Author Topic: Holly carb  (Read 1913 times)

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
Holly carb
« on: Jun 28, 2006, 08:16:51 PM »
Anyone tried the holly rebuilt carb for an 81 toyota? Getting one from Kregan and thought i'd check to see what people thought of them.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Holly carb
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2006, 08:30:09 PM »
nope. But I have run a Tomco rebuild, and those are junk.  I still feel that a good kit and somebody that knows there way around an Aisin is the way to go.  :twocents:

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2006, 08:39:06 PM »
i have one on my truck right now and i can't get it it run right.  i am going to put a stock aisin back on it.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2006, 08:39:44 PM »
There in lies the problem though.  Few people actually know their way around an aisin, considering they're very intricate and complicated.  I don't know anybody who's actually done a successful rebuild on one.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2006, 08:43:40 PM »
There in lies the problem though.  Few people actually know their way around an aisin, considering they're very intricate and complicated.  I don't know anybody who's actually done a successful rebuild on one.

I have done minor kits(gaskets, needle and seat, diaphragms etc.) with some luck, but as far as a major kit(total rebuild, jets and all) you're right...Where's Kyle22R when you need him?? :gap:

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2006, 08:54:02 PM »
the one i have is supposed to be rebuilt already.  it looks clean like it could have been.  i personally wouldn't know how to fully rebuild one.

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2006, 09:25:16 PM »
I rebuilt my stock on after totally trashing it, it has "worked" for the last six months. Now its puttering and doin the blah blah blah blah at idle. The holly was 80 bucks cheaper that the Asian rebuild and I'm figuring its an Asian that holly rebuilt. Worth try i guess.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2006, 01:07:37 PM »
Aisin's aren't that hard to rebuild. Get the gasket kit from any automotive parts store, get the jets & idle needle screw from a dealer, woila. Most cases you don't even need jets or hardware. If the jets get clogged, strip a 1/4" section off some 14 guage wire and use the strands to "brush" out the deposits. A wire brush kit and some carb cleaner spray goes a long way.

As far as the Holley bit, it's just too much fuel even if you do jet it back. Aisin's IMO are better to run than Holley's because they can run on steeper angles without flooding out. Plus they are easy to modify to be able to run at even steeper angles. Think of it. Holly's were originally made for stock car races for tracks and strips. They weren't meant to run at extreme angles. To upgrade them to the Truck Avenger model you have to buy and swap in a different needle and float set up, plus get different jet sizes. That's not including the adapter plate, air filter housing, and throttle cable adapter.

I :dunno: that's my :twocents:. :rant:
"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat: