Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 916930 times)

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
If it's any comfort to those of us with higher mileage rz engines. a reman head with new cams, valves, and buckets is only $425 with the valves already properly shimmed.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Carolina82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 76
  • Member since Jul '12
  • The Welfare Cadilac
    • View Profile
What do you mean by skipping, jumping timing, or running rough, has motor been pulled apart

Running a little rough.  Then eventually it started running so bad I couldnt hardly keep it running.   I heard the engine run before I swapped it but only for a very short time since it didn't have any coolant in it.   I can't say for sure if it was skipping or not.  Honestly I wasn't paying attention to that, guess I should have. 
DD - 2013 GMC Sierra SLE Ext Cab 4x4 5.3

Beater/Crawler - 1982 Shortbed Pickup: 3RZ swapped, 4x4, Bobbed 8", 5.29's, IFS rear w/chromoly shafts and Grizzly Locker, Spartan front, 1.5" spacers front, 35x12.5 MT/R Kevlar, hi-steer, '79 grille & headlight swap, half doors.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26778
  • Male Posts: 3,523
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
I believe Toyota recommends valves to be done every 60k  :driving:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Carolina82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 76
  • Member since Jul '12
  • The Welfare Cadilac
    • View Profile
10-4     I guess what im trying to figure out is if the o2 sensors being in the wrong place/unhooked would cause it to burn a valve?   I feel sure it was like that already I just want to be sure so it doesn't happen again.

Also what brand headgasket do you recommend?   I'm thinking OEM but am open to suggestions. Also with 198k miles i'm considering replacing the injectors.     
DD - 2013 GMC Sierra SLE Ext Cab 4x4 5.3

Beater/Crawler - 1982 Shortbed Pickup: 3RZ swapped, 4x4, Bobbed 8", 5.29's, IFS rear w/chromoly shafts and Grizzly Locker, Spartan front, 1.5" spacers front, 35x12.5 MT/R Kevlar, hi-steer, '79 grille & headlight swap, half doors.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I believe Toyota recommends valves to be done every 60k  :driving:
I work at Toyota dealer never seen it done here on a 3rz or any puck/ shim motor unless head work is done.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 7319
  • Male Posts: 1,224
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
The 3rz in my truck came out of a wrecked Tacoma. I had the swap reffed in November 2011. Never done a thing to the motor. Runs like a top.
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88478.0
Where are we going? And why are we in a handbasket?

My friend is goin to moan this weekend - RockcrawlinJK

84RunnerCrawler

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I would really appreciate some help on my swap if you guys could as it has me stumped. I have swapped a 96 2RZ into a 84 4runner. Got the engine put in about a week ago but it hasn't been running correctly, found out the intake manifold gasket was missing on the engine and causing a huge vacuum leak. I put one in and I think I have since fixed all the vacuum leaks. The engine idles pretty good and smooth now but runs rough above idle and if you give it more than about 25% throttle its like its hitting a rev limiter. I have noticed if I unplug the maf and restart the engine it gains some power and throttle response but doesn't seem 100%, maybe 75%. I have tested the maf by blowing air through it and reading the voltage across the middle pin and outside pin. The voltage does increase as the air is blown through it.  I have also noticed that if I unplug the ecu and let it reset the truck runs very good but only for a little while before returning to the same symptoms. I have both o2 sensors hooked up but no cat. I have tested the tps and iat according to the fsm and they seemd to be good but I will check them again. I could just read the codes but I have tried two different obd2 readers and they have both given a connection error. They power up but don't ever connect to the ecu. I have found on a wiring diagram that the white obd2 data wire is shielded in stock form, mine is not, could this possibly be the problem? Is there anyway to tell if my ecu is bad? I plan to change the fuel filter tonight just to be sure.

Thanks, Joe

EDIT: It is now running rough without a check engine light and doesn't matter if I reset the ecu or unplug the maf anymore
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:18:13 PM by 84RunnerCrawler »

MUD000

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Jun '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Trail Track 4x4
When using the 2tr bell housing to run the r series gearbox are you using the 2tr slave cylinder on the bell housing or the 3rz one ?
Cheers Dan

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 331
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I would stick with matching the slave and clutch fork to the bell housing you're using... though I think I read somewhere that the slaves were interchangeable.
Scott Wilson - TLCA #5261
1966 FJ40 [sold] - Click for Build thread
1988 3RZ 4Runner - Click for Build thread
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I'm swapping a 2000 3RZ/W56B/dual cases into 1988 4Runner V6/auto.

Can someone clear up the VSS for me?  I read there is a VSS built into the instrument cluster... so I should be able to use my stock speedo cable and just use the VSS signal from the instrument cluster to give a signal to the 3RZ ECM, yes?

I'm confused because I've read some swaps where people are using a Tacoma VSS in their xfer case... and I see Marlin even offers a budget minded VSS.  In what situations would you use these?  If I put this VSS on my truck the 3RZ ECM would be happy, but wouldn't my speedometer not function since the mechanical speedo cable wouldn't be connected?  Or... on my 1988 setup is the mechanical speedo cable going into a VSS in the dash, and the speedometer works off the signal from that VSS?

Thanks for setting me straight.
1964 FJ40 TBD

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Should be cable going to back of cluster. Cluster has vss built-in. You can use that to feed the ecm.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I thought that's what I read. 

I'm curious if the stock speedo is mechanical or if it runs off that VSS. 

Since I'm putting in a dual case I'll need to get the $65 speedometer cable extension...   or can I just buy the $49 MC VSS that goes on the t-case... if the speedometer is electronic maybe it'll work with Marlin's VSS. 
1964 FJ40 TBD

Trucker4life

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 139
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
If it's any comfort to those of us with higher mileage rz engines. a reman head with new cams, valves, and buckets is only $425 with the valves already properly shimmed.

Where are you getting a reman head for $425 from?

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Carquest. My price was actually 398 going through work. But regular walk in customer price is $425
06 tacoma street truck

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I thought that's what I read. 

I'm curious if the stock speedo is mechanical or if it runs off that VSS. 

Since I'm putting in a dual case I'll need to get the $65 speedometer cable extension...   or can I just buy the $49 MC VSS that goes on the t-case... if the speedometer is electronic maybe it'll work with Marlin's VSS. 

Finally tore down my dash tonight and gave the speedo  a spin... its mechanical.  I'll get the speedo cable extension.

So I guess the VSS Marlin sells is for Taco owners who didn't originally have a gear driven xfer case and are swapping one in.
1964 FJ40 TBD

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
just got done with a 3rz swap in my 87 4runner, went with aftermarket harness, as I'm not a great electrician. went to fire, I have nothing at the key, no dash lights no heater fan, I have checked fuses, check volts at battery. have checked grounds. I do have headlights hi/low. blue dash lights comes on with hi beams. any input, advice or help would be appreciated

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Where are you located? Electrical is so hard to diagnose over the internet.  If you're anywhere near Morgan Hill CA I'm willing to come help
1964 FJ40 TBD

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Where are you located? Electrical is so hard to diagnose over the internet.  If you're anywhere near Morgan Hill CA I'm willing to come help

I'm near Placerville.

Fister13

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Im starting my swap and gongoing over what I have. Can anyone tell me where this connector  with cut wires go? It comes off the starter and alternator harness.

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Im starting my swap and gongoing over what I have. Can anyone tell me where this connector  with cut wires go? It comes off the starter and alternator harness.

An actual picture would be helpful in answering your question.

Fister13

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I was trying  to figure out how to resize it to ppst the picture

Fister13

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here's pic

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
pretty sure thats the alternator wiring

Fister13

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yea it comes up from the alternator  and starter and plugs into this connector that was cut. Is there a starter relay?

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
the starter relay is in the fuse box. do u have that? that wiring continues up into the dash harness iirc

Fister13

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Out of the fuse box from the donor  is a white pos  going to altnator. There's three wires from the alternator and the signal wire from the starter coming out of the same loom of wires to that connector where it was cut. Just trying to figure out where it goes. I took my 22re out yesterday  and got my 2rz all in. Just need help with the wiring part.

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
they go into the harness coming from the dash and power headlights etc. as far as I know.

84YotaBuck$$

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 149
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Will a 3RZ bolt up to a G52 transmission with the 3RZ bellhousing?  I sure hope so since I've been trying for 2 days now to get the thing to mate up.  Will go on except for the last 2ish inches, about ready to roll the truck out the driveway and put a "Free" sign on it.  Have all the 3RZ stuff, flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, bell housing off a Tacoma which I test fit prior to bolting up to the transmissioin, just doesn't want to go that last bit.  Checked the clutch disc alignment several times, don't know what else to do.   :snare:

84YotaBuck$$

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 149
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Nevermind, yes a G52 will bolt up to a 3RZ using the Tacoma bellhousing.  Ended up taking the transfer case off to make things a bit more manageable, took me all of 30 minutes this morning to get it mated and bolted up, now just waiting on the Margaskets I ordered this morning so I can put the transfer case back on!   :biggthumpup:

onemanarmy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 87
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
So somehow my power steering pulley came loose and stripped the splines.  So now the pump AND the pulley are no good. 

I see that pumps are a dime a dozen (new and reman) but don't come with a pulley.  And new Toyota pulleys are expensive.

So I'm trying to track down an used OEM......I have a 2000 3RZ in my 85 4runner.    Are all the 3rz pumps the same....throughout the years and models (tacoma, 4 runner, anything else)?  I need to know what year ranges to narrow my search down to if they are not. 

Thanks