Author Topic: Need some tire advice for work truck  (Read 2476 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Need some tire advice for work truck
« on: Oct 03, 2006, 04:39:10 PM »
Its time to get new tires on my work truck (2000 2wd F150)  and I'm not sure what to get.  My boss wants something fairly cheap, but that will last a while.  The truck is used for mostly highway driving, with some jobsite usage mixed in (dirt and gravel mostly) 

Any ideas?  Tire size is 265/70R16 

Thanks! :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Need some tire advice for work truck
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2006, 04:48:19 PM »
Hey Jason,
We used the Dominator all terrains on my work van... Lasted a long time and performed well. 

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?rcz=95828&rc=CANINT&tpc=CPBRA2&tp=&tc=CPBRA2

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2006, 05:21:58 PM »
Hey Jason,
We used the Dominator all terrains on my work van... Lasted a long time and performed well. 

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?rcz=95828&rc=CANINT&tpc=CPBRA2&tp=&tc=CPBRA2

Different size, but I had a set on an old 4Runner and that's what I'm going to get for my work truck next month.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2006, 11:20:21 PM »
Anybody got any experience with some les schwab tires?  We've got one right down the street, and I guess my boss wants to go there if at all possible.

:thumbs: thanks justina, I'm gonna go to an America's tires tommorow and check those out.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2006, 11:55:09 PM »
I've been really impressed with cooper tires for quite a few years.  I can't believe how many miles I get outa my cooper muds.  They're usually a lot cheaper than most others too.  The flip side is a lotta les schwabb tires are made by cooper, you just pay a lot more for them.  They'll cut you a super sweet deal on them but you'll lose the warranties.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2006, 12:00:18 AM »
My dad has worked with probably very similar work trucks over the years and has some good insight on a good work truck tire.  I'll ax him tomorrow what they're runnin and what he likes. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!