Author Topic: Having some A340 tranny problems  (Read 1780 times)

Addicted Offroad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 236
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
    • www.addictedoffroad.com
Having some A340 tranny problems
« on: Aug 31, 2006, 02:00:00 PM »
Not a big slush box guy. Last night on the way home from work my A340 started acting up. I came up to a stop light after sitting in a good deal of traffic at very low speeds. Anyway, when I tried to take off from the light, the tranny wouldn't kick down into low gear. It was stuck in 3rd. So, I pulled over, and manual dropped it into low. I then noticed that the OD light was blinking. I know this is BAD. However, almost immediately I saw it go off, and then it shifted fine from there on out. I even drove it to work today 52mi one way, and it worked without any issues at all.

So, I plan to flush the tranny this weekend and change the filter because I think it just got too hot and the fluid is starting to break down. At the same time, I want to install a temp gauge to keep an eye on it. So, I know that some A/Ts have little NPT fitting that you can pull and then install a temp sending unit. Does the A340 have such a fitting/port? If not, anyrecommendations on where to install the sending unit?

Also, I'm curious about tranny coolers too. What are you guys running? I recently installed one of these in my Scrambler before I sold it along with a thermo switch that came on at 180* and would kick off when it dropped down to 170*.

Any advise here?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Having some A340 tranny problems
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2006, 04:48:13 PM »
maybe its just me but every auto i have ever owned  i would slip into neutral  at a stop light, esp if i knew it was a long light

when you install the guage you will see why i have always done that :thumbs:

and  i dont know the 340 well enough to say if it has a npt fitting on it or not
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Addicted Offroad [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2006, 08:25:51 AM »
maybe its just me but every auto i have ever owned  i would slip into neutral  at a stop light, esp if i knew it was a long light

when you install the guage you will see why i have always done that :thumbs:

and  i dont know the 340 well enough to say if it has a npt fitting on it or not

Well, I flushed the tranny last night. No clue on how long its been or if its ever been done. It was pretty cloudy though. I put some fresh stuff in with a bottle of Lucas as well. Also ordered a Derale tranny cooler with built in fan and thermo switch to keep it at 170-180 degrees. I think I'm just gonna wait on the temp gauge and see how often that fan has to kick in. I'll just run it in line after the radiator. Now to find a place to mount the damn thing.

Anyone have a good place to mount a 10"x16" cooler that will not fit in front of the radiator???

Addicted Offroad [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2006, 08:52:09 PM »
OK, need to update this in hopes of finding the issue. So, here goes.

Tranny seems to be getting worse. Or, at least is getting more frequent. The only adjustments I made to the toy was to adjust the Throttle position cable. I did that just before starting to have issues. So, I went back and adjusted it back to spec. Still had the issues twice on the way to work today.

Basically, what is happening is that its not downshifting into 1st and sometimes even into 2nd at stops. When this happens, I can manually get it to drop into 2nd by shifting into Low gear, but it won't go into first. Once its up to speed though it shifts fine. Then it will shift okay for a while, and then it will happen OK. I am getting no slipping from what I can feel and no hard shifts at all. Just this lack of downshifting. I have noticed that it happens quite a bit after long decents.

I PM'd Brett back channel and he mentioned that it could be a TPS or NSS causing it. The TPS made me think that it might have something to do with when I adjusted the throttle cable which is why I went back and put it back to stock. Still having the issue though today. Any ideas here are more than welcome. I'm at a loss right now.

I'm getting to the point that I may just gut it for a W56 swap. But, I would like to figure out the issue before jumping into that swap just yet.

Help???