Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 893950 times)

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,500
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
I have a line on a 1996 2wd auto 4runner engine, guy says it is a 2.7 3RZ and twin coil but I haven't seen it yet.  First... does this sound correct?  Second... does the 2nd gen have a interior fuse box like Mike refers to with the 3rd gen?  I feel like I've seen info scattered around but haven't been able to pinpoint these answers.  Is anyone able to clarify?    thx in advance. 

Don't know about the fuse box. But my 3rz swap donor was a 98 2wd 5 speed 2.7 liter. 4runner
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

sjelite

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
Anyone know of a shop near central CA that will perform the 3rz swap?

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile

dunejunkie

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Need a little advice that I can't seem to find the answer to. I'm swapping in a 2004 3rz to replace my 22re in my 89.

I'm working on installing the fuel vapor canister (evap) Part# 77740-04010 and wondering if I'll be able to use my existing tank since it only has 2 fuel lines and 1 vacume line. Looking at what was posted by BigMike on page 1, the 3rd gen canisters have 2 fuel lines and 2 vacume lines(my canister).

Do I need to replace my fuel tank since I have 2 vacume lines on this canister, or is there a work around to use my existing tank?
I believe my existing tank doesn't have the check valve port.

Also, for others who've done a 3rd gen 03/04 3rz swap, did you install the canister in the engine bay or near the fuel tank like they installed on factory 03/04 Tacoma's.

Thanks for any advice you can provide. I've been reading all your posts for countless hours trying to wrap my head around this swap. It's my first engine swap, so I appreciate any advice.

Chris

Quoting BigMikes post.
"Comparing the 1st to the 3rd gens, the 3rd gen (2000(?)-2004) is far easier to do the wiring because the interior fuse box can be eliminated much easier than with the 1st gen wiring (1995-1996). Also, surprisingly enough, there are fewer circuits to hook up with the newer system, however the purge canister now has 4 vacuum lines, two fuel tank lines, and two vacuum solenoids (4 wires there) as compared to the early system, which only had 1 fuel tank line and 1 vacuum line and 1 solenoid to hook up."
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2018, 10:25:43 AM by dunejunkie »

Mightymouse84

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
For those of you that have contributed to this thread thank you. I wish photobucket didnt go south. There was a lot of good pics in the thread.

Blase

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
New to this board.  I'm planning a light weight tube buggy build and would like to know the weights of the 2.7L and 3.4L Toyota motors. 

I have searched and not found what I'm looking for. 

I really want to a 2.7L but the 3.4L are SOOO much easier to find in my area!!  I bought two rolled 4runners with running 3.4L for under $500 total but still no 2.7L's.  :tantrum:  Pull a part has some but they won't sell me the whole truck.....just pc's and I'd prefer to have the donor truck at my shop to slowly take what I need off of it!

Thanks in advance!  GREAT GREAT info. on this board and in this thread.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
New to this board.  I'm planning a light weight tube buggy build and would like to know the weights of the 2.7L and 3.4L Toyota motors. 

I have searched and not found what I'm looking for. 

I really want to a 2.7L but the 3.4L are SOOO much easier to find in my area!!  I bought two rolled 4runners with running 3.4L for under $500 total but still no 2.7L's.  :tantrum:  Pull a part has some but they won't sell me the whole truck.....just pc's and I'd prefer to have the donor truck at my shop to slowly take what I need off of it!

Thanks in advance!  GREAT GREAT info. on this board and in this thread.

3rz is 168kg/370 lbs

Blase

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
3rz is 168kg/370 lbs

Thanks.  Just out of curiosity do you know what a 22RE and 3.4L weigh?  I see lots of conflicting numbers on the internet for those.  Likely due to how many accessories were on them when they were weighed.

dunejunkie

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Still working on the final few items for my 2004 3RZ swap.

Trying to get the tac meter working.
Swapped out a 22re from a 1989 toyota with a 2004 3RZ, from a Tacoma.

I know what wire goes to the TAC in the instrument panel. Solid black.
I know the ODB7 plug connectes to the black solid wire going to the tac.
I have B 13 (connector E6 pin 13) LG-B wire from ECM, connected to the black wire that goes to the tac.

What I can't seem to locate is where the signal for the tac is coming from in my IK2 plug. Acoording to my manual, it should be IK2 Pin 11, LG-B, but there is no PIN 11 used on my IK2 plug.

I'm trying to find out where the 2004 3rz gets signal from the motor to supply the TAC?

Thanks.
Chris

MikeBoyle

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • Pics of my pile
Ordered one of the VSS sensors https://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/parts-upgrade/misc-hardware/vehicle-speed-sensor-mci for my swap. Where (what vehicle) do I source the pigtail that fits the sensor?

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
Ok Folks,  I read the thread and My eyes may have blurred :shocking: over trying to sort through most of it,  It would be awesome if someone sorted out the thread info or made a 3rz swap bible with sections of info sort of like the Pirate bible. I still have some questions as well

I have all my stuff to do the swap for the most part

My Set up
95 22re 4runner
Donor 2000 Tacoma 4x4 5 speed (federal single cat unit :) )  Complete truck.  Frame horribly rusted out but motor/tranny are sweet.  Cant believe how bad this frame is
ORS Wiring harness ordered
Toyota only swaps motor mounts ordered
Oil pan kit ordered

My questions initially.  Does anyone know what I will have to do with my fuel tank system?  I will be pulling the bed in the next week on the Tacoma to see what the arrangement is,  How many lines and the electrical as well.  Does anyone know what will have to happen here?  Anyone doe the swap with the 22re stock tank?   thanks in advance if you have the answer.
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I think your 95 tank is similar to my 88.  I kept the tank completely stock.  There are 3 lines, fuel, fuel return, and vapor return. 

For the fuel line I used my stock line from the tank to the union, but carefully bent the line where it came out of the tank to turn towards the driver's frame rail.  Then used the line from my 3RZ donor vehicle, to get from the union up to the 3RZ.  The unions can be very stubborn to get apart, but they do come apart.  I had to carefully clean the threads on mine with a small file to get it to thread back together, but it worked nicely after cleaning the threads.  I didn't use the 88 fuel filter, I used the 3RZ filter which is located beneath the intake manifold. 

For fuel return and vapor return, I used the stock lines that ran from the tank up into the engine compartment.  I ran some additional hard lines across the firewall to get them to the passenger side of the engine compartment. (You can source the hard lines from your donor vehicle, along with all the factory clips.) Then I connected the vapor line to the emissions box, and the fuel return line to it's connection below the intake manifold.

BTW, if you need a Chilkat downpipe https://www.chilkatdesigns.com/RZDowntube.html, I have one I didn't use on my engine swap.  PM if you want to buy at a discount.
Scott Wilson - TLCA #5261
1966 FJ40 [sold] - Click for Build thread
1988 3RZ 4Runner - Click for Build thread
1964 FJ40 TBD

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
Thanks Scott,  PM headed your way tomorrow.  Hitting the sack for now.  Have a good night.

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Ordered one of the VSS sensors https://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/parts-upgrade/misc-hardware/vehicle-speed-sensor-mci for my swap. Where (what vehicle) do I source the pigtail that fits the sensor?

Not sure.  Give Marlin's shop a call.

Not sure what you're putting your 3RZ into, but your vehicle may already have a VSS that will work.  For 1984 and newer trucks there is a VSS built into instrument cluster.
Scott Wilson - TLCA #5261
1966 FJ40 [sold] - Click for Build thread
1988 3RZ 4Runner - Click for Build thread
1964 FJ40 TBD

Trail-runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -39
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have a 2000 3rz going in an 88 4runner. I plan on keep the old fuse box and adding in the 3rz one. Only question I have is would you just run a heavy wire off of the ABS fuse over to the old fuse panel? It looks like I can use the original AM1 and AM2 fuses and just add a extra EFI relay for the O2 power wires. Have the alt. and starter wired in to the newer fuse box.

toy_tek

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 25
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Instagram: toy_tek
I created a spreadsheet where I compiled 3RZ swap info from a number of forums and tried to organize it (or at least I could sort it) based on what category of info I needed at that moment.  I've uploaded this to Google drive, and if it's helpful to someone, great.  If anyone wants to add info that they found helpful and others might as well, please feel free (but use the format I've started)

Basically what I did is:  pick a general category, list the item the info pertains to, copy and paste the pertinent info, and get the link for where the info came from (please get the URL for the actual post as opposed to the entire thread). 

I've never used Google drive for a group file, so if you have issues and/or I'm doing it wrong, shoot me a PM and i'll try to fix it. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SBeUlPhiSWV38KX1jkJBIKFk8o3bJs0MVzuZrzHdvQk/edit?usp=sharing
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner
89 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62
IG:  toy_tek

MikeBoyle

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • Pics of my pile
Not sure.  Give Marlin's shop a call.

Not sure what you're putting your 3RZ into, but your vehicle may already have a VSS that will work.  For 1984 and newer trucks there is a VSS built into instrument cluster.

This is in a 1st gen that has no factory dash or wiring. I found that the connector is universal among Toyotas. I ordered one from Michigan Motorsports on Amazon.

Jakey poo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 288
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Sep '17
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Currently working on a 3rz into an '83, I have a w56 that I will be swapping for the L52. I've heard of people flipping the stock crossmember around and using it, I've heard of people using the crossmember that comes with the w56 and bolting it in using the front bolts in the rear frame holes, and then using u bolts for the rear holes.  Which is the way I think I'll go to get everything lined up. Does anyone have any pictures of the way they mounted the w56 in a 1gen when doing a 3rz swap?

Thanks in advance
1983 Toyota PU 3rz swap in progress
1987 4Runner Restomod (Never done)

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I opted for a front range offroad mount.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Jakey poo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '17
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
So this?

https://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/t-case-crossmember/

That's an option, but I don't have a welder, and was trying to get it on the road to take it to my fabricator.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
When i did a w56 in my 79, i just drilled the frame to match
hold this. . .

Cmpns8n

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I used a Bud Built dual case skid plate and some u-bolts.  Gives quite a bit of flexibility to go fore and aft and even tilt the skid to one side if needed.  The PO had added a W56 and booger welded some nuts to the side of the frame... didnt seem safe to me...

Jakey poo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '17
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I used a Bud Built dual case skid plate and some u-bolts.  Gives quite a bit of flexibility to go fore and aft and even tilt the skid to one side if needed.  The PO had added a W56 and booger welded some nuts to the side of the frame... didnt seem safe to me...

I may go this direction after awhile. My wife is fighting breast cancer so money is tight right now. I think I'll use gnobs version to at least get everything bolted in and fit properly.

Robmt

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hello, great amount of info here. Thanks for all that have shared their knowledge and info. I've spent the past week reading through this thread  and others gathering info as I start the process.  I've noticed folks either use a modified rear sump 3rz pan or use the 3rz flange and weld on a 22re. The latter is appealing but I believe the 22re runs a quart less of oil than the 3rz. I don't mind fabbing a 3rz pan but the welding on the 22re would be a piece of cake. Another question is I see a lot of coil on plug JDM engines that have a rear sump pan on ebay. From all my reading I gathered that the rear sump pan only came on the T100's and I believe the T100's run ended in 1998 before the coil on plug motors came out? Thanks, Rob

Robmt

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I ordered some mounts today from toy only swaps and see they added a pan already set up for ifs trucks.  $375.  Seems reasonable.

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
Yea I bought the ifs pan from them.  Nice pan..  not using now though ..  need to get a regular if anyone wants this one.

Robmt

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Did it come with the hole for the sensor? The pic on their site shows the other side. Thanks.

s13koop

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I ordered some mounts today from toy only swaps and see they added a pan already set up for ifs trucks.  $375.  Seems reasonable.

Finally got back to finishing my swap.  Noticed Toyonlyswaps now offers an oil pan for IFS (as mentioned above), fits nicely.
Also using their motor mounts since the Chilkat ones didnt work out at all.

MikeBoyle

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • Pics of my pile
Having an issue with my 2RZ swap. Everything is in, wired and working (haven't finished exhaust yet so no O2's). Problem I'm having is there is no communication with the OBD connector. I wired it using the info 4RnrRick provided on page 2. I've double checked the harness is pinned out correctly and that the two different scan tools work fine in another vehicle. Anyone have an idea what my issue might be?

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
The obd pinouts vary by ecm.  Make sure yours jive.
hold this. . .