Author Topic: Idle surges after water pump install???  (Read 2085 times)

Scott39

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 153
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Idle surges after water pump install???
« on: Jan 12, 2006, 05:43:55 PM »
What the? :dunno:  I`ve never heard of this, my idle goes up and down real fast after I just put in a new water pump. :smack:
I looked in my toyota manual, and can`t find the fix, so I figured I would ask the pros on here. :thumbs:
JC Rules <><
Earth First, we will screw up the rest of the planets later.

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: Idle surges after water pump install???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2006, 05:52:32 PM »
What the? :dunno:  I`ve never heard of this, my idle goes up and down real fast after I just put in a new water pump. :smack:
I looked in my toyota manual, and can`t find the fix, so I figured I would ask the pros on here. :thumbs:
you need to "burp" the cooling system, there is air trapped in there some where :thumbs:

Scott39 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:07:23 PM »
Thats what I kinda thought, just went out and drove it, seems to be fine, needs alittle more coolant.
Thanks for the reassurance.
JC Rules <><

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:37:39 PM »
A quick way to get a large majority of the air out, is when it's cold, loosen a hose clamp on one of your heater core hoses located in the engine compartment. Pick a hose clamp that seems to be the highest point in the engine bay (most likely where a huge air pocket is). After you loosen that clamp, wiggle the hose to break any seal it has with the metal line so that the hose is just resting there loosely (so that the air can easily escape).

Then remove the radiator cap and fire it up. While you are in the cab, move the climate lever all the way to full Hot to make sure that their is circulation in the heater. Let it idle like this for like 5 mins until it warms up. A couple quick checks on your temp gauge every now and then is a good idea as you might not be sure just how large that air pocket is. Then move back to the engine bay....

While it is idling, the water pump will be pushing water and air around, and the air will be puked out the loose heater hose. While this is happening, the coolant in the radiator will also be dropping, so keep adding more and more water/coolant until it starts puking out of that loose heater hose. I usually let the water run out of the loose hose for 5-10 seconds just to make sure all the air is out, and then I quickly tighten up the hose clamp to close the system. Then I double check the radiator and overflow tank and then button everything up and start daily driving it.

That should be take care of it.

Also, the over flow tank serves a purpose, so monitor it. It's especially important when you are adding or removing coolant from the system. I would look at the level in the overflow tank again tonight when you get home, then again in a couple of days, and then a 3rd time after 1 week of driving. As the system warms to operating temp, it builds enough pressure to operate the radiator cap, and if there is any air in the radiator, then it will push that air out into the overflow tank, and of course this air just dissipates into the atmosphere. But then when the truck cools, it has to draw water back into the system to take up the space left vacant by the air it burped out.

So it's common for the overflow to loose 20-60% of its storage even when you think all of the air is out of the system.

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2006, 06:43:14 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Scott39 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2006, 09:30:54 PM »
Thanks Mike for all the info :biggthumpup:
Scott
JC Rules <><

toynizzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 125
  • Member since Aug '05
  • wheel it till it breaks then fix and go again!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2006, 01:40:25 PM »
my ride still has the idle jumping problem,maybe i have a air bubble after i changed the lower intake out,maybe is my whole prob and not my comp and tps as the codes told me it was,sorry dont mean to thread steal on ya
85 xtra cab pretty stock for now but lots of stuff to come!!