Author Topic: Interco Tire Corp vs. The Rest  (Read 13398 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Interco Tire Corp vs. The Rest
« on: Oct 03, 2006, 12:05:46 PM »
I know there are many other tire threads looking for advise, but here is what I am interested in:

(1) What are the best Interco Tires for pavement/highway driving?

(2) What kind of mileage are people getting with Interco Tires on the street?

(3) How do they compare in road noise, handling, etc.. to BFG Muds, MTR's, Open Country MT etc...?

(4) How does the handling/noise change as the Interco tires wear?

I drive my truck as a daily driver enough that I am positive that the BFG type of tire is the best way to go, but I am always tempted by the Interco products because I know they are superior off road.

:sofa:

Ready, AIM, FIRE!

:bricks:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

yota-tota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 232
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Interco Tire Corp vs. The Rest
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2006, 12:36:43 PM »
well since you said a BFG is what you should get i suggest taking a look at the Truxus MT's from interco. They work well on the rocks while still wearing well on the street, a jeeper i know runs them and has lots of miles on them and still holding strong.

Or if you got the cash mtr's work great too, i find my iroks hookup a lot better on the rocks/mud but they are close behind.
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2006, 04:28:59 PM »
if you want a road tire  dont buy a interco tire  they are a wheeling tire not a DD tire
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

blackdiamond [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2006, 04:44:43 PM »
Or if you got the cash mtr's work great too, i find my iroks hookup a lot better on the rocks/mud but they are close behind.

Personally, you would have to pay me to run a set of Goodyear MTR's.  I have not been that impressed with them on rigs that I have been around and I don't like the looks at all.  Just my opinion however.

if you want a road tire  dont buy a interco tire  they are a wheeling tire not a DD tire

The reason I am partially interested is that I ride the bus to work and probably average about 100 miles a month, but on the flip side I do drive from Washington to Moab (1,100 miles) to wheel and possibly the Rubicon (800 miles) next year for the round up.  I could probably handle giving up some on road performance, but...
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2006, 05:41:12 PM »
i wouldnt buy  anything BUT a LTB,   they are the same rubber compound as all the other Interco tires  but are half the price

what i can tell you is  the Cooper tires  are the best of both worlds
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2006, 05:53:37 PM »
I love my swampers, They are loud and rough riding, but work well off road, mud, rocks and sand. I expect a 4x4 to ride like a 4x4 and they have lasted pretty well so far. There is more ware from the rocks than all the driving on the street.

Two years and counting. Almost time for 42's.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2006, 05:59:06 PM »
yea that right front has some rash too :disturbed:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2006, 10:35:54 PM »
what i can tell you is  the Cooper tires  are the best of both worlds

:yesnod:  I've bought 2 sets new and have got great life and traction out of both.  I have well over 40k miles on my current set and they're still not bald.  One thing I've always been impressed with is how well they sidewalls flexed, even at high pressures.  If I could afford the new ones I'd get another set, but with the new tread pattern came a substantially higher price.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

throttleboy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2006, 05:24:15 AM »
I know there are many other tire threads looking for advise, but here is what I am interested in:

(1) What are the best Interco Tires for pavement/highway driving?

(2) What kind of mileage are people getting with Interco Tires on the street?

(3) How do they compare in road noise, handling, etc.. to BFG Muds, MTR's, Open Country MT etc...?

(4) How does the handling/noise change as the Interco tires wear?

I drive my truck as a daily driver enough that I am positive that the BFG type of tire is the best way to go, but I am always tempted by the Interco products because I know they are superior off road.

:sofa:

Ready, AIM, FIRE!

:bricks:
IMHO what you need is two sets of wheels,one set with super swamper SXs or TSLs and on the other BFGs!! i think the SXs are the best ALL ROUND tire made and if they made them 42" tall thats all i'd run on my junk!!

ga-toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Jan '06
  • hiluxin in style....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2006, 06:45:52 AM »
To answer questions first:
the best IMO for highway are Truxus MT's, then SSR's
I don't record mileage on street. I believe they should only be used on trail rigs (est 15-30 K)
Road noise is always going to be excessive compared to BFG's or any other brand.  My old TSL Radials which were only 32"s were killing my ears.
The noise always gets louder with age. 

I am running Yokohama M/T's now and I love them, but the sidewall strength is my only worry.  Hope my opinion helps.  If you do any serious wheelin involving low range 50% of the time then get some Swampers.
bfg KM2's, 3" plain lift, detroit in front hp, twin sticking too.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2006, 07:52:19 AM »
I've run nothing but Boggers on all my rigs, DD or not.
I'll usually get around 30K on them before they are slick.
They get horrible traction in the rain, which is fine if you don't drive like an idiot, and fun when you do want to drive like an idiot.
They are not the longest wearing tire, but I won't run anything else.
As for offroad performance, they are unbeatable, especially in forrest wheeling (99% of what I do).

Westy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 109
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2006, 09:21:25 AM »
Interco Tires - For a DD/trail rig I would suggest either the Truxus MT or Swamper SSR. These are both radial tires that will have good wear characteristics on road. They will wear good over a longer period of time, where as generally the bias ply tires will get exponentially worse wear patterns as you wheel them and wear them down. No matter what people say, there is a big difference between an MTR and bias ply TSL type tire when it comes to noise, wear, vibration, etc.

Having said that I have run BFG Muds, A/Ts, MTR's, Iroks, Pro Comp Xterrains...and the MTR's are the best all around tire of the bunch. They get excellent traction in drier conditions and wear very well on-road. My next tire will be a bias ply Swamper of some sort for sheer off road performance.
'86 Pickup flatbed...

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2006, 11:33:13 AM »
I love my IROKS and they get excellent traction in the rocks.  They also have good road manners just a bit noisy.

HOODLUM

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Wrecking Crew
    • View Profile
    • rightcoast4x4.com
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2006, 02:04:20 PM »
I've run both the BFG M/T and Swamper SSR's on my DD and hands down the SSR's are the best multi purpose tire I've used as of now. The SSR's have gotten over 60,000 miles on them I didn't even get 30k out of the BFG's which have proven to be one of the worst tires I've used. The SSR's performed great off road and handle wet pavement and icy conditions almost flawlessly. The BFG's handle in the snow just fine but only after airing down to what I'd use for a trail ride. The only place the BFG's out performed the SSR's was on sharp rocks the SSR'S do just fine but the softer compound made them chunck the lugs easier then the BFG's As for muddin the BFG's didn't perform all that well I got stuck in a hole that I walked through many a time with bald Mickey Thompson baja radials and the SSR's just flat out tears it up. But other than that for the on road caracteristics I'll take the SSR's every time they are quiet for an aggressive tire and as long as you rotate them you'll get plenty of miles out of them. Just my .02
99 TACO 2.7 4CYL  HP d-60 front d-70 rear 5:13's and detroits 63" chevy rear springs second gen rears up front.

http://rightcoast4x4.com/

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Sep '05
  • this is why I'm web wheelin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2006, 02:11:40 PM »
these are my opinions and experiences alone.

SSR lasts forever on the road but suck turds off road.

MT/R lasts forever on the road and does well off road.

Xterrain lasts forever on the road and does well off road.

the best rock tires are the krawler, IROK, TSL(sx)

with a FEW exceptions a good road tire is a bad off road tire and vice versa
I'm going yota JUST so I can buy from Marlin more.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2006, 11:29:20 PM »
I tend to agree with Mr_DIY 

I've never seen an SSR preform very well offroad :dunno:  Onroad they're decent, but offroad, they've got horrible traction.  Personally I've run BFG ATs (on a fullsize dodge) BFG MTs, and MTRs.  I think the MTRs and the MTs are a pretty comparable tire, and I've never had any problem with the sidewalls on either one :dunno:  When I went through the 'con for the roundup, I didn't air down (didn't want to lose the ground clearance under the center frame of my IFS, and I was thoroughly pleased with the grip of the MTs, and the sidewall flex :thumbs:  I usually run them between 25-30 psi, and Have about 25K on them, with a little more than half tread left. :thumbs: 

I think my next set of tires will be a set of TSLs, a little better offroad preformance, and I'm not driving my truck near as much as I used to, so the onroad manners won't be as big a deal anymore.  :twocents:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2006, 11:33:36 PM »
I've got MT/R's and they do just fine on the road. Noise isn't a problem either; much nicer than the warped richard Cepek Fun Country's that came on the truck. Cant speak for longevity as I've only had them for a few months (and my odometer doesnt work). They do just fine off road although my wheeling experience is only a few trips so far.
'82 on 35's, not much else.

HOODLUM

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Wrecking Crew
    • View Profile
    • rightcoast4x4.com
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2006, 05:57:45 AM »
I tend to agree with Mr_DIY 

I've never seen an SSR preform very well offroad :dunno:  Onroad they're decent, but offroad, they've got horrible traction.  Personally I've run BFG ATs (on a fullsize dodge) BFG MTs, and MTRs.  I think the MTRs and the MTs are a pretty comparable tire, and I've never had any problem with the sidewalls on either one :dunno:  When I went through the 'con for the roundup, I didn't air down (didn't want to lose the ground clearance under the center frame of my IFS, and I was thoroughly pleased with the grip of the MTs, and the sidewall flex :thumbs:  I usually run them between 25-30 psi, and Have about 25K on them, with a little more than half tread left. :thumbs: 

I think my next set of tires will be a set of TSLs, a little better offroad preformance, and I'm not driving my truck near as much as I used to, so the onroad manners won't be as big a deal anymore.  :twocents:

The SSR's are the TSL's(depending radial or bias) only they're factory sipped. It even say's it on the sidewall.
99 TACO 2.7 4CYL  HP d-60 front d-70 rear 5:13's and detroits 63" chevy rear springs second gen rears up front.

http://rightcoast4x4.com/

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Sep '05
  • this is why I'm web wheelin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2006, 07:43:12 AM »
the sx is a tsl with extra sidewall bite.

the ssr is a way different tire in both tread and rubber compound b/c it's radial. 
I'm going yota JUST so I can buy from Marlin more.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Oct 07, 2006, 09:05:36 AM »
the sx is a tsl with extra sidewall bite.

the ssr is a way different tire in both tread and rubber compound b/c it's radial.  
   :yesnod: sx is usually a fairly wide tire also.
Time to go wheelin!

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2006, 11:02:53 AM »
ok blackdiamond we've talked about this in person but I thought I'd still post up my opinion for everone else to read. 

These are all the tires I've run and had personal experience with
33x12.50x15 BFG MT on my TJ..............They are ok all around but not my favorite tire
37x12.50x15 SSR      "    "   "...............Better performance than the BFG but not a very long lasting tire
35x12.50x15 BFG MT on 85 ex cab.........One of my favorite tires for a toyota and they seemed to work very well in the snow
35x12.50x15 SSR on a 4 Runner.............Worked well in the snow even thought they were almost completely bald, decent rock tire
37x12.50x17 BFG AT on F250 Superduty... The worst tire I've ever had on that truck and they barely even lasted 20,000 miles
37x12.50x17 SSR     "      "      "  ..........Lasted 35,000 but wore very badly for the last 8,000.  Very good tire for the snow when siped.
37x13.50x17 Toyo MT "    "      ".............By far my favorite tire, very quite, last a long time and rides the smoothest
38.5x16x15  TSL on 4 Runner..................I HATE THEM, rode like crap, and have NO SIDEWALL FLEX or light rigs.  I lost 2 bead in 40 feet
37x14.50x15 Toyo MT on 4 Runner...........My absolute favorite tire I've ever had.  Amazeing traction, rides nice and last a long time
39x13.50x17 BFG Krawler Comp tread......Hands down the very best rock tires.  Granted their on my buggy I can climb up vertical walls

I have to say that after driving on a lot of tires that the Toyo MT is by far the best production tire out there that really isn't talked about very much.  I've wheeled with nearly ever tire that guys use in almost every condition of wheeling and just feel that the Toyos perform the best for a multi purpose tire.  Now some tires will be better than some but if you only could buy one tire for all of your 4 wheeling thats got my vote up any day.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 07, 2006, 11:12:21 PM »
That's some good feedback!  I really dig the toyo mt and the cooper stt, since they're so frickin close.  Atleast one local les schwabb carries the coopers for when they run low on the toyos.  They also seem taller than most other 35s I've seen too :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2006, 02:03:45 PM »
Hey gotrocks, you got any input on the heights of those tires?  which ones are "true" to their supposed size?  :dunno:  I'd be curious to see which ones are "true"  37s,38s, etc.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 08, 2006, 09:25:37 PM »
I'll try to get that

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 08, 2006, 10:27:43 PM »
I'll try to get that

Hey, no worries if you don't have it, I was just curious.  I know that my BFG MTs (35") are about a half inch short

-Ronald Reagan

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 08, 2006, 11:57:42 PM »
well I've got the 38.5 TLS 39.5 bogger (sorry I didn't add those to the list) 37x14.50x15 and 37x13.50x17 toyos, 35 ssr's that I can get measurements from because I have them all in my shop

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 09, 2006, 12:39:50 PM »
aren't the toyos really expensive? ..compared to MT/Rs or BFG MTs
'82 on 35's, not much else.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 09, 2006, 01:33:55 PM »
yes they are a little more expensive....if I could afford it I would like to try running some Maxxis Creepy crawlers....

It seems like hardly anyone runs them
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2006, 01:42:35 PM by Dirt Toy Boy »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 09, 2006, 05:19:27 PM »

well not neccessarily I spent only 205 a tire for my 37x14.50x15 toyos and granted they have gone up in price I still can get them for 225 a piece if I wanted to right now.  The problem that Toyo is having though is they can't build enough of them.   Schawbs is backordered for 3 months on a number of sizes because they keep selling out of them everywhere. 

yes they are a little more expensive....if I could afford it I would like to try running some Maxxis Creepy crawlers....

It seems like hardly anyone runs them

I will own a set of the Maxxis Creepy Crawlers someday for my buggy because they are a really good tire it seems.  The guy I bought my Krawlers from just got on the race program for Maxxis and he is running the Creepy Crawlers on both of his buggys.  They have an AMAZING amount of tread depth to them and really are a stick tire for the rocks.  I don't know how well they do in the snow and mud ut I would imagine that they would do far better than the BFG Krawlers.

yotabj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • MAD FLEX YO!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 11, 2006, 08:19:40 AM »

Here in Alabama we can get toyo's 37x14.50 or 13.5 which ever it is for 189 a tire...not a bad deal in my eyes
'84  Truggy EFI swap ,5.29's Detroit,welded,Dual Ultimate Cases,22re,3 in. downey,4 in.Marlin Front springs on back  114 wb ,39.5 Rockers,30 Spline Longs