Author Topic: 4runner rear window  (Read 4004 times)

bmxanddie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 557
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
4runner rear window
« on: Mar 26, 2006, 02:27:11 PM »
alright so i got an 86 runner and all of a sudden the window stopped rolling down. I've check the wires and they all look good. I check the fuses none were blown, i have it all tore apart right now, so maybe i'm missing something?  i know the sensor is under the second bolt that hold the top on. i tried to hold it down with a screw driver and press the button but nothing happened. Its just not getting any power at all.

eightyfive

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 232
  • Male Posts: 552
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Re: 4runner rear window
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2006, 03:09:05 PM »
under the driver side of the tail gate...look for the wires leading from the tailgate to the driverside rear quarter panel. check the wires to see if they have been worn.... this was the cause of my tailgate not working. the wires wear there because the tailgate opens and closes which causes friction. if its not the wires, test the motor...
._________________________________________.
||____________||____________||___T0Y0TA__||
||____________||____________||____________||
1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

some modifications here and there....

rexandfx

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 50
  • Member since Oct '05
  • hill-billy ramp travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2006, 03:39:30 PM »
make sure your rear wiper is up and in it's seat. If it is hanging down at all, the window will not work.
86 4runner 22rte- stock...for now
81 jeep cherokee widetrack fullsize- also stock...for now

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2006, 10:21:43 PM »
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

bmxanddie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2006, 12:18:18 AM »
haha the funny thing about that thread link is that i bought THAT same 4runner from skinny pedal :) i even sold him the top that fixed his problem too :greengrin:   hmmmm.... i'll keep trying

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2006, 08:03:14 AM »
I've had the wiper problem and i've had the switch go bad too. I took the switch out and took it apart and cleaned it and it's working good now.
It's seems like there's at least 5 things that can keep these windows from working and they are all common occurances.

85-4roller

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -92
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Save our forest from the sierra club
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2006, 05:59:03 PM »
my  runner had the same problem.this is what fixed it...............  the drivers side latch has a micro swicth inside it, it gets dirty,& will send a false signal to the relay. it can be gently taken apart & cleaned. wacth out for small springs & contact bars when u dissasemble.once cleaned it can be reassembled.it helps to ckeck it with a ohm meter prior to putting the latch& swicth back in the door.you can also bypass this swicth,but will have to be carefull not to extend the window with the tail gate down.........
Save our forest from the sierra club, they are the enemy of outdoor enthusiast everywhere.

4xtoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2006, 07:50:24 PM »
When you have exuasted all "safety" switches and it still doesn't work, try checking continutiy from each wire between oppisite ends of the harness. After abandoning all hope and completely rewireing the entire harness (doing away with all of the "stupid" switches), when I couldn't get it to work, I found a break in one wire under the insuation . It was probably my problem all along.

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2006, 09:40:43 AM »
look carefully at the switch, it may look ok but on mine the contacts were bent just a bit making window operation sporatic and frustrating, just bend em and clean it, worked for me.

bmxanddie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 4runner rear window (update)
« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2006, 01:28:06 PM »
i took a part and cleaned the switch on the driver side quarter panel and still nothing. So then i check the relay and it looks good to me

bmxanddie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2006, 01:29:18 PM »
then i made sure power was going from the actual window "up and down" switch to the relay and sure enough it is. i'm going to check on one more switch then i'll update it again

** the rear wiper button works perfectly. The wiper goes down then comes right back up and locks into place so i doubt thats why the window will not go down :dunno:***

alright so power is getting to the rear switch/sensor (the one i cleaned).  AND  power is getting to the motor because when i un-plug the power wire (pictured) i can hear the relay switch on and off.    My head is about to explode :crazy:

what does the plug with the blue arrow do? the connection is kind of dirty but it shouldnt be enough to make it not work..
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2006, 01:52:49 PM by bmxanddie »

4xtoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2006, 09:24:30 PM »
It looks like the door lock limit switch. I believe it senses if the door is unlocked, and if so it will not roll up or down. The door will only unlock if the window is all the way down.