Author Topic: Transfer Case....Stuck in H2  (Read 5407 times)

YOguyDa

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 160
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
Transfer Case....Stuck in H2
« on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:45:14 AM »
I've got an 81' with a 4-speed and when i test drove my truck, 4wd worked fine. But a few weeks after i got it, i was out fishing and had to use 4wd on a muddy road.....When i pulled over to unlock the hubs and put her back in H2, i had a hell of a time. Its been months now since i've used 4wd, and it seems impossible to get it out of H2. My dad has an '86 and he said he had a hard time "ONCE" and it hasnt been a problem for him since. Im sure somebody knows whats up.....
Thanks
'86 2wd now...

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Transfer Case....Stuck in H2
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:45:47 AM »
Well, usually the problem is with the 2WD/4WD shift hub not releasing the 4WD Idler Gear, as you can have different loads on the front and rear axles which can put a binding force onto that shift hub.

So typically, if you are wheeling and are under a load, like going down hill or turning a very sharp corner, it is difficult to get OUT of 4WD and into 2WD.

But if you are having a tough time going from 2WD to 4WD, then this is highly uncommon.

It is impossible for the interlock pin to "lock" the t/case out of 4WD, so it can't be that. My only guess would be that either your shift rails have excessive dirt or rust in there, the shift springs are rusted and now have a spring constant approaching infinity, or your 2WD/4WD shift hub is badly worn from many miles of continuous grinding into gear, and it will not go over the 4WD idler gear.

My advise to you would be to first pull out a 6mm allen socket and remove both of the shift spring retaining bolts located at the top of the #2 t/case housing on both sides (drivers & passengers) of the t/case (they are the only allen head bolts on an entire stock t/case). Then remove the shift spring and the 0.5" detent ball for an inspection. If they look good, then I would squirt some WD40 in the holes while someone else wiggles the shifter around trying to engage 4WD.

Best of luck
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2006, 06:53:22 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:40:27 PM »
This is somewhat of a common problem and tends to be more common on the eariler trucks that have a softer output shaft.
From the factory, the shift hub and the matching shift collar have a 2 degree taper that helps lock the t/case in gear.
After thousands of miles in 2 wd, and then shifting into 4wd, the worn hubs were mated to the unused 4wd hub.
This can result in a "locked in " condition which can usually be unlocked by shifting into reverse and working the clutch untill the hubs free up.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 160
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2006, 02:53:43 AM »
Im sure its nothing major, my truck has only 95k original miles, and the underbody tells the tail of a life without rocks, mud or hills. Rest assured, i wont let your priceless knowledge go to waste. I'll get up in the morning and figure it out. As long as that shift lever is stuck in H2 my truck is without its soul. Thanks guys.
'86 2wd now...

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2009, 10:26:49 AM »
This is somewhat of a common problem and tends to be more common on the eariler trucks that have a softer output shaft.
From the factory, the shift hub and the matching shift collar have a 2 degree taper that helps lock the t/case in gear.
After thousands of miles in 2 wd, and then shifting into 4wd, the worn hubs were mated to the unused 4wd hub.
This can result in a "locked in " condition which can usually be unlocked by shifting into reverse and working the clutch untill the hubs free up.

Marlin

Mine has been doing this alot lately.  Hard to shift out of 4wd after wheeling.  I have to really smack the shifter (top shift) with my hand to get it to move, then it kinda pops out of 4wd into 2wd.  Feels like it has preload of some kind on it.  I tried to unload it in reverse and that does seem to help, but it is still hard to shift out of 4wd. Is there a way to fix this, seems like I've had three Toys that have done this same sort of thing...  At first I thought that my front diff or axles were binding up causing alot of tension on something the t-case, but I guess, accordng to what you said, that it is definately a transfer case issue??
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

scott_h

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:35:24 AM »
My '86 runner is stuck in 4wd and wont come out. Shifter knob feels like it is just flopping around. Any suggestions?

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2010, 03:02:58 PM »
My '86 runner is stuck in 4wd and wont come out. Shifter knob feels like it is just flopping around. Any suggestions?
Yeah, take the cover off and look inside to see what the problem is.  Maybe your shifter slipped out of position in there.
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:30:16 AM »
i've had this also in trucks that don't get 4wd used alot.  Typically I can put the tranny in 1st gear and then I let the clutch out slowly with a little gas the transfer case will shift easily and the truck begins to move.  I've done this going in and out 4wd.  Obviously not idea but never really had any transfer case problems arise in these trucks.

scott_h

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:38:39 PM »
The shifter had come out of the cogs, not sure why but it is shifts in and out now. Thanks.

crawlerdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 395
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:01:57 PM »
I have that problem in my Runner. I just shut the engine off and it comes right out of 4wd.
Precision guess work done here.