Author Topic: Finally, SAS'ed the Migo... and she sits.....  (Read 303897 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I remember once you let me drive it ................. ok it was like a whole 15ft  but it was :haven:

Heaven on a trampoline that just keeps bouncing LOL.  Joe, you make it back out for the roundup and I'll let you drive it for more than 15 ft :eyebrow:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
Joe should come out this year again.
I like to Drive!

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Joe should come out this year again.

Sounds like a plan to me!

Now we just gotta tell Joe :hahaha:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
 Well... I got an idea for pushing the front forward without extending the frame. Not very good pics, but it looks like this guy just used long/reinforced shackles. I would think I could do this and move the rear mount forward.... any thoughts on this?

BD reminded me - I guess this would be a reverse shackle setup?

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
That's a Jeep setup.  I believe the design concept is that the axle gets pushed forward under compression rather than back (i.e. it pushes against the bump).

I think a reversed shackle is something different because they do it on Blazers and I've never seen a Blazer with a shackle on the front.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
That's a Jeep setup.  I believe the design concept is that the axle gets pushed forward under compression rather than back (i.e. it pushes against the bump).

I think a reversed shackle is something different because they do it on Blazers and I've never seen a Blazer with a shackle on the front.

Thanks bd :thumbs: I've heard that jeeps are doing away with the setup and going with the shackle in the rear. Looking for indications why they'd be doing this - what to avoid basically.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
its a rougher ride shackle up front because the axle has to move forward before it can go over the bump vs a normal rear shackle setup the axle moves rearward as the tire hits an obstacle
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks bd :thumbs: I've heard that jeeps are doing away with the setup and going with the shackle in the rear. Looking for indications why they'd be doing this - what to avoid basically.

Actually, it looks like a Jeep shackle reversal is moving the shackle to the back and what I was thinking about was a shackle flip kit.

http://www.coloradok5.com/ordflipreview.shtml
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Thanks!!!! It sure looks easy to do.. I'm hoping it is as easy as it looks - with the Migo :disturbed:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
One advantage is the axle moves rearward as it droops which minimizes the length change in the front driveshaft. Less likely to seperate a shaft at full droop.

The only bad thing is the ride is rougher (as mentioned by the bump theory) and the handling can pretty much suck on the road with any sorta worn parts especially more with a short wheel base vehicle.  :thumbdown: I think this is the primary reason most jeep guys do a shackle reversal.   :yesnod:

Personally, I would prefer to have the shackles in the rear of the spring.  :twocents:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
One advantage is the axle moves rearward as it droops which minimizes the length change in the front driveshaft. Less likely to seperate a shaft at full droop.

The only bad thing is the ride is rougher (as mentioned by the bump theory) and the handling can pretty much suck on the road with any sorta worn parts especially more with a short wheel base vehicle.  :thumbdown: I think this is the primary reason most jeep guys do a shackle reversal.   :yesnod:

Personally, I would prefer to have the shackles in the rear of the spring.  :twocents:

Thank you Tommy... I would prefer to have the shackles in the rear as well. However, we're talking a difference of days of work. It'd be easy to do the switch to front shackles... but extending the frame to accommodate rear shackles is going to suck.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
You're welcome J.  :beerchug: :smooch:

If you already have all the stuff and it's just a matter of bolting it up...why not try the front mounted shackle to see if it will suffice for the trip? If it doesn't work to yer liking then you will know for sure if you need to commit to the other work necessary to get what you're looking for.  :biggthumpup:

Hope you get this done before the last minute...  :crossed: :lipsrsealed:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
You're welcome J.  :beerchug: :smooch:

If you already have all the stuff and it's just a matter of bolting it up...why not try the front mounted shackle to see if it will suffice for the trip? If it doesn't work to yer liking then you will know for sure if you need to commit to the other work necessary to get what you're looking for.  :biggthumpup:

Hope you get this done before the last minute...  :crossed: :lipsrsealed:

I have to take a look at my mounts and make sure that's something I can do. I think I may have to put different mounts in the rear in order to do this, and I'm exploring all of my options before I do that because if I do that then I'm stuck with it for awhile.

HAHA When do I ever get anything done before the last minute? We spent last night in the ICU with Matt's aunt (as well as Monday evening), not to mention we're f/t students and work full time. I've opened the back of the Migo to see that my shocks were not there and that's it. I haven't touched it since LOL.

:burnout: Will update after I take a look and see what this'll take.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Sorry to hear about Matt's aunt... :sad2: Give Matt a  :smooch: for me.

Yeah, I like to see which way you go with this. Sounds interesting. I just hope whatever you go with, it's something that can be done in time and will work for ya and certainly hope it won't cause you any trouble on the trail. :thumbs: :crossed:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Sorry to hear about Matt's aunt... :sad2: Give Matt a  :smooch: for me.

Yeah, I like to see which way you go with this. Sounds interesting. I just hope whatever you go with, it's something that can be done in time and will work for ya and certainly hope it won't cause you any trouble on the trail. :thumbs: :crossed:

Thanks, will do :smooch:

I've just gotta get some time to tear into it and see what can be done. Today it ain't happening :ack: Maybe since he'll be workin on his rig on Saturday at a friend's house, I might pull mine out and work on mine :hyper:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Another idea:

How bout if I take my leaf pack apart and put a new hole in the main, say like 2 inches forward - then put it all back together.  I would think that would make it weaker at the ubolts, and it seems like I'd be busting centerpins all day long. Anyone ever do this?

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Another idea:

How bout if I take my leaf pack apart and put a new hole in the main, say like 2 inches forward - then put it all back together.  I would think that would make it weaker at the ubolts, and it seems like I'd be busting centerpins all day long. Anyone ever do this?
  :thumbdown: :nonono:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Ever try drilling into spring steel?  :thumbdown:    It's not easy.  :conf:  What about redrilling the spring perch? Is that doable on yours?  :dunno:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Ever try drilling into spring steel?  :thumbdown:    It's not easy.  :conf:  What about redrilling the spring perch? Is that doable on yours?  :dunno:

Someone else mentioned having a new main actually made custom...... :dunno:

Nope, never tried to drill into it...

I don't have 2" worth on the perch. I can probably go a half inch or so, but I don't see that being much of a benefit for the work involved.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Someone else mentioned having a new main actually made custom...... :dunno:
It could be done. but is it cost effective?  :dunno:

I don't have 2" worth on the perch. I can probably go a half inch or so, but I don't see that being much of a benefit for the work involved.
2" is a lot but what about the steering box? Is it far enough forward to move the axle that much or will you have to relocate it?

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
It could be done. but is it cost effective?  :dunno:

2" is a lot but what about the steering box? Is it far enough forward to move the axle that much or will you have to relocate it?

Most likely not cost effective, but it'd take care of the problem I think :disturbed:.

Steering is another issue. Right now my pitman arm hits the tie rod when I flex..... :ack: So I'm going to have to rethink steering when I push the front forward. Either way, I gotta go forward and I'm thinking 2" is just about right. I'm still running the stock box and have it in the stock position. I'm okay with moving it *if I have room to move it*.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Sounds like you got a good buncha work ahead of you...better get to  :whip: or else...  :yupyup:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Sounds like you got a good buncha work ahead of you...better get to  :whip: or else...  :yupyup:

:thud: I know.... If I can manage - I may just go with the front shackle and see how it does through MCR.... :dunno: yet.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
That's pretty much what I was saying earlier. At least to get you through this run and then fix it afterwards.  :biggthumpup:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
That's pretty much what I was saying earlier. At least to get you through this run and then fix it afterwards.  :biggthumpup:

:doh: Too many things runnin through my head LOL. I will most likely do that UNLESS it takes a bunch of moving of spring mounts :ack:

TacoCrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Hey back to the shackels. you are thinking about putting the shackels up front of rhe spring in the front like the older jeeps or the other way around? If so the only thing i have heard bad about it is, if the shcackles are longer and while wheeling you run one of the shackles into a rock it could bend the springs and ruin them. Heppened to a guy i know in his jeep just got to look out for that.
SAS 2002 Tacoma 3.4L, Dual cases, Tons, Etc.

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Hey back to the shackels. you are thinking about putting the shackels up front of rhe spring in the front like the older jeeps or the other way around? If so the only thing i have heard bad about it is, if the shcackles are longer and while wheeling you run one of the shackles into a rock it could bend the springs and ruin them. Heppened to a guy i know in his jeep just got to look out for that.

Yes, that is what I'm thinking about doing - running the shackles in the front rather than the back. I have to move my front end forward and I ran out of frame, so this is the most cost effective and quick way I can think of doing it....

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I found a solution - I think:

Either these (they're like 8" long), I can weld them up and have them stick out in front of the frame 2":

Or this, which is designed specifically for pushing out the hanger and moving the front forward. However, I like the above idea better:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
The top one looks like a good choice to me.  :yesnod:  I would box in the top side of it where it sticks out past nthe tip of the frame and should pretty much be good, I would think.  :biggthumpup: