Author Topic: HATE TO DO THIS AGAIN But would like specs 4x2 4x4 transmision interchange  (Read 1927 times)

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Ok, I know this has been asked time and time again, and Ive searched, all I get is someone said this or someone said that or they decide a different route. I have TWO 4x2 w-55/w-56 transmisions, one of which is in REALLY good shape, the one thats in really good shape is a 21 spline output shaft, SAME AS 4x4? ok, is it a different length? can someone tell me how long it is from the tip of the input shaft to the tip of the output shaft? I can measure mine, but I really want to know how long it is from shaft to shaft on the 4x4 tranny? .....ANYWAYS.....IMPORTANT......SPECS, REASON WHY THIS WONT WORK......IF SOMEONE CAN ACTUALLY GIVE ME SPECS AND AN EXPLINATION.....I WILL MAKE CHANGE THE TITLE TO WHATEVER IS WANTED AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO POINT OTHERS TO THIS POST IF I SEE THE QUESTION ASKED AGAIN......THANK YOU...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 10:02:37 PM by billybobf »
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
SOMEBODY PLEASE?

edit: I was reading jimbo74's post and it stated that the reason the 2wd tranny wouldnt work is becuase the output on 2wd's is mail and the output on 4wd's is female....but from my understanding that is just a sleeve that can be taken off...although I dont know how easily.....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 09:54:05 PM by billybobf »
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

yotaweelr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -53
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Feb '05
  • wheelin
    • View Profile
1st and 4th have different ratios for sure, so you will need to use the gears from the 2wd mainshaft onto the 4wd mainshaft. and use the 2wd countershaft/cluster gear. I was going to do the same for a friend, but the donor 2wd trans was in bad a shap as the 4x4 unit he had. ended up using my parts trans I just bought a week before and built it instead. but it can be done. as long as your mainshaft and housing are still good, and the gears on the  2wd are still good. you will not have as low a first gear as with a 4x4 though.

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
so the output shafts truly are different?

yotaweelr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • wheelin
    • View Profile
yes 2wd is way longer.

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
if its soo much longer...then why is the 2wd driveshaft so much longer to compensate for not having a tcase? it couldnt be much more then 2 or three inches longer

yotaweelr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • wheelin
    • View Profile
no, the 2wd mainshaft is longer than a 4x4 mainshaft, it is just that simple. your logic does not work on this one. the 2wd mainshaft is 4 7/8" longer. the t--case is 12" long with another 3" to go into the splined coupler in the 4x4 trans. that is why a 2wd driveshaft is way longer than a 4x4. so really your driveline is about a foot longer than a 4x4. if it even had a yoke and not a slip on the trans side of the shaft, and remember the slip yoke slides in 6".       Quit thinking for yourself and conform.

yotaweelr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • wheelin
    • View Profile
specs, 2wd mainshaft don't work, 4 7/8" longer than 4wd. first and fourth different ratios in 2wd-4wd. will need gears cluster to use the 2wd cluster. I am not shitting you. you are my favorite turd. I would take pics of the differences, but i am not sure if I have to link pics here, or if the site supports them. and if I have to link them, that is to much work.

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
ok....so use I can just put the gears onto the 4wd output shaft? YES or NO.....got the spec on length.....so now just yes or no on swapping output shafts?

yotaweelr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • wheelin
    • View Profile
re read post 3. yes. you will have to use the 2wd gears, and the 2wd cluster, on the 4wd main shaft, and use the 2wd input shaft.

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
good good, thank you guys much