Author Topic: power steering cooler  (Read 1857 times)

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
power steering cooler
« on: Dec 29, 2005, 07:29:48 PM »
I am putting a large auto trans 3-core radiator in my '85 this weekend and am curious if anyone has used the trans cooler part of one as a cooler for the power steering?  I'm wondering if the radiator could take the pressure of this p/s pump.  :headscratch:

I have a manual trans and a 3rz conversion (in process) and would like to clean the engine compartment up a bit, and maybe ease up the effort on my steering wheel.  :driving:
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: power steering cooler
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2005, 10:41:52 PM »
I would be more likely to buy a cheapie little auto trans cooler and mount it behind the grill, but that's just me.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2005, 10:49:13 PM »
Hey BUDDERS, check in my project, page 8, reply #309, I used a $23 Auto trans cooler from Summit for my P/S, and its been working out just great-

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BUDDERS [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2005, 11:29:03 PM »
I checked out those pics Mike.  I guess I forgot to mention that I already have a cheapy cooler from pep boys, but it requires some fabrication of brackets - and I don't have much in the way of fab equipment.  So, I was thinking of taking that back and just using the radiator instead.  Also, do you notice any difference in the steering effort between your truck and say Marlin's?

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:11:22 AM »
I checked out those pics Mike. I guess I forgot to mention that I already have a cheapy cooler from pep boys, but it requires some fabrication of brackets - and I don't have much in the way of fab equipment. So, I was thinking of taking that back and just using the radiator instead. Also, do you notice any difference in the steering effort between your truck and say Marlin's?
I ran a similar set up to Big Mike's on my old Samurai (with Toyota power steering). The trans cooler I used came came with some cheepie mounts and some sort of zip ties that worked well.  :twocents:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:58:10 AM »
hmmmmmm Its very hard to compare my truck with Marlins, especially Marlins, since he has a Hybrid Toyota/D60 front end. Its wider and really different..

My steering works pretty well, I am using a 14" steering wheel also, but sometimes it seems to pulseate while I am going around freeway overpasses with a long continuous corner. I wonder if it is some air pockets somewhere, but my steering fluid level is above normal right now, and slightly leaking out the cap. One thing though, is that I have remounted my cooler since that picture, and I believe the cooler might actually be higher than the pump :ack: !! I need to check that out when I get back home. I have been thinking about that recently........ :nerv:

Also, I have touched the inlet and outlet of the cooler while wheeling, and I cant seem to feel a difference. But, I also dont have a fan shroud, so I dont think much air is being pulled through the cooler, so it is more or less just something for the heat to soak into instead of instantly overheating the fluid.

Yup, once I get en electric fan back in there, I will move the cooler lower and into the air flow.

Ohh the things to do.......
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BUDDERS [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2005, 06:58:31 PM »
Ok guys.... I did a little reseach today at the shop and found out my 3rz p/s pump can put out 1200psi of fluid.  When compared to around 200psi for trans fluid, I think I will just rig up my cheepo cooler.  I'ts not worth risking bursting a seam in the radiator to contaminate the coolant.

Mike, which electric fan are you going to run?  I have the Black magic setup on my little '87 lowrider and boy does it suck the air.  It's really noisey when it kicks on, but still kind of hard to hear over a mild race engine with a header and all the other squeaks and rattles.  I think for now, I'll stick with the stock 3rz fan for my '85.  After all, I was given a brand new fan clutch for it.