Author Topic: Parting built 1981 Toyota pickup - Marlin L51HD, more  (Read 4196 times)

dcg9381

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Parting built 1981 Toyota pickup - Marlin L51HD, more
« on: Jun 04, 2006, 04:56:24 PM »
Austiin area.
For a photo, check out:

[/img]http://lakebox.dnsalias.com/photos/1981%20toyota//fabrication/med/DSC04920.JPG[/img]

I've literally spent years building this thing, only to figure out that I want something with a larger cab, as 99.5% of my driving is on the street.. You guys know how TX is in terms of available LEGAL off road space... Anyway.

Located in Lago Vista, TX - near Austin.
Details:
1981 Toyota pickup. I'm the 2nd owner. Orginally a CA truck.
Almost no rust. Orig paint, which looks good when waxed. A little think on the hood, and some surface rust on top of the cab.
Everything OBO.
please email: dginther@gmail.com
Tons of photos of buildup available: http://lakebox.dnsalias.com/photos/1981 toyota/fabrication

What's not for sale: Suspension / Axles (unless someone wants to make me a swap deal) - both axles are locked. Front axle cut rotated, 4.88s, EZ-locker and Aussie locker.

What is for sale:
Motor. Low compression forged motor.
Supercharger.
I'll part the motor - head is a significantly ported early 22r head (lot of casting meat). .5mm over stainless valves. 10-15k on the motor total. .020 cut. New seals, guides, standard rebuild. Crawler cam. $300. Guarantted against DOA. Expect to pickup some power with this head.

Set of 1/2 doors, one 95% complete (just run the latches) - one 50% complete - $200.

Marlin L51HD - early transmission with upgraded bearings, and V6 tranny gearset.  60% of marlin's price - guaranteed against being crap, have receipt.  15k miles on it.

Body forsale. Frame forsale. $500/both, complete. Rock guards are welded to the frame and are probably a lot stronger than the frame itself.
]
New 22 gal fuel tank. Retail cost is about $500. Make me an offer.

Doors can go wi/wo frame.

Seat is like new.

All electrical is 100%. Dash is cracked.

Front brush guard and winch mount, paid $750 (I have a receipt) - sell for $225

Just finished a rear bumper and winch mount. $150 - steel cost me over $100. Has a 2in crop receiver.

Misc electric fans.

2.25 in exhaust system. No cat. $70. U pull.

Anything everything on this truck is forsale.

Tool box setup, LED tail lights - $150.

Rear flatbed and cage - $375. Steel cost was $300. Painted in House of Kolor gloss black.

email me and ask, I probably have it.
Flat bed can probably be adapted to many pickups.

dginther@gmail.com

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
why are you parting it out??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Lonestar Honcho

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Marlin L51HD - early transmission with upgraded bearings, and V6 tranny gearset.  60% of marlin's price - guaranteed against being crap, have receipt.  15k miles on it.

Would like to know some specifics on your tranny. Would the V6 tranny gearset, keep me from running my stock stuff? Also, I'm assuming you want 60% of the price of a "newly" rebuilt Marlin transmission...

Got any pics of the other stuff?

Can pick up. :biggthumpup:

Thanks.
DD '82 Toyota 4WD LWB, L-52HD, 31" BFG's, 3" Skyjacker, Orig. Blue paint with AC.

dcg9381 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
why are you parting it out??

Because I've got an @#$@#$ of time and money into it.. Far more than I'll get out, selling it at 5k.  I just bought an 88 4runner, and I'm eventually going to SAS it.  I'll use the axles and suspension from this truck.

It's setup for 44044s up front and 1/2 ton Chevy's in back.  Good clean 1st gen pickup if you're looking for something off road capable.

dcg9381 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Would like to know some specifics on your tranny. Would the V6 tranny gearset, keep me from running my stock stuff? Also, I'm assuming you want 60% of the price of a "newly" rebuilt Marlin transmission...

Got any pics of the other stuff?

Can pick up. :biggthumpup:

Thanks.

What specifics do you want?  I bought this truck in 2000 or so, tranny main bearing started to fail, basically the L51s are trash - even if you rebuild them and baby them.  Choice was to go to a W56 and change my driveline or have Marlin do a rebuid.  I think the details are on this site - look for the L51HD.  It's a standard L51 tranny (early truck 5 speed).  Marlin rebuilds it, upgrades the bearings (which are what fails) and for the HD version uses a gearset out of the V6 truck, if my understanding is correct...

I have a lot of photos of the truck.  It's completely together and running right now, as show in the top photo.  I have receipts for most of it.  I've spent many many more hours building it than I have driving it.  Finding a place to 4wd in TX is a major ordeal, add lockers which aren't particularly street friendly, I'm ready to build something else - probably with an electric locker and a turbo.

If you want particular photos, let me know.. email is best: dginther@gmail.com

Lonestar Honcho

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
E-mailed ya.
DD '82 Toyota 4WD LWB, L-52HD, 31" BFG's, 3" Skyjacker, Orig. Blue paint with AC.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
why u gotta live so far away?  :rivers:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

dcg9381 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Tranny is L52HD.. somehow I got off by a digit.

heep70

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Ain't nothin like the real thing baby.
    • View Profile
Hi, Are the front marker lights on the fenders anygood?  If so, how much $?  I will email ya.   :think:

Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy".
1986 Subaru wagon 4X4.
1980 Toyota

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
How bout electric fans? You have any that would easily cool a stock 22re with no problems? Im looking to get rid of that power robing clutch fan.
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork