Author Topic: 3RZ Dipstick Guide Tube - Need Help  (Read 10491 times)

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 371
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since May '04
  • 3RZ-FE power is that much closer.
    • View Profile
3RZ Dipstick Guide Tube - Need Help
« on: Feb 21, 2006, 01:54:56 AM »
Big Mike, Toyhatsu or anytone else who has done a 3RZ swap I need help locating where the dipstick guide tube bolts to on the T100 oil pan swap. It doesn't seen to line up anywhere. Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Bobby
In Progress: 3RZ-FE Swap Underway.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Re: 3RZ Dipstick Guide Tube - Need Help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2006, 08:51:16 AM »
On the driver side of the motor just behind the motor mount their is a small plug in the block that you have to knock out then slip the tube in.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2006, 08:53:10 AM »
Make sure that you are using the T-100 tube and not the Tacoma one.

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

b_ripper8 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2006, 02:57:58 PM »
I already have the union installed into the block and I can get the guide tube into there. On the guide tube there is a place for a bolt to go about 1/2 way up it and it doesn't line up with anything that I can see. Any ideas?

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:43:43 PM »
Got pics?

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2006, 04:01:39 PM »
Wait a minute I think I know what you are talking about. Is this bolt supposed to attache some where on the motor mount?

b_ripper8 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2006, 02:25:00 AM »
I don't think so, it doesn't seem to line up there. Unfortunatly my camera is inoperative which kind of makes this a pain in the ass. I think from pictures I've seen, the dipstick is suppose to stick between the #2 and #3 intake runners on the outside but it's not lining up that way. Anyone else who's done this?

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2006, 09:16:35 AM »
I'll take a pic of mine tonight and post it so you can see what it should look like.

b_ripper8 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2006, 11:46:13 AM »
Thanks TacoRunner, a picture would really help.

b_ripper8 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2006, 02:57:32 PM »
Anyone else that can help with this?

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 302
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since May '04
  • Toyota owns 51% of Daihatsu Motor Co, Ltd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2006, 04:23:52 AM »
b_ripper8:

I haven't been here in quite a while.  My rig runs great and I got all of the info I needed so I haven't checked back here.

Nope the bracket doesn't line up with anything that I could find either.  I took some tin snips to the bracket and cut one of the bolt holes off.  I then used pliers to bend the rest of the bracket to line up with the center bolt on the intake...between the 2&3 tubes.
1991 Daihatsu Rocky, 3RZ-fe, Marlin super heavey duty clutch and pressure plate, Marlin W56-C-HD, duals, Marlin twinstick, three link front with Fox AirShox, 35's, Toy axles, 5.29:1, ARB F&R etc.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2006, 10:07:16 AM »
TacoRunner is right, the brace on the dip stick bolts to the drivers side engine mount. I can take pictures of mine when I get home from classes today. The tube should be coming out in front of the #1 intake runner and behind the theromostat housing.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

b_ripper8 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2006, 03:18:10 AM »
Thanks for the help guys, pictures would help BigMike. All I need to get it running is a new main fuel line and to splice in the ignition circuit. Hopefully I'll learn to resize pictures soon and start a build thread. Then we can get more 3RZ's out there.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2006, 07:26:25 PM »
Ok lets try this one, maybe it will have what you need.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2006, 07:30:50 PM »
The brass duhicky just right of the motor mount is your pick up tube which slides or presses into your block. On the other side of the motor mount which is now on your left there is a small brass tab that should bolt to the motor mount. Now mine did not have a bolt hole in it so I drilled one and put a nut on it. Done

dbl-low

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since Oct '19
  • Hawaii rock crawlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2020, 08:21:13 PM »
On a related note, my new dipstick seems to be kind of a loose fit in the block, do you guys use an o-ring or sealant of some kind? The old one was a press fit.

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,219
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2020, 03:35:37 AM »
On a related note, my new dipstick seems to be kind of a loose fit in the block, do you guys use an o-ring or sealant of some kind? The old one was a press fit.

Sometimes when I read questions on a forum I wonder what level of understanding or experience does this person have?  :dunno:

There is a reason why the dipstick has a molded piece of rubber compound that seals the dipstick to the top of the dipstick tube.  :yesnod:

An o-ring or a sealant would slip off of the dipstick, down the dipstick tube and into the crankcase oil.  :thumbdown:

If a new dipstick is “loose in the block”, it’s the wrong part or the tube is defective.  It’s a very very simple part.  :thumbs:

Gnarls.  :gap:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2020, 08:20:42 AM »
There are TONS of dipstick tubes that use o-rings.  :rolleyes:
hold this. . .

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:30:42 AM »
Gnarls, he said in the block. I believe he is referring to the dipstick tube being loose in the block. Not the yellow plastic dip stick to tube fitment. My tube to block was a press fit, but I did put some black rtv on it as well.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,219
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2020, 11:14:02 AM »
Gnarls, he said in the block. I believe he is referring to the dipstick tube being loose in the block. Not the yellow plastic dip stick to tube fitment. My tube to block was a press fit, but I did put some black rtv on it as well.

I may have misread his question.  :dunno:

He said "On a related note, my new dipstick seems to be kind of a loose fit in the block, do you guys use an o-ring or sealant of some kind? The old one was a press fit."

I assumed he was referring to a new dipstick tube that is typically a "press fit'' into the block.  I thought he was asking if the tube was loose in the block he wanted to fit an o'ring to tighten it in the block, or use sealant to tighten it.  I assumed since it was "new" and the old one was a "press fit" that it was the wrong tube or defective.  :disturbed:

There are dipstick tubes that have rubber seals that fit around the tube to prevent oil blow back, but the metal tubes are pressed into the block to hold it.

There are lots of dipsticks that have o'rings.  Both my Camry and the Corolla oil dipsticks have o'rings.  Again, the o'rings are to prevent oil and gases from being blown out the tube - NOT to hold the dipstick into the tube.  I don't know about EVERY dipstick, but the ones I see have a plastic molded chamfer piece that is designed to be a press fit into the tube.  :gap:

My new dipstick for my 22RE does NOT have any o'rings.

Although I've been called a dipstick, I'm not a dipstick expert.  :biggthumpup:

Gnarls.  :beerchug:

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2020, 11:28:51 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

dbl-low

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since Oct '19
  • Hawaii rock crawlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2020, 01:55:25 PM »

Thanks man yeah thats exactly what I ended up doing. Forgot to post back that I got it figured out. 3rz swap was a major sucess, running perfect and the power increase from the 22r is absolutely amazing  :yikes:

Sometimes when I read questions on a forum I wonder what level of understanding or experience does this person have?  :dunno:

There is a reason why the dipstick has a molded piece of rubber compound that seals the dipstick to the top of the dipstick tube.  :yesnod:

An o-ring or a sealant would slip off of the dipstick, down the dipstick tube and into the crankcase oil.  :thumbdown:

If a new dipstick is “loose in the block”, it’s the wrong part or the tube is defective.  It’s a very very simple part.  :thumbs:

Gnarls.  :gap:

Thanks for reminding me why I never post on this board. Super helpful and just a great attitude.