Author Topic: rear drum trouble! please help!  (Read 3478 times)

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
rear drum trouble! please help!
« on: Jan 13, 2006, 11:30:23 PM »
ok so mabe im tired and not seeing something but im havin trouble fitting the rear drum back on the brakes. i just slapped a new set of shoes in the rear but now the drum itself wont slide over the shoes? WTF  ??? the wheel cylinders are bottomed out against eachother so the top is in as far as it goes, and the lower points of the shoes are also butted up against their place against the mount held to the backing plate. everything seems to be in order but the drums will not slide on. they came off fairly easy before i changed the shoes but both shoes had nearly the same amount of pad on them (i changed em just cus i want new stuff on there)

i have a digi if anyone needs to see what im talking about.

**in fact ill go take a picture while i wait out a response**

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8319
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
Re: rear drum trouble! please help!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2006, 11:48:39 PM »
Back the star wheel adjuster off & they will fit. The new brake shoes are larger in diameter than your worn ones.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2006, 12:08:05 AM »
checked that, they are backed off enough to where i have slack between the adjuster fork and the shoe. heres a picture of how its on there now....

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2006, 12:09:03 AM »
Back the star wheel adjuster off & they will fit. The new brake shoes are larger in diameter than your worn ones.
X2...and make sure your ebrake isn't hung up...that one caused me a huge headache.

edit: now that you have pics up, back the adjuster all the way in, and press inward on the shoes. Make sure the fluid level wont overflow.  Might need to crack a bleeder to let em release.

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2006, 12:11:25 AM »
the shoes are just not allowing the drum to slide on as they stick out too far. ive checked the book and all is hooked up correctly.

imma see if i have anything binding or obstructing the shoes from contracting more but i highly doubt there is.

also... are the little pistions on the wheel cylinder adjustable if you turn them in any direction? might that be a possible cause that the pistons are sticking out too far not allowing the top of the shoes to contract in far enough?

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2006, 12:12:17 AM »
you have to get the adjuster closer together.

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2006, 12:45:15 AM »
......... just checked and they are backed off so far that now it has freeplay between the notches where the fork ends sit. i try to push the shoes closer together and all it does is pivot on the wheel cylinder and the lower mount. is there something within the wheel cylinder that could be preventing the cylinder to compress all the way?i need around an 1/8th inch of clearance before the shoes allow the drums to slide on.

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2006, 12:51:00 AM »
 :headshake:  im this close to just  :bat: the living hell out of it, take the third out and swap it over to my 84 housing instead  :down:  i dont necessarliy have the time to be wasting on putting brake drums on it  :red_eyes:

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2006, 02:55:49 AM »
In your picture we can still see some threads on your adjuster, crank it all the way in and and then tap on your shoes.  Also, make sure your brake shoes are centered up, if they are off to one side a little the drum won't go on!  Another thing is to check to see if there is a little ridge on the very out lip of the drum, this can prevent the drum from going on too!  I used to help do brakes at les schwab!  Crank the adjuster ALL the way in, put the drum on and then adjust it up to where the shoes are dragging just a little!  If the adjuster is as far as it will go then you need to get a new adjuster!  I always take mine apart and put a little never seize on them!

What's up with the wheel Cylinder?  It looks like you welded it in?  :headscratch: 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2006, 08:43:07 AM »
haha, the wheel cylinder has some weird sealant around it that has a weird texture to it so it looks all weird but nah, its not welded.

imma give it another try this morning, however i did find that between 86-87 there are 2 diffrent part numbers for brake shoes on the rear end. imma go take a look at the two side by side and see if theres possibly a pad diffrence, mabe even a diffrence between pad thickness ??? then ill go from there

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2006, 05:39:34 PM »
hey guys, came to find out i was right about the cylinders bottoming out. took a look at the shoes themselves and find that the top notch where they sit on the cylinder pistons are LONGER then the ones i had bought. seems like theres a diffrence between the 86 and 87 IFS rear end drum shoes. the 87 and later use a wider wheel cylinder thus making the mounting tab a shorter stub........... got i feel like a tard wasting all that time last night :doh: !

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8319
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2006, 06:11:17 PM »
Heck, you gained some knowledge to share with the next person that has this problem. :thumbs:
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2006, 08:05:20 PM »
yea, i feel less grumpy about it now. now im working on servicing the front birfs so im likely to run back and fourth asking questions about it as well.... lol