Author Topic: Boat Advice  (Read 3849 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Boat Advice
« on: Jun 20, 2006, 04:55:20 PM »
My dad is in the market for a boat, and right now he's got his eye on a '99 ski centurion eclipse. It has about 150 hours on it or so, and is in pretty good shape.  Has the 350 merc motor.  We know the seller, have been out on the boat, and he likes it, but was wondering what kind of reliability to expect, and what are the usual problems.

Any advice would be much appreciated :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Willy Mammoth

• Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: Boat Advice
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2006, 05:14:29 PM »
NO!  :_oops: you better just give me the money.

:rofl2:

:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2006, 05:17:28 PM »
   :imwithstupid:  :yesnod:   
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2006, 11:17:25 PM »
Most common problem I see with them is impellers going out.  I'm going to assume it's a v-drive, so watch very closely for a bent shaft.  A slight bend can amount to a whole lotta vibrations.  Otherwise, that should basically be a 350 chevy, so expect it to run like......well, a 350 chevy. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

rlwjaw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -123
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2006, 06:40:19 AM »
Rent one and let someone else wory about problems. That way you have more $ to spend on bent toyotas

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2006, 08:27:01 AM »
good boat check the typical boat problems, Rot, was it winterised every year? carb problems they sit alot with bad gas in em. cold water intake impeller, gear box check for prop strikes they can screw up alot. if there is a new prop and nothing else it could point to a problem.

Wayne

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2006, 02:10:31 PM »
good boat check the typical boat problems, Rot, was it winterised every year? carb problems they sit alot with bad gas in em. cold water intake impeller, gear box check for prop strikes they can screw up alot. if there is a new prop and nothing else it could point to a problem.

Wayne
Most common problem I see with them is impellers going out.  I'm going to assume it's a v-drive, so watch very closely for a bent shaft.  A slight bend can amount to a whole lotta vibrations.  Otherwise, that should basically be a 350 chevy, so expect it to run like......well, a 350 chevy. 

:thumbs: thanks guys.  I will pass on the info  :yupyup:  I always forget which is which, but I beleive it is  v-drive nate.  Those are the ones with the doghouse right in the middle of the cockpit area, right?

Rent one and let someone else wory about problems. That way you have more $ to spend on bent toyotas
Its not for me, its for my dad :yupyup:  he's not into the whole wheelin thing, at least not the fixing part :hahaha:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2006, 02:28:12 PM »
Yup, but I'm not totally sure on the difference between v-drive and direct drive.  True on the bad gas, but if they store it with a stabilizer it should be fine.  Best thing to do is go over it with a fine tooth comb, look for damage to the gelcoat/fiberglass, check for repairs, trailer/docking damage etc. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2006, 02:55:47 PM »
V drive = engine in the back no doggie house but a sunburn platform.

Direct drive = engine in the center under said doggie house.

look it over close if something makes him nervous then just walk away there are lots of boats needing a home.

Wayne

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2006, 05:05:02 PM »
Here is a 2000 Eclipse (it looks like a direct drive)

If this your Dad's first boat, I would stay away from a direct or V drive. It's really easy to misjudge the water level and run the boat aground. With a direct or V drive we are talking about a $$$$ mistake. Another drive option is an inboard/outboard "I/O". With an I/O you can put the boat on the beach because the drive unit can be raised.

Another thing to consider is the water conditions he plans on running it in. A buddy of mine has a Ski Nautique (direct drive). On smooth, glassy water it works great (like a little slot car :driving:). In any rough water it is unusable.

I own the "happy medium" boat. 21ft I/O Ebbtide. It's not the greatest ski boat, but it makes wake a nice wake for wake boarding and it's not the greatest rough water muscle boat, but I leave my Ski Nautique buddy far behind. :twocents:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2006, 05:13:06 PM »
Yeah I agree with every thing shoyrtt said. not for the beginner or rough water. I have had flat bottoms and ski boats and still run the old family truckster, a 91 4 Winns 18.5' with a 4.3. it does not do anything great but it does everything and is idiot proof which is great for me.

Wayne

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2006, 09:26:06 PM »
He's never owned a boat, but he's got plenty of experience with them.  Shoyrtt, that is the boat, except it doesn't have the tower.  It is indeed a direct drive, I talked to my dad about it after I posted, and he confirmed that it is a direct drive. 

It also has an accurate depth finder :thumbs:  :hahaha:

-Ronald Reagan

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2006, 09:30:38 PM »

Any advice would be much appreciated :thumbs:

Make sure theres no holes in it???

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2006, 09:43:49 PM »
Boat: (n) a hole in the water into which one pours money. Also, may be used as a conveyance on water.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 21, 2006, 11:25:46 PM »
Just incase he doesn't buy that one, don't let him within 20 feet of a bayliner, and NEVER buy a boat with a force outboard.  Is he looking to wakeboard or pleasure boat?  I like 4winns boats, they seem pretty well built, but then again I'm more of a north river/alumaweld kinda guy myself.  Otherwise I'd like a smaller flat bottom like a 16' sundance, etc.  I also prefer outboards too, but that's really a personal preference point.  Our work boats have two 150hp outboards, and one of them will cruise at about 45 or so.  I love the look on customers faces when you come sliding up sideways to their boats, them thinking you're going to crash into it, then you just end up perfectly next to them.  It also surprises them how we can back away from their boat or the dock, whip it one way and end up going straight in the other direction, all in one smooth movement.  Gotta love a flat bottom.
RIP KYOTA

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 22, 2006, 12:22:31 AM »
Just incase he doesn't buy that one, don't let him within 20 feet of a bayliner, and NEVER buy a boat with a force outboard.  Is he looking to wakeboard or pleasure boat?  I like 4winns boats, they seem pretty well built, but then again I'm more of a north river/alumaweld kinda guy myself.  Otherwise I'd like a smaller flat bottom like a 16' sundance, etc.  I also prefer outboards too, but that's really a personal preference point.  Our work boats have two 150hp outboards, and one of them will cruise at about 45 or so.  I love the look on customers faces when you come sliding up sideways to their boats, them thinking you're going to crash into it, then you just end up perfectly next to them.  It also surprises them how we can back away from their boat or the dock, whip it one way and end up going straight in the other direction, all in one smooth movement.  Gotta love a flat bottom.

Whats wrong with bayliner?  and what is a force outboard?

My dad is looking for a multipurpose boat, around 20' or so.  He'd like to be able to pull tubers, skiers, and wakeboarders with it (this boat'll do fine), but also cruise in the delta (this boat wouldn't do so hot)  We took the boat out, it pulls really well, and it seems to be in good running shape, but it does take getting used to the flatbottom, thats for sure

-Ronald Reagan

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 22, 2006, 08:55:30 AM »
 http://www.godfreymarine.com/index_hurricane.cfm

My parents have a Hurricane deckboat. Have u considered a deckboat? It's kind of in between a flat bottom and a v-hull.  Seems like it has a shorter draw than a v-hull. I kinda like it and it's pretty fast with a Yamaha 115 outboard. Easily pulls skiers. Plus it's got a live well, trolling motor and a fishing seat u can put up front  :yumyum:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 22, 2006, 10:07:32 AM »
Whats wrong with bayliner?
Bayliner is the "Kia" of the boating world. Cheap at the dealer and they depreciate fast. Most of the used ones seem to be really neglected. :twocents:

My dad is looking for a multipurpose boat, around 20' or so.  He'd like to be able to pull tubers, skiers, and wakeboarders with it (this boat'll do fine), but also cruise in the delta (this boat wouldn't do so hot)
When you say "cruise the delta" are we talking about the Stockton, CA area? Before the Ebbtide, I inherited the old family ski boat, a 19ft Galaxy tri-hull, open bow, with a Merc I/O. I don't have any pictures of it, but this one is similar:

We moved from SoCal to NoCal in 94 for grad school and took the boat along. In the three years we lived up there we must have put 400 hours on that old boat up and down the Sacramento River and around the Delta. The "perfect" all around boat for that area, IMO, is an open bow 23ft v-hull I/O. Some of the new deck boats that run a v-hull are really nice also, although they aren't quite as nimble for picking up skiers in the river. :twocents:
Here is a 23 ft Chaparral deck boat:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 23, 2006, 01:20:16 AM »
Tri hulls can beat your kidneys to death, but I don't really mind them too much.  I was trying to use a good comparison carwise for bayliner, but kia might fit the bill, maybe yugo :dunno: .  Cheap, cheap, cheap.  Poorly built, thin flexy flyer hulls, basically a low budget throw away boat.  Most the outboard versions came with force engines, and you basically cannot get one of those to run well.  I work on evinrudes, and I would only recommend one to you if you had, ummmm, "access" to parts.  Ficht technology (or lack thereof) put omc under, then bombardier bought them and came out with the highly praised e-tech engines, which are marginally better but are still problem riddled.  When they run right they're great, but they're a picky pregnant dog!

For what he wants to do an i/o or v-drive would be much better though.
RIP KYOTA

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Jun 23, 2006, 04:06:12 AM »
I have been stuck out in the bay 2wice i will neaver but anything that floats aging. well maybe a VW.    All i can say is keep a padle with you   
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 23, 2006, 05:08:56 PM »
:thumbs: thanks guys!  appreciate the input.

-Ronald Reagan

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 26, 2006, 10:48:21 PM »
Make sure theres no holes in it???
:gap:
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 27, 2006, 05:04:50 PM »

Good advice. Just had my impeller go out on my boat this year. Not a big deal as long as you catch it and don't over heat it. I think it was about $30 bucks at the local boat shop. No big deal to change each season to be safe.
If you are going to be in the delta, a v-hull is definetly a plus when it gets rough. My buddies Mobius does pretty good in the rough water though, especially when he has the bladders filled up. It just augers through the water then. The direct drive layout puts the motor in the middle, keeping the weight further forward, so it helps a bit to keep it from bouncing.