Author Topic: help me choose a xmember and skidplate  (Read 4101 times)

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Sep '05
  • this is why I'm web wheelin'
    • View Profile
help me choose a xmember and skidplate
« on: Jun 20, 2006, 08:13:11 PM »
I know this is the Marlin board but I am needing a Xmember and skidplate.  I am more impressed with FROR's piece because it is different, innovative, and seems stronger with more clearance.

I also know that Marlin makes a great product.  It is cheaper by $100 and easier to install *I think*.  I need opinions and facts *real world experience* on these two products please.  here are the links
Front Range OffRoad
http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=31&osCsid=87f97c6a1ab4c0

Marlin
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/armor.htm#crossmember

I have an 84 p/u with dual cases on a single tcase mount.  I will be bolting the new motor mounts down to help contol torque.  I drive cautiously but am more inclined to get up an obstacle than to back down.  what do you think?
I'm going yota JUST so I can buy from Marlin more.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: help me choose a xmember and skidplate
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2006, 08:18:47 PM »
i have heard many good things about the budbuilt
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2006, 08:37:20 PM »
The FROR might be a slightly "cooler" product overall, but I can't see needing anything better than what Marlin has to offer.  Marlin's has great clearance and superior strength.  It would be difficult to convince me that the FROR design is as strong as Marlin's.  I think mine would support multiple trucks on mine as it is 1/4 inch plate and is supported on both sides by about 6 inches of frame contact.  I would expect the FROR design to allow for a bit of twist on the mounts if you set it down hard in the the right place.  The FROR uses the case housing for support while Marlin's virtually eliminates any load on the transfer case which is the piece that is being protected.

:twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2006, 10:02:31 PM »
i have marlins and im happy with it i was gunna build one but i didnt feel like spending the time oh and its 3/8 thick not 1/4 its beefy. another advantage is if you tear the rubber mounts your t-cases will still be suported they can flop around but you can still drive if you have to, not that i would recomend that

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2006, 03:58:24 AM »
good input. keep it coming. budbuilt was my first choice until I decided not to flat belly it.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2006, 10:33:26 AM »
by design  the fror  gives a inch more clearance because it bolts to the tail of the tcase and gives more torque resistance,

the skid plate  attaches to where the stock tcase mounts,  so the 1nch or so of rubber there is gone, ive chained my motor mounts so i dont see needing the FROR  but  thats the only benefit over Marlins

Marlins  is a direct bolt in if you order it right
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

rocktoy83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Male Posts: 505
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2006, 11:05:23 AM »
I have a :turtle: xmember and i like the way it fits my toy,and it bolts right up  :beerchug:

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2006, 01:40:35 PM »
I think I'll go with the marlin design. still gonna look at Sky Mfg. though.  thanks guys.

more input is welcome.  I change my mind daily

Bender

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2006, 02:41:59 PM »
I can't say enough good things about BudBuilt.  Customer service is fantastic and the skid plate is solid.  I had a bit of a problem with mine because of my body lift.  No questions asked, he sent me a different one.  The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that it was my mistake.  I still have the old x-member.  He said he figured we'd eventually find someone out here to sell it to and save them a couple of bucks on shipping.  Great guy, great product.  I may be wrong, but didn't he come up with the design?  I'd feel better about buying the original as opposed to a copy if I had the choice.

Travota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Dec '02
  • creepin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2006, 04:46:05 PM »
I love my budbuilt, I got it with an 1.5in lift and I didn't need to cut out the tunnel. I also like that it has a seperate skid plate that bolts to the bottom, it makes the bottom completely smooth. dont worry about hitting the mounts haning below the crossmember or the very rear of the case. And like bender said awsome customer service.
85 toy
01 Silverado

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2006, 04:51:54 PM »
I just ordered up the Sky..in fact it was delivered yesterday.  I would have bought Marlin, except that the Sky version is adjustable.  If you tell them you only have one case they will send you the crossmember without the front driveshaft brace welded on so it will still clear.  They give you the brace seperate so you can weld it on later if you upgrade to dual cases.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2006, 07:09:02 PM »
I love my budbuilt, I got it with an 1.5in lift and I didn't need to cut out the tunnel. I also like that it has a seperate skid plate that bolts to the bottom, it makes the bottom completely smooth. dont worry about hitting the mounts haning below the crossmember or the very rear of the case. And like bender said awsome customer service.

what is your setup?  I am still iffy on whether or not to cut out my tunnel for a flat belly.  how did a 1.5" raised xmember fit w/o cutting the floor or a BL.

I'm pulling the cab off this w/k so if I'm gonna do a flat belly- now is the time.  I have spoken with Bud personally and he is a GREAT guy.

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2006, 07:44:10 PM »
Any oiling issues with the engine tipped after the 1.5 inch lift?
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

Bender

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2006, 07:26:35 AM »
Any oiling issues with the engine tipped after the 1.5 inch lift?

My buddy didn't have any trouble with his.  I think that's about as far as you can go though.  After that, I've heard you have to start worrying about putting the fan through the radiator. 

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #14 on: Jun 22, 2006, 01:58:54 PM »
Another good thought I will look out for.  Thnaks

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 22, 2006, 03:08:53 PM »
just went and looked and I think it's going to take quite a bit more than 1.5" of drivetrain lift to get it flat down there.  more like 4" by eyeball measurement.  I guess I have to get on por and search (w/o using search) until I find my answer.  bbl

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 22, 2006, 03:32:40 PM »
I like this guys work....  think it's clean.  I normally wouldn't link to another board but since this is sort of a "poll" on how I should go about this I hope it's ok.  if not please lemme know. thanks

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435014&page=3

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 22, 2006, 06:22:11 PM »
Since this is sort of a "poll", I'll give you my vote. :)
WHY? :confused: :confused: :confused: Why in the world would you go to all of the trouble to flat belly your Toy(especially to the extent in the Pirate thread) on the East coast? I'm not bashing the East coast, but I have heard that most of the wheeling areas (Uwharrie etc) don't have a lot of rocks to get hung up on. :dunno: I have Marlin's skid and haven't got hung up yet and when I did, I backed off the rock and took a slightly different line.  ;) IMO if you go the extreme to flat belly your rig like the Pirate thread, you will be down several months doing the work. :thumbdown: So my vote goes to something EASY, that protects your t-cases. After all, its fun to wrench on our rigs, but ultimately its a lot more fun to go wheeling! :yesnod:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 22, 2006, 06:33:52 PM »
Since this is sort of a "poll", I'll give you my vote. :)
WHY? :confused: :confused: :confused: Why in the world would you go to all of the trouble to flat belly your Toy(especially to the extent in the Pirate thread) on the East coast? I'm not bashing the East coast, but I have heard that most of the wheeling areas (Uwharrie etc) don't have a lot of rocks to get hung up on. :dunno: I have Marlin's skid and haven't got hung up yet and when I did, I backed off the rock and took a slightly different line.  ;) IMO if you go the extreme to flat belly your rig like the Pirate thread, you will be down several months doing the work. :thumbdown: So my vote goes to something EASY, that protects your t-cases. After all, its fun to wrench on our rigs, but ultimately its a lot more fun to go wheeling! :yesnod:

there you are!  hadn't heard from you in a while... I have designed my own skidplate idea from that pirate thread. simpler but the same idea.  I think I can do it with a little help in a w/k.  I am still deciding but I think I'm gonna go for it.  I am kinda "finishing" all the big things on my list for the truck so I kinda wanna do it once and for all.  also, I plan to do a lot more severe wheeling than URE..   ie. Tellico, Jellico, DP, Brown Mtn, Moab one day, and whatever else I can find.
I just wanna be super capable.  maybe I will retire this idea but for now- I am going to try it.  thanks for the input man.

Travota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '02
  • creepin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 22, 2006, 07:03:28 PM »
what is your setup?  I am still iffy on whether or not to cut out my tunnel for a flat belly.  how did a 1.5" raised xmember fit w/o cutting the floor or a BL.

I'm pulling the cab off this w/k so if I'm gonna do a flat belly- now is the time.  I have spoken with Bud personally and he is a GREAT guy.

I'm just running standard duals with a budbuilt1.5" DT lift there is enough clearnce between the floor and the stock case for a 1.5" lift just alittle BFH...I didn't even do that tho, top off the case just barely touches the bottom of the tunnel, if it does need more room it'll clearance itself.
some of the guys on a local forum have flat bellies without lifting the engine just flat budbuilts with cut tunnels, no problem clearing the radiator either (from what they have said)
But 1.5" lift is the easiest, gat me about 5" more clearance!
85 toy
01 Silverado

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 22, 2006, 07:14:44 PM »
that's something to think about... thanks.

BUT..
how did your friend manage to move the trans, and tcases w/o tilting the engine??? did you mean something else?

Travota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '02
  • creepin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 23, 2006, 05:08:41 AM »
His engine is tilted but not enough to get the fan into the radiator, I dont know him personally and I have never seen his truck other than the forum. So its just here say I guess I will try too find the thread and post it here.
85 toy
01 Silverado

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 23, 2006, 05:03:57 PM »
thanks for doing that... you da man.  I CAN'T DECIDE WHAT TO DO