Author Topic: crossmember/skidplate  (Read 3305 times)

knowwake

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
crossmember/skidplate
« on: Dec 18, 2005, 06:53:26 PM »
Ive Been looking for a new skidplate/crosmember and was wondering which one you guys suggest? ive narrowed it down to 3 choices:
1) Sky Manufacturing
2) Marlin Crawler
3) Front Range Off Road

Thanks for the help
-Jordan

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
Re: crossmember/skidplate
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2005, 07:07:02 PM »
I have Marlin's and I like it. It is HEAVY DUTY, and works great with the dual cases. :twocents:
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2005, 07:08:57 PM »
what about Budbuilt or the new triple-x member?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2005, 07:24:20 PM »
what about Budbuilt or the new triple-x member?
I like the design of the Bud Built and how you can space up the transfercase. I almost went that route... but was rather concerned about the front pinion angle and driveshaft.  But if you have and 84 or later truck I think that the budbuilt would be an excellent choice. :driving:
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.

yotabj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • MAD FLEX YO!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2005, 07:08:43 AM »
I like budbuilt's the best I've noticed on marlin's crossmember it leave a small portion of the tcase left open on the back right corner....But it may not be a big concern..I have a homemade on mine
'84  Truggy EFI swap ,5.29's Detroit,welded,Dual Ultimate Cases,22re,3 in. downey,4 in.Marlin Front springs on back  114 wb ,39.5 Rockers,30 Spline Longs

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2005, 08:36:23 AM »
On marlins crossmember lately I have been hearing that you have to take a dremel to part of to clearance it so it fits?
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2005, 08:47:17 AM »
Since I have the R10 I can only go with the FROR Center Section and design my own crossmember.
If it was regular, I'd say Marlin or Budbuilt

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2005, 09:03:27 AM »
I've always like budbuilts crossmember, Marlins is awesome to. I be making my own because I don't think anyone make a crossmember for a 83 toy with a grany 4 speed and 205 tranny/ T case
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

Jase

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 147
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:00:42 AM »
I run a budbuilt and really like it plus he bent it with however much lift on the t-case/tranny I wanted.  :thumbs:

Sandman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -72
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2005, 10:39:46 AM »
I ran a FROR Crossmember and Skid because it gave me the option to push the transfer case flat with the frame.

sloyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 251
  • Male Posts: 818
  • Member since Mar '05
  • 1/4TiLTKrawlers.Petaluma,Ca. 707-766-9592
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2005, 10:41:56 AM »
go with buduilt or sky.i got the marlin skidplate and my t-case mounts stick out about 1/4 to 1/2 below the skidplate.poor design but it's beefy.i just need a couple of spacers and it will fix the problem.or i'll buy a budbuilt
I'm not responsable for my own action's.

locktup

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 68
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Locktup Fab
    • View Profile
    • www.locktupfabrication.com
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2005, 07:24:48 PM »
I have a heavily modified All Pro one on mine. If I was to do it over I would build one. If your not able to build one I would go with Trail-Gear or Marlins.
LOCKTUP SHOULD HAVE HIS OWN DISCOVERY CHANNEL SHOW!!

www.LOCKTUPFABRICATION.com

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:30:47 AM »
I don't even know who made mine, got it from a friend. I is for duals but I only have a single, had to mod it to fit but I won't ever hit my t-case, dang thing extends like six inches or so beyond my case. I'd go with MC looks like they cover everything.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

gedean

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -198
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:32:48 AM »
I've got the All Pro Triple X-Member.  The idea is good (essentially just a rip off of a FROR idea) and the price is awesome.  300 bucks for a crossmember + integrated driveshaft parking brake.  The design of the x-member will pretty much ensure that you will never bust a motor mount.  You can tell an increase in the vibrations transmitted into the cab but it's not much to worry about.  You can also custom mount it up even higher (though you will have to redo your driveshaft tunnel, and some work to the frame crossmember.  Eric at www.yotamasters.com did this.  I had yotamasters put in mine, along with a dual ultimate from Marlin.  I have had one major problem with it though.  The bracket that mounts the parking brake was not made correctly.  The bracket was angled in such a manner that it allowed the caliper to put a small amount of pressure onto the disk.  Not enough to be noticeable when driving, but enough that it heated up the disk at the rear of the t-case.  Cruising down the freeway at 70 mph was enough that the heat transfered to the rear seal on the T-case and caused it to leak.  Yotamasters took care of it though.  Not only did they fix the seal, fight with All-Pro to get the parts fix the x-member and fix the parking brake they did it all for free, without complaint, and whenever I had the time to come in.  The unit works fine now, thanks mostly to Jay and Eric at Yota Masters not All Pro.  All Pro took almost a month to give up a new caliper, (they wouldn't part with a whole new x-member), so Jay King worked the mount over and got it right.  The funniest part is that All Pro tried to blame them, rather than their defective part.  All in all it is a great price for a copy of a great idea.  Had the part been correct, or quickly fixed by the manufacturer I'd have had no qualms about recommending the triple x-member, as it is I have no qualms about recommending Yota Masters.
2000 Tacoma 3.4 V6, 5 speed, 4.88 gears, E-locker rear, 255/85R16 BFG MT, Lefty with Marlin Dual Cases and 4.7 gears topped off by a triple stick.

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:56:35 AM »
go with buduilt or sky.i got the marlin skidplate and my t-case mounts stick out about 1/4 to 1/2 below the skidplate.poor design but it's beefy.i just need a couple of spacers and it will fix the problem.or i'll buy a budbuilt
Here is the Marlin unit installed. The t-case mounts do extend below the skid plate but not by much (1/8 to 1/4 inch). My guess is the first real contact will shave that minimal amount off of the mount. The other alternative would be to intall some washers or simply grind down the mount a bit. Has anyone using Marlin's unit ever got caught up on a 1/4 inch mount. :confused:  
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2005, 10:01:45 AM by Shoyrtt »
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2005, 03:10:51 PM »
My crossmember is thrashed so this is on my list of needs too.  I always like to support Marlin so I'd like to go with theirs, but here is an issue.  I run a single case now, but may go dual in the future...can you run a single case with the dual case crossmember?  Will the rear driveshaft clear on full droop?
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0