flanges.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: Sep 15, 2021, 05:34:20 PM »
I don’t think anything has changed with my driveline angles from when I had the differential rotated, but it’s possible that the springs have settled just enough…

I always thought that the goal was to point the differential flange at the t-case flange and that my be correct. When I was looking at my CV driveshaft installed I realized that the CV Joint is about 6” long so the driveshaft really ends up pointing above the t-case flange. I had always thought that the driveshaft would be parallel to a line between the two flanges.

People always say point the pinion at the tcase flange. I feel like that is a bit misleading, its not like you just eyeball it. With a CV shaft you want the pinion 2* under the slope of the shaft. The idea is that the pinion will lift a bit under actual use. If you want to checked the angle, get a angle finder ( fancy  https://www.amazon.com/Wixey-WR300-Type-Digital-Backlight/dp/B00T6YZ0K6/ref=asc_df_B00T6YZ0K6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312229526558&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10607907044202652846&hvpone=&hvptwo
 Not fancy https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/measuring-marking-layout/dial-gauge-angle-finder-34214.html both work fine) Check the angle of the slope of the shaft, then remove the shaft from the pinion and check the angle of the pinion flange. The pinion should be 2* lower than the slope of the shaft. It is possible that with an anti wrap bar the pinion should be perfectly inline with the slope of the shaft, I dont know, I have never ran one.

https://4xshaft.com/blogs/general-tech-info-articles/slopes-vs-angles
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0