Author Topic: Suckers!!!!  (Read 2190 times)

flourman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 333
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Got Body Damage??
    • View Profile
Suckers!!!!
« on: Dec 02, 2005, 06:26:34 AM »
Some punks stole my CD player out of my sami last night.  Little did they know the unit was toasted because it took a healthy dip in some nasty water!!! :yupyup:  Now it saves me the trouble of having to yank it myself to put in a cheapo radio cause I'm getting XM in a couple weeks.  It just goes to show how truly stupid they are because they left the working amp which was directly behind the driver's seat and they didn't even touch a fully charge fire extinguisher I have in the cab as well. 

They didn't break any thing on the rig, hell it doesn't even have windows on the doors, so they just opened the door.  One thing I'm looking at now is a locking center console though.  Even though I'm getting a cheapo radio, I want to avoid the water thing.
Doin' it FULLSIZE style!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Suckers!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2005, 03:38:08 PM »
Some punks stole my CD player out of my sami last night.  Little did they know the unit was toasted because it took a healthy dip in some nasty water!!! :yupyup:  Now it saves me the trouble of having to yank it myself to put in a cheapo radio cause I'm getting XM in a couple weeks.  It just goes to show how truly stupid they are because they left the working amp which was directly behind the driver's seat and they didn't even touch a fully charge fire extinguisher I have in the cab as well. 

They didn't break any thing on the rig, hell it doesn't even have windows on the doors, so they just opened the door.  One thing I'm looking at now is a locking center console though.  Even though I'm getting a cheapo radio, I want to avoid the water thing.

What about an overhead console?  Seen a jeep one adapted to a sammi, looked purty good :thumbs:  the stereo was in a box that when opened dropped at an angle enough to see the face.  It also had a CB up there, with the same box thing.  When you parked it, you just pushed it up, and locked it in.  Waterproof, and secure :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

flourman [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Got Body Damage??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2005, 05:11:14 PM »
I was thinking of an overhead type and I need a CB as well.  I just had to laugh when I crawled in this morning, though.  They went to the work of stealing it in a lighted, enclosed parking lot, and it was a toasted unit.
Doin' it FULLSIZE style!

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 800
  • Member since May '05
  • the rocscrambler's rock blazer
    • View Profile
    • Home of the rockscrambler
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2005, 05:34:22 PM »
both 4wheeldrivehardware and quadratec have overheads that will hold radio and CB and I talked to one of the board members at
 www.4wd.com/forums that modified one and he said he had just enough room length wise but had to use different mounts
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you
87 Chevy K5 V10 tonka truck,87 Toyota 4runner
83 Jeep CJ8,sold-76 Dodge W200 & 87 Ford broncoII

POWERSTROKEN

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2005, 05:50:17 PM »
   Hey man sorry to hear about the theft.  It takes all kind's...To make the world go round.  I have heard of people using Army ammo boxes.  They are water tight and you could lock them up.  just bolt it to your floor.  Hope it helps.  Jim
"Don't RAM it...STROKE it"

flourman [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Got Body Damage??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2005, 06:03:42 PM »
Hey man sorry to hear about the theft. It takes all kind's...To make the world go round. I have heard of people using Army ammo boxes. They are water tight and you could lock them up. just bolt it to your floor. Hope it helps. Jim

I've thought about that too, but I'm liking the overhead console idea.  The thing is it's more of a funny thing.  Especially that they left the fire extinguisher which is probably worth twice what the stereo was ever worth.  It probably took them so long to figure out how to open the door, that they just grabbed the stereo.

I do feel a little violated though.  Too bad this isn't Kansas or else I'd sit and wait for the bastards with a 12 gauge and a case of beer. :gap:
Doin' it FULLSIZE style!

POWERSTROKEN

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2005, 06:06:33 PM »
   Watch what you do over head console wise.  In the event of a rollover I have seen many hit their heads on them.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2005, 06:48:05 PM »
   Watch what you do over head console wise.  In the event of a rollover I have seen many hit their heads on them.

:werd: I was thinking that exact thing I've been in a few of my friends rigs and some have junk mounted overhead and I just thought of the headache I have if I hit it. :sick:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2005, 08:25:36 PM »
I built a custom overhead console in my '72 cruiser. When I rolled it several years later, it was the source of a really nasty laceration on the top of my head, which required staples to put me back together. Now I have a scar on my roof that looks like the Mercedes Benz hood ornament.

That said, I still like the idea of an overhead, and plan to build one for my 4-Runner once I put a cage in it.

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

flourman [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Got Body Damage??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2005, 08:25:53 PM »
I'm hoping for some 5-point harnesses from the wife for Christmas.  Those should keep us in our seats fairly well.
Doin' it FULLSIZE style!

POWERSTROKEN

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2005, 08:38:26 PM »
As far as the harnesses go check with any racer friends?  They expire every 2 years and have to be replaced or re-certified so you might be able to get some for free or next to it?  Good Luck.  Jim

flourman [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Got Body Damage??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2005, 10:48:52 PM »
I couldn't wait until Christmas, I picked up one off ebay for $17 and looking to pick up another fairly cheap in a couple days. 

I was talking to one of my old friends who used to race IMCA and he was the one who filled me in on the little tidbit of info.  I think the IMCA rules stated they had to be replaced every year.  I'm probably going to pick up my other one from him because he doesn't race anymore and he just wants to get rid of it!!
Doin' it FULLSIZE style!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2005, 11:38:21 PM »
Wow, that is really dumb. Well, when my MP3/Cd deck got nabbed from my MR2 while I was in the shop doing my second first-gen MR2 Supercharger conversion, they also left my amp and 10" sub there, and also left the G-Tech Pro (2nd version) in my glove box, right where I had the face place.

I was pretty dumb. For some reason I took the face off and put it in the glove box, and then locked the gb. I always leave the doors unlocked, as it was parked behind a closed gate even, and if they really want to get into my car, they will just break a window and then I am out a window... Well they must have brought a crobar because they majorally screwed up my poor baby. The broke the glove box door, it's supporting latch, and the whole plastic bezel which covered up the entire AC unit from below the box. I basically had to replace half of the dash.

Lesson learned: just carry the face with ya *duh* :idiot:

But you know, they left behind some stuff that they could have sold, but I think they are more into the quick grab-and-go then anything else. If they know they can just grab the radio, well then that's a quick $50 or whatever.

Really sucks

Protect your stuff! Get a car alarm at least!
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki