Author Topic: waggy front springs  (Read 2312 times)

zeke jr.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 154
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • turn key buggys
waggy front springs
« on: Mar 16, 2006, 09:39:28 AM »
so i plan on puttin a 7 leaf pack of waggies up front on my runner, i was wonder what steering mods would be needed. any help would be greatly appreciated. thnx alot.
always remember a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

"I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."

"The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations."

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: waggy front springs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2006, 09:44:54 AM »
Assuming you have a solid axle runner, you might be able to get by with stock steering depending on how much flex and lift you get, but any hard wheeling and it is likely to break.  I know that the waggy's lift 4-6" and get decent flex, stock steering may not be an option for wheeling, maybe daily driving but doubtfull.
You would definitely want to get an IFS steering box and switch to hy steer soon.

zeke jr. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • turn key buggys
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2006, 09:51:25 AM »
k thnx. im told you need to brace the ifs box? why is this needed?

"I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."

"The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations."

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2006, 10:28:47 AM »
When you relocate the steering box on an IFS frame, or instal an IFS steering box on SA frame, it is best to weld in the brace because it is common for the frame to crack from the stress of larger tires.
 Using cross over steering also puts more direct stress on the steering box and frame because it is more ridgid than stock steering.
 There is so much complexity of a stock SA or IFS steering set up it allows more play, more play can result in less stress, less responsive steering, and weaker links. 
Even if hard wheeling is not in store for your rig, it is

zeke jr. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • turn key buggys
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2006, 09:54:14 AM »
ok sweet thnx alot. :biggthumpup:

zeke jr. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • turn key buggys
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2006, 12:20:47 PM »
is it recommended to get a drop hanger box fr the springs? or should i just weld around the stock hangers to strengthen them?

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2006, 07:13:36 PM »
i'd get marlins hanger kit, much more beef and it'll hold up alot better than stock.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

zeke jr. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • turn key buggys
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2006, 03:47:43 PM »
sweet thnx.