Author Topic: 82 SR5 Stereo Help  (Read 2701 times)

sephy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
82 SR5 Stereo Help
« on: Oct 02, 2006, 07:56:36 PM »
So I did a few searches and I came up with nothing.

Here's my problem:

I had what appeared to be a stock harness of some sort but when I contacted the harness adapter manufacturers they said I would have to hardwire my stereo.  So I set out to do that.

From the harness there are four wires marked "right front" "right rear" "left front" and "left rear". I assume that "right front" means right positive, "right rear" means right negative, and so on... that's not the real problem though.

There is a red wire (with 6 amp inline fuse) going to the harness as well as a yellow wire (with 3 amp inline fuse going toward the ignition) and two blacks.

I know the blacks will be grounds, or at least I assume that.  I know one is a ground because I can see it connecting to some metal nearby.

So I connected the speakers, grounds, power (yellow), and switch (red).  But every time I give the stereo power it stays on for a minute and gives me sound but then cuts out.  The first time it burnt the 3 amp fuse so I replaced it with another 3 amp slow burn.  I've tried different connections, such as switching the power and switch wires, connecting both to the 6 amp line, etc.  But every time the power burns the fuse it's running through.

Now usually I'm pretty good with stereos, and I'll probably figure it out if I tinker enough, but I may as well ask if anyone else has had this problem.  Would it be as easy as putting a higher amperage fuse in these holders?

Also, the sound coming out of the speakers is messed up.  It may just be my 82 antenna so I could try a cd, but I'll get to that as soon as the thing will actually stay on.

Thanks guys!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: 82 SR5 Stereo Help
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:04:13 PM »
i cant help u too much but i know that the red wire with the inline fuse is typically the power wire. thats all i got sorry
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:07:14 PM »
Well, first off, you have a pos and neg for each of the front right, front left, etc...total of 8 wires for 4 speakers.

The red is live all the time to the battery...a staright shot to the battery is the best way to go.
The yellow goes to the ignition or any other 12V source that is switched on with the key.  There should be one ground.  This may be your issue.  If you have grounded two wires, one probably isn't a ground and is shorting out the stereo.  Look close, are you sure they are both black, is one navy or dark purple or something.  It may be something like a power antenna lead.  Are you installing a new stereo...look in the stereo casing, it should have a color diagram for the wires.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:09:32 PM »
Oh yeah...if you run a power cable straight off of the battery you want to run a 15 amp fuse within about 12 inches of the battery and make sure that your grounds are no longer than 18 inches.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:13:30 PM »
haha i wouldnt have posted that question on pirate either. hope u got your flame suit nearby  :beerchug:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

sephy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:16:54 PM »
New stereo, yes.  And I know what all the wires are for that one.

I checked again.  Definitely two black wires.  I can see where one is grounded so I'm going to use that one as a ground and scrap the other black one.  It goes back a ways and connects to two green and black wires anyhow.  I'm guessing this is not the stock configuration.

I can't stand waiting so I'm gonna go try it even though it's dark... brb.

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:17:49 PM »
He put that on pirate??  Hehe...some people are just askin for it.

sephy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:18:49 PM »
Nope.  I'm on there but I didn't put it on pirate haha.

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:21:39 PM »
oooooohhh, you have a std cab...I was thinking you had a runner.  Ooops...I don't know what you have for wiring around and such, but when I do an older truck I just run new wires for everything.  I would def.  tape off that second black wire for now, unless someone wired the speaker negatives back to that single black ground wire.  That could be why the different colors on the other end.  Another reason to just run new speaker wires.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:22:56 PM »
really weird..... posted at the same time 82 longbed needs wiring help with stereo. its deleted all the sudden go figger it was just getting entertaining :popcorn: where are u from sephy?
RIP KYOTA

sephy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:50:49 PM »
From Davis, California (woo!)  And you?

So for now I taped off that second ground.  Made the speakers sound better.  Hooked up the switch to the ignition and the power to the power.  Turns on just fine and runs so long as the volume isnt put too high then it turns off (weird)... maybe a bad ground?  I've had amps act up in the same way.

But more news!  The speakers seem to be either blown or the wiring is shot so I'm just gonna rewire it (yay).  Time to order some new speakers!  Good thing I have plenty of speaker wire sitting around from cars and home stereos of the past :D

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:52:13 PM »
Saint Louis, Misery (woo! cough cough gag) welcome glad u got it figgered out!
RIP KYOTA

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:54:31 PM »
I would rewire the speakers, wire up a new ground, wire a direct line to the battery.
When old wiring gets corroded inside it isn't worth dealing with.
As for speakers, I run Focals up front and Alpine in the rear...both real nice.

sephy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:57:58 PM »
Thanks.  I'm glad it ended up this way actually.  I like projects.  And it'll make it easier to install a couple extra speakers while I'm at it.  Hello to Missouri!

I should have figured I would have to rewire when I tried to cut a zip-tie holding the wires and it just crumbled haha.

84_yota_4wd

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 219
  • Male Posts: 831
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2006, 12:05:18 AM »
ya man definatly run to the batt.  when i put my new one in a just ran it off of a wire i found the was always power and when i would turn the fan on for the heater it would turn the stero off d'oh i endedup runnin one to the batt dont make that mistake haha good luck
Marlin Crawler
Developers of the longest lasting and most successful
Toyota Transfer case, Transmission, and Differential products on the planet
(888) 94-CRAWL / 888-942-7295

sephy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2006, 11:55:48 AM »
Aight.  What guage wire would you guys recommend for that?

84_yota_4wd

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 219
  • Male Posts: 831
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2006, 06:56:52 PM »
16 or 14 better off with 14 but if you just have a typical aftermarket deck it usually has around 200 watts 50 x 4 channnals.  so u dont need anything bigger than 14 but 16 is just fine
Marlin Crawler
Developers of the longest lasting and most successful
Toyota Transfer case, Transmission, and Differential products on the planet
(888) 94-CRAWL / 888-942-7295