Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 917124 times)

TunedPortTOY

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
Alright I'm swaping a 96' 3RZ manual trans in to 85' DLX pickup.  Trying to get some insight on what is going on with the wiring.  Engine runs fine in neutral, soon as I attempt to accelerate or move at all the the engine dies... I can still hear fuel pump for a second or two after it dies....VSS connected, no 4wd ECU,  is there antitheft I'm dealing with?

TunedPortTOY

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
Note to all doing 3RZ swap...must hook up small ground off negative terminal! -issue corrected truck hauls azz now-

THE ROCK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 219
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
so were can a guy buy the harness and necessary stuff? can a turn key project be done for around 3K? I own a 1st gen truck like marlins

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
From what I have researched and discovered for my '84 22R, there is no turn key for the do-it-yourselfer...

If you're in the Northwest,  Toyonlyswaps will do it for you.  Or you can ship it. 

I'm sure it can be done for 3k, but it depends on purchase price of engine/harness/accessories, etc.  plus what you may need to do to the engine(rebuild, overhaul, nothing). I purchased my 3RZ for $1500, complete.  Plus the LCE performance master rebuild kit, even though my engine didn't need it at all(crosshatch hone was still visible in cylinders, 140K miles).   Plus machine work, and head job.  Plus Marlin clutch.  Plus Chilkat mounts.  Plus Walbro fuel pump.  Plus plugs, wires, fuel lines, etc...  I am well over 3k, and my engine is still on the stand....

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Big Mike, why can't i view all the pic's in you post of your engine swap?

md_530

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 106
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
what yr 3rz do u have?
ive got a complete motor harness for 97 with a 5 spd ecu for sale

Do you still have your harness and brain and seeing that it is a coil pack ignition would this work in my 99 ?
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Big Mike, why can't i view all the pic's in you post of your engine swap?
Ancient attachments are for some reason messed up on the forum at the moment. I have not looked into the issue because I had already planned on upgrading the forum to a new version by now (but haven't done so yet). My fingers are :crossed: that the new version will repair the issues automagically.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Ancient attachments are for some reason messed up on the forum at the moment. I have not looked into the issue because I had already planned on upgrading the forum to a new version by now (but haven't done so yet). My fingers are :crossed: that the new version will repair the issues automagically.

That would be sweet

BigMike

TunedPortTOY

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
Did the T100 2RZ/3RZ manual trans use bellhousing stiffeners like the tacoma?  If so I need a good part number for a drivers side bellhousing stiffener.  The Tacoma style does not fit with a T100 oil pan on drivers side  :sad2: Answer after some more searching is that there were no stiffeners offered on the T100 3RZ, solution: my bell stiffeners were of a 2RZ automatic tacoma, passenger side bolts up, drivers side needs some minor clearancing to clear T100 oil pan, and lower bolt hole for the bellhousing needs to be reversed in direction due to no clearance.  Preheat and weld up lower hole and drill and tap to matching other hardware M10x 1.25?, that matching hole in the bellhousing will have to be drilled out to pass thru and thread into your new modified bell stiffener, I would post pics but I'm just a newby...lol
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2012, 08:43:07 AM by TunedPortTOY »

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
I'm getting 3rz out of. A 974runnner does it have a dizzy?

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm getting 3rz out of. A 974runnner does it have a dizzy?

I'm 95% sure it does.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Sweet!! That easyer to wire?

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
That's what I hear, although mine has the 4 coils...

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Does the 97 have coils?

smacaulay

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
My 97 4runner donor had twin coils.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
That's what I hear, although mine has the 4 coils...

I guess I should clarify....My donor motor was out of a 2004 prerunner.

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Well, I got mine running today.  Runs very well actually.  I haven't driven it yet, since I have to finish my right side knuckle and brake upgrade.  And clean up my wiring....

NoChromeOffRoad

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
Well, I got mine running today.  Runs very well actually.  I haven't driven it yet, since I have to finish my right side knuckle and brake upgrade.  And clean up my wiring....
Congrats on the start up.  Just wondering...Did you put a new head on that motor during your rebuild?  I'm about to install a re-maned one on my '99 and CHILTON calls for a certain kind of sealant where the timing chain cover and block come together, underneath the head gasket.  No one local has any idea of what I'm talking about.  I'm wondering what kind of sealant this is, where I can get it, and why I need it at all? Can I use an RTV sealant instead? This little dilema is holding up my whole project and I'm getting really frustrated.... 
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2012, 05:49:24 PM by NoChromeOffRoad »

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Stock head, but rebuilt with LCE Peformance master kit. Every thing looked brand new even though it had 140k miles on the engine...

We used Ultra Black silicone.  Ultra grey works well also.  Regular silicone doesn't do very well with sealing oil over time.  But the Ultras are impervious to oil.  You can get it at any auto parts store.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2012, 07:05:26 PM by 3toys »

NoChromeOffRoad

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
Cool.  Hopefully now I can get mine up and running by tomorrow.  Get the beast back on the road.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Cool.  Hopefully now I can get mine up and running by tomorrow.  Get the beast back on the road.

Nooooooooo!  Use FIPG from Toyota.  They will sell it to you over the counter.  It stands for "formed in plastic gasket" and is why toyotas from the factory go so long before any oil leaks.  It's the best sealant I've ever used hands down.

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
I was told it stood for "Form In Place Gasket". And it is an Ultra as well...  So what's the difference?  I would like to know...

NoChromeOffRoad

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
I used Form In Place Gasket on the oil pan, but went with the Ultra black on head (It was a very small area). Guess we will see what stands up longer...
On another note, I'm having a hell of a time finding those plastic seats that sit in the head just above the intake and hold the injectors in place.  Cant even figure out how to get the ones out of the old head.  Anyone know what I'm talking about? Anyone have any ideas? 

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Mine remained in the head at the machine shop. Through the  hot tanking and all machine work, they held up great.  I tried removing them during disassembly with no luck.  I am stumped also...

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1302
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
I'm in the middle of my swap and I can get the engine to crank, fuel is circulating but I cant get it to fire...  No spark yet.. Does anyone have diagrams for 87 4runner ECM plugs? I have all the 3RZ plug info... just not clear on the Runner side.. I have the wiring diagrams from ttora but they aren't super clear when it comes to the plugs... thanks!!

NoChromeOffRoad

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
FYI...Got those little buggers out of there!  They seat in the injector hole  with a little rubber O-ring.  They were so dried out and full of crud that they wouldn't even move.  Soaked 'em with half a can of WD40 and they slid right out.  The plastic got a little banged up, but it just matches the rest of the truck. :thumbs:

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Mine has some weird gas saver things on the fuel line right before the fuel filter anybody else have these?

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Mine has some weird gas saver things on the fuel line right before the fuel filter anybody else have these?

Do you have any pics?  I don't know what you are referring to.  A gas saver prior to filter could only restrict fuel, possibly causing lean conditions, right?

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
ill take picture next time i go to my engine but ya thats what i thought its weird

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1302
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
Does anyone have the pic for soldering the 10ohm resistor on tach to make it work???