Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 916882 times)

Wiener01

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Saw bevin's mounts not sure how they bolt together.gonna make it happen though.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Get Er Done!!!  :usa:
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

stubbysr5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Not a tough task at all. I used Bevins mount pictures for length of plate to add to accomplish offset. Also the weld below the circle and location of the plate edge can be used to determine where your cut needs to be to remove some of the length. I used a 12" sliding square to obtain the same angle as the bottom of the bracket. The bolts that mount to the block can be used for approximate location of where your mount center bolt needs to be. Also you have another reference from the back of the alternator. Use your power steering reservoir top for level. Remember with it level you should have ten degree lean of your rocker arm cover toward the passenger side of vehicle.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2014, 05:56:41 PM by stubbysr5 »

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
That's what I'm talking about!
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

UtahGuy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Hooligan
    • View Profile
Anybody run a Megasquirt on one of these yet?  Hoping to compare notes and see what worked for you and where you ran into snags.  I'll be running an MS1 on a 96 with distributor.
1985 4Runner SR5 ~ 1999 4Runner Highlander ~ 2001 F150 SCrew

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Anybody run a Megasquirt on one of these yet?  Hoping to compare notes and see what worked for you and where you ran into snags.  I'll be running an MS1 on a 96 with distributor.
I will also be using Megasquirt.. I'll keep you updated  :usa:

Wiener01

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Just heard from Alex at Chilkat he apologized for no response he said he was away and would ship my mounts ASAP. Hope thats soon

MUD000

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Jun '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Trail Track 4x4
My mate has just completed a turbo 3rz conversion & the oil filter hit the front track mount is this a common problem & do you install a remote mount oil filter ?
Cheers Dan

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Never heard of that one. I didn't have any issues.

MUD000

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Jun '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Trail Track 4x4
Haven't heard anyone complain about it before but was with this one had to puta remote mount oil filter in

stubbysr5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Set my motor down on the mounts tonight. May have to shim the passenger side. After everything was tightened up I had a bit too much angle to the P side. I have several extra mount pieces and I may  use the end of the bracket seeings as how the hole for the bolt and index pin is already there. The Tacoma donor had a pacesetter header on it and I'll use it if it fits in OK. Cost effective solution. The collector has 2 heated O2 senders but there is no cat I'm the system.  I think I may put one in. At least that way the ecm had dome legitimate input
 I put the w59 bell ony g series however I  have to do something, for a speed sensor. The grickin exhaust is she thickwall stuff when you tap it with a wrench of sounds like school playground swing set. Not the most OK night everybody convenient stuff to work with. I'm
  Posting to a thread with a smart phone is a pain in the.... yeah. Now I can finish my cab. It is amazing how similar the taco platform is to the 2nd gen pickups.

UtahGuy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Hooligan
    • View Profile
Haven't heard anyone complain about it before but was with this one had to puta remote mount oil filter in

I didn't have this problem either.  Do you have any pics?

UtahGuy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Hooligan
    • View Profile
The grickin exhaust is she thickwall stuff

Quoted for truth.

:laugh:

Wiener01

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Got my Chilkat design motor mount brackets-wow very nice product. Got my factory header to replace my cracked factory manifold.Oil pan,pick up and dip stick already done. Gonna start pulling my sad diesel sounding 22re this weekend.Will take some pics and post not like you guys have seen enough 3rz's in 2nd gen trucks.

FGZ

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Swaped that ECU out, still ran like garbage.  I am going to pass this on to somebody else to figure out and go carb...

So I have a Tacoma column and cluster made to fit in a a 1st gen 4runner/2nd gen pickup dash.  All plugs to heater and tails etc hook right up to the older plugs.  Doner harness is relatively unbutchered.  I made a header for it, Amsoil filter on the intake, balance shaft delete, mild port & polish, gasket match rebuilt about 50-60K ago. Overfuels itself so somebody will have to sort it out. 

I will be pulling it soon so if anybody is interested hit me up!

I was getting so excited that my several-weeks-long read through of this thread was going to culminate in such a cliffhanger solved mystery only to find you had to cut your losses and revert to carb. Sad, better luck next time.

UtahGuy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Hooligan
    • View Profile
I mentioned we decided to go with a Megasquirt - got it into a friends' shop and got started on that today.  Took out the stock harness, cleaned everything unnecessary off the motor, hacked up the old burnt harness for connectors to build the new one, and got to soldering.  I know a lot of you fellows are in California, so I should mention that as far as I know there's no way this would fly there.  None of the emissions equipment will be functional, aside from the cat which I'm keeping until it pisses me off.  I'll be bending a couple rules keeping this thing on the street here, and I'm quite sure that a California emissions nazi referee would take one look and laugh you out of his garage.

Set up for an afternoon of wiring.

My new wireless harness.  How cool would it be to stick bluetooth transmitters on all the sensors?  I wonder how long they'd last until the heat and vibration killed them.

When you are discombobulating a harness, strict and accurate labeling of the plugs is essential.

Scavenged plugs.

Used to be a harness...

The new harness will be about 26 wires, plus or minus.  This is all of them in this pic, though we're going to make the connections on the Megasquirt and be sure that everything is happy before we tidy everything up.  This is going to be a much cleaner engine bay, I'm stoked for that if nothing else.

The aftermath of a wiring party...

Next up we make the connections on the Megasquirt pigtail and start programming the computer.  I should have some actual tech to contribute at that point.  :thumbs:

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I was getting so excited that my several-weeks-long read through of this thread was going to culminate in such a cliffhanger solved mystery only to find you had to cut your losses and revert to carb. Sad, better luck next time.

Well a forum member with more access to good scan equipment and parts bought my whole setup so hopefully we will get to see whatever is causing the problem. I'm sure it will be something dumb and nearly insignificant. The 3RZ is a great engine.  When I had it running right it got up to 26 mpg, pulled hills and trailors with ease and could bark second gear on dry pavement with 35s. I just don't have the time or resources to fool with mystery glitches.  We have like NO parts trucks around here either which makes trying things out costly.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

stubbysr5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Set my motor down on the mounts tonight. May have to shim the passenger side. After everything was tightened up I had a bit too much angle to the P side. I have several extra mount pieces and I may  use the end of the bracket seeings as how the hole for the bolt and index pin is already there. The Tacoma donor had a pacesetter header on it and I'll use it if it fits in OK. Cost effective solution. The collector has 2 heated O2 senders but there is no cat I'm the system.  I think I may put one in. At least that way the ecm had dome legitimate input
 I put the w59 bell ony g series however I  have to do something, for a speed sensor. The grickin exhaust is she thickwall stuff when you tap it with a wrench of sounds like school playground swing set. Not the most OK night everybody convenient stuff to work with. I'm
  Posting to a thread with a smart phone is a pain in the.... yeah. Now I can finish my cab. It is amazing how similar the taco platform is to the 2nd gen pickups.
fired it up Sunday pm. Just what the doctor ordered. People are right it is a rev happy motor. Now for exhaust and heat management. I will rework my clutch line so it will easy bleed. Loud wi. Uncapped header.

Wiener01

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well mine is in, borrowed a buddies tow truck and pulled the 22re out in an hour and a half. Swapped the bell housing and planted the 3rz in its new home. Now I need to start working on the details,got a list a page long. One question that I did not see covered it looks like I might have clearance issues at the front lift hook and ps resivour cap. Any one else?

UtahGuy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Hooligan
    • View Profile
Well mine is in, borrowed a buddies tow truck and pulled the 22re out in an hour and a half. Swapped the bell housing and planted the 3rz in its new home. Now I need to start working on the details,got a list a page long. One question that I did not see covered it looks like I might have clearance issues at the front lift hook and ps resivour cap. Any one else?

It's tight but should clear.  What are you using for mounts?

Wiener01

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Using a set of Chilkat brackets and factory taco mounts

Wiener01

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
So my 3rz is in, radiator,hoses,all the easy stuff done. Now I need to do the exhaust and wiring. I don't think I am going to have a problem with either but. I am installing a 96 3rz into a 85 22re 4runner, any one got a diagram i can copy and use or a link. have to connect 1 ecm connector,1 obd connector,2 taco connectors and 2 old runner connectors. I will roll up my sleeves and map it out my self but if some one already did the work I'm willing to cheat. Thanks

n6dlh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
Labor day weekend the swap is on. Custom oil pan is done and waiting on some additional parts.

To clear the ifs, the factory front sump pan was cut at the flange and turned 180 degrees, then a large portion was cut out and sheet metal added to clear the pickup. Using the t100 pickup and dipstick. Total capacity is 6 qts to the top of the cross hatching. Final test will be when it drops in, i think i will have plenty of room, but if not i will have to find a way to work around it.

All in all i have a ton of hours in cleanup, and probobly 20 hours of time into the oil pan. Will be building the entire exhaust 2.25", with magna flow muffler and cat. New aisin clutch kit, slave, and 02 sensors. Intake was made from 3" exhaust tube. The 90 degree bend is not the best for air flow but will work until i get the turbo for the engine.

« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2014, 10:12:14 PM by n6dlh »
1989 4Runner 3rz Swap

Wiener01

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well its official I have a 3rz powered 4runner.  What nice engine,  now my truck has plenty of power. Well worth all the time and work.

UtahGuy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Hooligan
    • View Profile
Labor day weekend the swap is on. Custom oil pan is done and waiting on some additional parts.

To clear the ifs, the factory front sump pan was cut at the flange and turned 180 degrees, then a large portion was cut out and sheet metal added to clear the pickup. Using the t100 pickup and dipstick. Total capacity is 6 qts to the top of the cross hatching. Final test will be when it drops in, i think i will have plenty of room, but if not i will have to find a way to work around it.

All in all i have a ton of hours in cleanup, and probobly 20 hours of time into the oil pan. Will be building the entire exhaust 2.25", with magna flow muffler and cat. New aisin clutch kit, slave, and 02 sensors. Intake was made from 3" exhaust tube. The 90 degree bend is not the best for air flow but will work until i get the turbo for the engine.

What paint is that on your intake and valve cover?  I like that.

n6dlh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
What paint is that on your intake and valve cover?  I like that.

VHT wrinkle finish paint. Looks really good, but has a learning curve to get it to wrinkle correctly.

1989 4Runner 3rz Swap

n6dlh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
After a long day I made some progress. Ran into some clearance issues I was not expecting, and did not run into much where I was expecting them. The oil pan fit like a glove, with only millimeters to spare, I really lucked out on the pan. The pan did hit the steering stabilizer, so I will have to build a bracket to drop it an inch. One unexpected problem was my Budbuilt cross member, I have the 2" drivetrain lift cross member. Since the 3rz is canted, it rotated my transfer case, and it was hitting the cross member, so I had to build some spacers, and get some bolts. So I will be rolling around without my skid plate until I get the right type of bolts. I was also going to use my AC compressor and change the clutch, well mine is too long and hits the motor mount, so I will have to get a new compressor for it.

Still have a lot to do, but the drive train is buttoned up, going to do some more hoses, clutch lines, down pipe, and wiring. Hope to fire it up for a short time tomorrow, then move on to fabricating the exhaust.

1989 4Runner 3rz Swap

m44offroad

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 94
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • 1987 4Runner build
After a long day I made some progress. Ran into some clearance issues I was not expecting, and did not run into much where I was expecting them. The oil pan fit like a glove, with only millimeters to spare, I really lucked out on the pan. The pan did hit the steering stabilizer, so I will have to build a bracket to drop it an inch. One unexpected problem was my Budbuilt cross member, I have the 2" drivetrain lift cross member. Since the 3rz is canted, it rotated my transfer case, and it was hitting the cross member, so I had to build some spacers, and get some bolts. So I will be rolling around without my skid plate until I get the right type of bolts. I was also going to use my AC compressor and change the clutch, well mine is too long and hits the motor mount, so I will have to get a new compressor for it.

Still have a lot to do, but the drive train is buttoned up, going to do some more hoses, clutch lines, down pipe, and wiring. Hope to fire it up for a short time tomorrow, then move on to fabricating the exhaust.

I'm curious what mounts your running? The canted motor sounds a little too farmiliar also what angle is the power steering cap at in relation to the frame?

m44offroad

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 94
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • 1987 4Runner build
N6DLH, I did this swap about 2 1/2 years ago and in a bit of a rush failed to pay attention to some of the finer details, the canted engine (almost 4 degrees rotated to the pass side measured on the power steering cap, 1 degree to the pass side is level at the transfer case mount) never really seemed like a big issue until the factory transmission mount failed and the transfer case began hitting the cross member, after the factory mount failed about 4 months ago I replaced the engine and transfer case mounts with t**** g*** mounts and installed a bud built single case cross member and on installation found a good 2 inch difference as I was jacking the cross member back up under the truck, at this point I realized what was wrong have spent the little time I have away from work trying to correct this and other issues, seeing your post about the canted engine and rotated transfer case I have to wonder if the problem is the same.

n6dlh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
I'm curious what mounts your running? The canted motor sounds a little too farmiliar also what angle is the power steering cap at in relation to the frame?

The cap is level, im running the chilkat mount brackets. Im going to look at it a littlemore this morning.
1989 4Runner 3rz Swap