Author Topic: Simple 4Runner Rear Bumper and Hi Lift Carrier  (Read 5436 times)

TheBandit

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Male Posts: 174
  • Member since Jan '06
  • MS in BS
    • View Profile
    • www.xtremefabricator.com
Simple 4Runner Rear Bumper and Hi Lift Carrier
« on: Sep 14, 2006, 12:01:42 AM »
Here is where I got started with fabrication a couple years ago - making a rectangular tube bumper for the back of my 4Runner. This was my first experience cutting and welding metal to make something useful for myself. After about a year I made a few changes and added a hi-lift carrier.

Pardon me for copy & pasting this from some really old forum threads

---Originally Posted 4/18/04---

After buying a chopsaw and borrowing my brother's MIG, I finally started building the bumper for my '86 'Runner. Here we go...

I started with the brackets. These are 3in channel (.250 thick) cut at an angle to go into the frame, then drilled and tapped for 1/2"-13 bolts (probably will add nuts) and adorned with 0.250 plate for the drop down.

After much measuring and cutting, I tacked up the main structure. This is 2x4 box tubing, 1/8" thick. I decided against a bulletproof 3/16" tubing based on weight. Here it is fully welded and bolted on the truck:

Clearance between the tailgate and the outriggers is 1/2".

---Originally Posted 10/14/05---

Here's what I made to hold my HiLift

I did circles around my truck trying to think of a place to mount the HiLift, but came up empty handed. I haven't built a front bumper and this is too long to fit inside and still have two passengers in the back. So I mounted it as shown to the 2x4 bumper car bumper that I built a couple years ago.

I used 1.25" square tubing for the H frame that the lift will mount to and made hinges out of 1.5" 1/8 wall square tubing. The smaller tubing fits perfectly inside the larger stuff. The hinge points are 3/8" bolts w/ nylon lock nuts. I found some pins at Home Depot to hold it in the up position which I will eventaully chain to the H frame so they don't get lost.

I plan on welding a few bolts in place with wingnuts to hold the jack on (the picture just shows some bolts and nuts I had lying around).

Total cost: $10 in hardware and leftover material from when I built my rock sliders.

This isn't a permanent solution. When I build my cage, I plan to mount it up top. But for now it should work well and still allows the tailgate to drop.

--- Originally Posted 12/2/05---

Here's what it looked like a year ago when I made it. Looks like a bumper car if you ask me.

The original plan was to mitre cut some more tube to extend forward at the corners. I cut the pieces to do it, held them in place, stood back, vomitted, and never looked back :barf:. Later I saw this done on other people's trucks and hated it. So I finally got around to doing this.

Below is a picture of it on the truck. It looks a lot better I think. I am going to leave the ends uncapped so I can still use the hi-lift there.

*EDIT* Here is the reason I left the ends uncapped. The hilift fits perfectly there and I feel a lot safer knowing it wont slip out.

--Update--

The Hi Lift mount doesn't rattle at all. I have a little preload on the bolts/hinges and it doesn't make a peep. I'm sure the jack itself rattles going down the road, but I have never heard it from inside the cab. I replaced the pins shown in the picture with a different type that have a clasp to keep them from coming off. You can get either type from most hardware stores.

I did consider interior mounting, but with space already at a premium and considering my truck is usually full of friends when I go offroading, I decided having it out back would free up some space. I still keep my spare inside, which takes up a ton of room, but all that will change when I build an exo.

Initially I wasn't sure how well the swingdown would work, but I've been very happy with it. Some people on Pirate4x4 pointed out that it could be a hassle to deal with when getting in & out of the tailgate. I've found I can remove the clips and swing the carrier down using one hand without a problem and it only takes a couple seconds. The only problem I've had so far is the clip that holds the Hi-Lift handle to the Hi-Lift has already gotten weak, so sometimes when I lower the carrier, the handle will unclip and hinge down to the ground. That's easy enough to remedy though.

Also, there is some concern with getting the lower hinges hung up on rocks. I did some "testing" at the Hungry Valley rock course that beat the crap out of the bumper and the hi-lift carrier hinges/brackets. They held up great! The rocks ground the corners a little rounder, but all-in-all they held up better than expected. Of course I would hate to back into a tree with the hi-lift, since it would probably push back into the tailgate. But like I said; this was a compromise and a temporary solution. It has worked out very well so far.

That's it for now fellas. Hope this helps some folks!

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Simple 4Runner Rear Bumper and Hi Lift Carrier
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2006, 12:22:52 AM »
Pretty creative with your personalized "plates" :haha:

Bumper looks good, I'm guessing you bolted it up, plate to plate?

kajo4x4toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2006, 12:49:14 AM »
Nice upgrade on the rear bumper Bandit. Do you have any drain holes built into the rear bumper? Since it is tapered up atthe ends and open, water or dirt could collect in the center of the bumper.
1985 exo-runner

TheBandit [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Male Posts: 174
  • Member since Jan '06
  • MS in BS
    • View Profile
    • www.xtremefabricator.com
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2006, 02:33:41 PM »
Pretty creative with your personalized "plates" :haha: Bumper looks good, I'm guessing you bolted it up, plate to plate?

Haha, thanks. Yes the bumper bolts up with sandwhiched plates. You can see in the later pics that I had to cut down the mounting plates when I installed 63" Chevy springs. The shackles no longer cleared.

Nice upgrade on the rear bumper Bandit. Do you have any drain holes built into the rear bumper? Since it is tapered up atthe ends and open, water or dirt could collect in the center of the bumper.

Thanks Kajo. I have been meaning to drill some drain holes into it since I built the original version two years ago. It's one of those things I will probably never get around to.

Tacos4life

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2006, 04:52:41 PM »
How much for one of those shipped to 84010?  :biggthumpup: