Author Topic: Gauge cluster swap  (Read 3983 times)

94SRUNNER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -291
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Gauge cluster swap
« on: Dec 06, 2005, 06:01:03 PM »
I have a gauge cluster that has the full lineup of gauges. It is from a 4 cylinder 4runner, so I am pretty that it should work in my truck. I installed it in my truck the other day and the tach does not work. The other gauges work just fine. Am I missing something because I was told it is supposed to work. It is replacing the standard gauge cluster that came with most Toyota Pickups of the day. Any help on this would be awesome, I really want to keep the stock look in the truck without having to pickup a aftermarket tach. Thanks. (I hope this is in the right forum)
Insured by Smith and Wesson

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Gauge cluster swap
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:02:45 PM »
Ok, as for the plugs, they are the same, assuming that both gauges are from the same generation 4Runner, in your case, 1990-95. But, if your '94 did not come with a tach from the factory, and you are installing a new inst. cluster that has one, then you will need to locate the Black IGN+ Signal wire from your Ignitor, and add a wire to it and route that to your C plug on your inst. cluster, usually in position 11 or 12 I believe.

Check a wiring diagram and look for the Ignition Signal wire (IGN+), which is Black (with no stripes) and runs from your Ignitior to your ECU.

Everything else should work ok, but what about the Low Fuel Level Indicator light? I don't believe non-SR5 models had that on the pickups, but I am not sure about the 4Runners. If your 4Runner does not have it, then not only will that circuit not exist, but also you would only have a 2-wire fuel pump sending unit.

Good luck!
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

94SRUNNER [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -291
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:27:38 PM »
Thanks that is a big help! Next question is where do I find a wiring diagram, probably a dumb question.
Insured by Smith and Wesson

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2005, 09:12:57 PM »
Autozone, Napa, Pepboys, Kragens, etc.

I just looked on eBay and there are lots of Factory Service Manuals (FSM) on there, for many different years..

I searched for "toyota 4runner manual"

Cya
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2005, 09:55:47 PM »
my truck is a 4x2, and as base model as they come, not even a deluxe or anything....

its also an 85 though.... it has a fuel guage but no low fuel light..... i have actually run it dry
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2006, 08:48:31 AM »
so your oil pressure, fuel and temp all work and plug right in?  The only thing you need to do is run a wire for the tach?  I have an 89 that has only the basic gauges and I want to put an insturment cluster out of a 92 that has the gauge package. 
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

11 Bravo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2006, 08:13:50 AM »
so your oil pressure, fuel and temp all work and plug right in?  The only thing you need to do is run a wire for the tach?  I have an 89 that has only the basic gauges and I want to put an insturment cluster out of a 92 that has the gauge package. 

Do you have a V-6 or a 4 cyl? I parted out a rolled 92 4Runner V-6 and it had the electronic speedo. I also parted out a rust bucket 1990 4Runner V-6 and it had the mechanical spedo.

Do you already have the cluster from the 92 and is it the same hook-ups as your 89?

Hey Big Mike. I was covered up at work for awhile and didn't come around here much. Do you still need the lighted rear view mirror? I still have one and I think I have the dome light you were looking for too. If you still want them send me a PM.
I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things.

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2006, 09:09:44 AM »
I went to see if it would work in my 89 last night and it has the electronic speed control so I will need to find one that has the manual speedo like mine.  Do you have the one out of the 90 for sale?  I have a 4cyl, so I don't know if I can use one out of a 6cyl.
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

11 Bravo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2006, 07:23:24 PM »
I went to see if it would work in my 89 last night and it has the electronic speed control so I will need to find one that has the manual speedo like mine.  Do you have the one out of the 90 for sale?  I have a 4cyl, so I don't know if I can use one out of a 6cyl.

Yes I have the one from the 1990 with the mechanical spedo and all the gauges. It is for a V-6 engine. I have read posts on here where guys talk about how to make the V-6 tach work with the 4 cylinder, but it sounds like a bit of work. Does the cluster from the 92 have the tach for the 4 cylinder? If it does I would think you can swap the tach over pretty easy.

Check into it and if it is something you are interested in trying let me know. If you want it you can have the cluster for $15 plus the shipping.
I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things.