Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 911352 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I swaped out a buddy's coil packs on my lunch break and there was no difference so I can rule out coil packs.

So here is what we know is not causing my overfuel/no power problem:

Relaced fuel pump.
Fuel pump getting good 12V and ground.
Replaced fuel pressure regulator.
Replaced MAF.
Replaced TPS.
Swaped out coils.
Checked 12V, ground and refference voltage to TPS, MAF and coils.
Unhooked O2 sensors to see if there was a difference in closed loop, no difference.
Cat is not plugged up.
Crank posision sensor tested good.

Either this weekend or Monday night I will probably pull the timing cover off to see if this thing has somehow jumped time...  It feels just like my buddy's 22re that jumped time a few years back.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:23:16 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Have you checoed the injectors yet? Put a noid light on em. Maybe better yet. Pull em out n have em rebuilt or at least checked..  maybe one of them has failed and is dumping fuel?   Maybe even the ecm or ecu...
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I can try my buddy's ECU as well but I won't have the time until I can get his truck for a longer period of time.  I haven't checked injectors specifically but from the look of the plugs the overfueling is even in all cylinders so I can probably rule out a stuck injector too.

One of my biggest problems with sorting this stuff out is a complete lack of money. Makes troubleshooting I would normally have no problem dropping a few hundred dollars on impossible.

I guess I'm down to jumped time, bad ECU or put a 22r and 5.29s back in it.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
You go through a river crossing? May be the ecu got wet.. mmmmaaayyybe... i have had issues eith an injector not firing and it turned out to be ecu... just something else to try and eliminate.
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

n6dlh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
You go through a river crossing? May be the ecu got wet.. mmmmaaayyybe... i have had issues eith an injector not firing and it turned out to be ecu... just something else to try and eliminate.

That can happen, I replace about 1 PCM a week on average. Usually we are inheriting cars from other shops after they spend weeks trying to figure it out. The PCM drivers that fire the ignition coils and the injectors can fail, usually it is more to do with a short in the coil windings causing excessive current through the transistor, or WATER entering the PCM. In this case I do not think this is it. I think this will have something to do with the 02's not reading correctly, or possibly the ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor. Very difficult to try and diagnose over the internet. There are other possibilities but this is the first place I think he needs to look.

Based on the fact that the PCM thinks it is running lean based on the fuel trims. The ECT failing can cause the PCM to default to -40f, it dumps a bunch of fuel in to compensate. But normally this would have a lack of oxygen in the exhaust, and the PCM would try to compensate by trending the fuel trims into the negatives to pull fuel. The thing to remember is the 02 sensor only measures 02, not fuel. So any time a combustion event does not take place, it is pumping oxygen past the 02 sensor, making the computer think a lean condition is happening. Since it runs smooth, I think we can rule out a misfire. It is something that is common to all cylinders. So a Sensor, Induction, Exhaust, Mechanical Timing, Fuel Pressure. The generic OBDII data stream is not packed full of information, but what is there is helpful to try and determine where the root cause may be. Even with a new fuel pump, if the pressure regulator is bleeding off the pressure, or there is a blockage somewhere, then it will run lean.

Anyways If he can borrow a scan tool, and set up a time, I would be willing to try and walk him through trying to diagnose it. As far as checking timing, the easiest thing to do is to pull the valve cover, set the crank pulley notch to TDC, and check the marks.
1989 4Runner 3rz Swap

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
What he said. Haha

n6dlh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
So I have been cleaning up the 3RZ, man this thing was dirty and rusty on the outside, but the inside of this engine is perfect! I have pulled a ton of engines apart over the years, and I have pulled engines apart at less than 10K miles that have more wear on them.

So I have cleaned it up and started using a rust preventative on the block. One thing about the east is the dang rust. Pulled the exhaust cam to measure the shims since some of the valves were on the tight side of specs, need to get the shims. Oil pan has been cut and flipped around, I think the pan is going to work fine this way, I need to get the rear pickup, and possibly clearance the pan for the pickup tube. I also need to add some material to the front of it. The dip stick hole in the timing cover is an easy fix, a little RTV and a Dorman 555-006 freeze plug and it is done.

The wiring harness has been mapped out, and is ready for splicing. I have a 22 pin ECU plug and pins coming to be able to wire into the truck and hook to the ECU plug E5.

Here it is when I just got it unloaded at work and on the stand.

Good ole North East Rust
1989 4Runner 3rz Swap

JFW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 77
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Salisbury steak isn't steak....
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
So for all of you guys doing this swap now, what is the added cost look like for ensuring the motor you find is good? I'm no engine guy, so I have no idea how to crack open a motor and make sure it's good to go. The motors BigMike and others were getting back when these swaps started were practically brand new, but now most of these motors have over 100K miles on them. I'm just trying to see what my overall cost of doing this swap would be as compared to just rebuilding my 22RE. I reeeeally don't want to buy an engine for a swap just to find out that IT needs to be completely rebuilt. lol my money tree has yet to bloom.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Tore the engine apart last night and none of the timing marks/links on the timing chain lined up with any of the other timing marks. Kind of looks like the timing gear on the crank slipped like 1 or 2 teeth.  :smack:

Not really sure how the heck this happens, but I've seen it on a few 22re before. Never had a personal experience with it on my own stuff before. This would explain why it ran great for 8,000 miles or whatever it was and then instanly started running poorly.  I guess the ECU was doing all that wild stuff trying to cope with the horribly messed up cam timing.

I might get a fresh crank timing gear because I'm paraniod about it. It doesn't look visably worn but something has to cause this to happen. Hopefully it runs awesome and feels like a 3RZ again when I put it back together...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:31:50 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Tore the engine apart last night and none of the timing marks/links on the timing chain lined up with any of the other timing marks. Kind of looks like the timing gear on the crank slipped like 1 or 2 teeth.  :smack:

Not really sure how the heck this happens, but I've seen it on a few 22re before. Never had a personal experience with it on my own stuff before. This would explain why it ran great for 8,000 miles or whatever it was and then instanly started running poorly.  I guess the ECU was doing all that wild stuff trying to cope with the horribly messed up cam timing.

I might get a fresh crank timing gear because I'm paraniod about it. It doesn't look visably worn but something has to cause this to happen. Hopefully it runs awesome and feels like a 3RZ again when I put it back together...

Awesome! I mean thats not fun, but you got it figured out any way!! Congrats. That must feel good. Id replace that gear..

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Just ordered the gear it will be here Thursday morning.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Fired it up last night with the timing chain lined up and it's different but stumbles out at an even lower RPM now.  I have an oportunity to swap out an ECU to try that but if that doesn't make it run right I am going to have this stuff fro sale cheap and somebody else can figure it out. I just need enough money out of it to get a 22r going and get ahold of a few bits for that. So if anyone is in the market in the NW hit me up.

I do not have the time and resources to mess with this setup any more.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Swaped that ECU out, still ran like garbage.  I am going to pass this on to somebody else to figure out and go carb...

So I have a Tacoma column and cluster made to fit in a a 1st gen 4runner/2nd gen pickup dash.  All plugs to heater and tails etc hook right up to the older plugs.  Doner harness is relatively unbutchered.  I made a header for it, Amsoil filter on the intake, balance shaft delete, mild port & polish, gasket match rebuilt about 50-60K ago. Overfuels itself so somebody will have to sort it out. 

I will be pulling it soon so if anybody is interested hit me up!
– Steve McQueen

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Swaped that ECU out, still ran like garbage.  I am going to pass this on to somebody else to figure out and go carb...

what year is that gauge cluster pulled from?

So I have a Tacoma column and cluster made to fit in a a 1st gen 4runner/2nd gen pickup dash.  All plugs to heater and tails etc hook right up to the older plugs.  Doner harness is relatively unbutchered.  I made a header for it, Amsoil filter on the intake, balance shaft delete, mild port & polish, gasket match rebuilt about 50-60K ago. Overfuels itself so somebody will have to sort it out. 

I will be pulling it soon so if anybody is interested hit me up!

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
The guage cluster is from the doner vehicle which was a '98 4Runner.
– Steve McQueen

Wiener01

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hey guys I am new to marlincrawler but an old school tech with several swaps under my belt. I have an 85 toyota 4runner with long leafs, toyota lockers, dual case, and much more. I bought it from a friend who built it 10+ years ago. Now the question, I am doing the 3rz swap (got a great deal) and I ordered a set of Chilkat motor mount brackets. They were faster than fast to take money from my account but nothing else. Was hoping for an e mail to at least acknowledge my purchase and maybe an eta. Any one else have experience with them.  Thanks

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Yeah. He's a cool guy. I used Chilkat mounts on my 3rz swap. No issues. Great customer service.

Capt. Crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
I'm still waiting for a confirmation on my p/s bracket I was charged for two weeks ago?
 I have called twice and sent 1 email?
I have since found that the trail gear t/c pumps  are junk?

Wiener01

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Im confused would good customer service at least be an e mail confirmation. Maybe I am spoiled but I would surly rather have the part than place a stop payment.

old runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Apr '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I ordered Chilkat's mounts for my upcoming 3rz swap and got them with no issues. I ordered them through his website and did not get a confirmation back either, but they made it to the east coast in about a week. He seemed pretty cool when I talked to him on the phone a few months before I ordered.

Wiener01

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Ordered oil rear sump oil pan stuff, clutch kit, and motor mount brackets all the same day.got all my stuff except Chilkat mounts. I will wait patiently if you guys say he is ok thats enough for me. Just chomping at the bit to be running my 3rz.

Wiener01

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Old runner I am EC too where you from.  Im in northern nj

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
He's probably making up a new batch or something...

old runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Apr '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
For those of you who have done the swap, has anyone ran the tacoma compressor and condenser while using the stock evaporator? How about just the tacoma compressor with the rest of the stock ac parts?

Weiner01, I'm in southeast VA.

Wiener01

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I am planning on running 3rz compressor with my stock ac system. its an orifice style system and i don't think there would be any issues.

stubbysr5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I've started on a 3rz swap. Ordered chilkat mounts and t100 oil pan kit June 10. Was informed via email that they are moving. No mounts or oil pan kit in stock. Now its close to a month and can't get a response. Phone goes strait to voice mail. Tried to message on their website and Facebook with no response. Have my fuel tank fuel lines evap box battery box and wiring harness done. Looks to me like they have nice product but getting them is problematic. Low range of road and Lc engineering both handle chilkat mounts and they have none in stock either. Wes at L C Engineering has tried to contact Alex at Chilkat with no success.. If anybody has a set of Chilkats to sell I will buy them.. my 84 has been sectioned 14 inchesMC geared in the llow range 5:29ed Yukon Griz locked front an rear with 36 TSL SX. The 3rz will be the perfect swap. Aggravating wait in for parts. Hella thread lots of info.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Hmm well.... you can always bolt up the 22r and 3rz mounts together to make working mounts. I believe Bevins build thread covers that. The oil pan is Toyota OEM. ... give your local toyota dealer a call and see how much they want for a pan/pickup and that plug for the oil pan as well...

Wiener01

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I too am still waiting for my motor mounts ordered a month ago. No answer on phone no return emails but he took my money. I ordered my oil pan stuff from toyota parts for less.com and saved $35 .
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2014, 02:37:23 PM by Wiener01 »

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I too am still waiting for my motor mounts ordered a month ago. No answer on phone no return emails but he took my money. I ordered my oil pan stuff from toyota parts for less.com ans saved $35 .

There ya go. Now just bolt your 22r and 3rz mounts together and call it a day. Save even more money and GET ER DONE. charge back if ya have to...

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Cant wait for this turbo to spool for the first time ;)