Author Topic: WHY ARE JEEPS BETTER THAN TOYOTAS  (Read 22004 times)

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Re: WHY ARE JEEPS BETTER THAN TOYOTAS
« Reply #30 on: Nov 10, 2005, 05:46:27 PM »
Chevyguy, Crawlerdan wasn't refering to toyota as making the first 4x4.  He said that the first 4x4 by toyota was made in that year.  It doesn't matter if it was production or not, Jeep wasn't the first 4x4.  rear toyota 8 inch is stronger then a rear Dana 44 too.

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #31 on: Nov 10, 2005, 05:46:34 PM »
That sucks, sorry that to happen.  Hey I would like to see more pics of your jeep and some specs. 
Post some up in the Rig Gallery if you want. 

h0nke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since May '05
  • need $$$$ for parts
    • View Profile
    • Firth4X4
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #32 on: Nov 10, 2005, 05:50:52 PM »
Whiteman - your avatar kicks ass. But I just quit chewin after 3 years you are torturing me. AHHHHHHHHHH man you got no idea how bad i want to take a dip.
1980 SR5 shortbed pickup (Project Rust Bucket)

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #33 on: Nov 10, 2005, 05:52:47 PM »
Are you "climbing like a spider up the wall".         :hahaha:  :laugh:

uzaho

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 10, 2005, 06:10:09 PM »
Well Ive owned two jeeps (wrangler/cherokee) which were both lifted and locked and blah blah and I switched to yota 6 months or so ago simply because alot of my friends wheel em so I had access to spare parts and alot of knowledge that I didnt have. Plus I always felt like an ass when I would say how much better my cherokee flexed than thier yotas (which was true at the time) and then my puny little axle would shatter. :rivers:

If anything, Ive definately learned alot about the history of toys and jeeps.  I think, :headscratch:

TigerToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 10, 2005, 06:49:55 PM »
I concede; from 1978-1983 Toyota had weak transmissions.  I guess I will have to buy a Jeep.  (or a W56 for 200 dollars)

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Oct '05
  • boot scoot put in 4low and boogie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 10, 2005, 07:25:58 PM »
But if you compare a 85 cj7 top model I think would be the Renegade, but cant remamber, to an 85 Toyota be it a 4-runner or pick up I would honestly say the Toyota is the stronger more reliable rig.  But as far as capability goes.  It does not matter what you drive I don't care who you are,  it is how you drive it that makes rig capable

ver well put white man :clap2:  :clap:
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 10, 2005, 08:48:08 PM »
Never forget that jeeps have been using *gasp* toyota transmissions for years.  They just stopped int he last few years.  The AX15 is a r150f from a V6 yota, the AW4 is a A340 also from a yota.  Go figure they are both strong.  Now jeep even used yota trannies back in the day (think t4 and t5) those are just glorified L and G series tranny's. ;)  Neither of which is strong at all, even in a yota with a 4 popper.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Oct '05
  • boot scoot put in 4low and boogie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 11, 2005, 07:55:59 AM »
do you kno wat years exactaly jeep used toyota tranys
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 11, 2005, 08:05:39 AM »
I drive an 82 toyota truck that was built in japan. This truck has bin in the united states its hole life now. Giving jobs to Americans that sell parts and working on it. What better way to stick it to them.  Also if you took all the money the marlin board members have poured into their TOYOTA trucks, It has prolly boosted the use economy, A LOT.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

vaj70cruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 609
  • Member since Apr '05
  • marlin ultimate crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Nov 11, 2005, 10:25:21 AM »
Title said: Jeeps are better then Toyotas…

I’ll say Jeep is better in a way that almost everyone in America drives a Jeep. In any case, in Asia all Asian drive Toyota and that doesn’t make Toyota better then a Jeep…for me that’ll depends on the life style you have with these robots…but to compare these two on some situation one does better then the other, but I’ll said they both will end up alike. They were designed to for it’s owe propose like a Jeep short wheel base and had a hard time climbing through steep vertical hills, but the short wheel had a advantage of tight spots and areas such as narrowed dirt roads, hitting trees, and the best is death end trial (where you put yourself at an death end trial and you have to turn the vehicle back). On the other hands, Toyota were really designed for the Hikorito Najira rock trial in Japan were the long wheel base are really had it up the severe of darkness and glide at 360 degree of heat from the twin city of Hiroshima and Nakasaki. or the 4x4 was special deigned to suite it’s needs as in Thailand Asia mountain rang altitude of as high as 15000 to 25000 feet and still have plenty of room for the hole family fun (I talking about 10 to 15 members in a single ride) and luggage in the back full time for 5 to 6 days and nights of traveling and put about 2000 miles in the 4 bagger a day...back and forth at time were 365’s to 6 month of rain fall were dirt road becomes mire (actual dirt road, not like in U.S. as part of road are sands) and so gummy that it splits into two land. That’s where the 4-wheel and long wheel base comes to play and to get the job done, like the Jeep hasn’t been born yet…

Best of all originally Toyota were designed for those propose and more much more…but I didn’t say Toyota is better then Jeep. I’ll remember it just starting to break-in no matter how it drives...
Fj40 V8 efi ss350 marlin ultimate crawler 290:1

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #41 on: Nov 11, 2005, 02:16:03 PM »
This is a statement based on facts, experience, majority, observation, and just my plain old  :twocents: .

Like i said before you have to compare models equally.  A 2006 Jeep Rubicon is no fair match at all to any Toyota of any year.  Hence no Toyota's came with lockers, or low range t-cases, or linked coil suspension that offers an exceptionally capable trail rig.

So yea at the present time in the automobile industry jeep holds the trophy to having the most elegantly equipped 4-wheel drive vehicle available to you and me.

But does that make it better, no not at all.  If the guy driving that brand new rubicon does not have any skill or common sense then his rig is useless and can be as incapable off road as a Honda civic.

If you go out to the trails you will see a lot of jeeps and a lot of Toyota's as well as many other capable rigs.  But the only ones you will see at the top of the hill or other end of the mud hole are the rigs navigated by a driver who is not concerned about what he drives but how he drives when he drives it.

Neither Jeep or Toyota are awesome rigs that please the customer all the time because we all have to install lockers or lifts, or a roll cage, or exhaust etc...etc.

Just make sure what ever you drive  is what you want and you drive it to the best of your capabilities and never look down on me for what i drive.

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 11, 2005, 03:40:52 PM »
Pesonally, I drive a Toyota, because I've owned several different 4x4's, and in my experience, they offer the optimum value for the $$. Just my experience, which matters to me, but not to anyone else.

[Rant: on]
I respect any 4-wheeler who will take the time to learn about his/her rig, build it according to their planned use for it, and then go wheel the crap (responsibly) out of it.

What I can't stand is the mindless "X" is better than "Y". Really, it doesn't make a bit of difference what the hell your driving, as long as you know how to wheel, and know the limits of your vehicle. I get ticked off when people will judge you based on the vehicle your driving. Who the hell cares? What difference does it make...None!

I get pissed off at the [insert brand here] owners, who will look down their nose at anyone who doesn't drive a [insert brand here]. Jeeps are not the best, neither are Toyota, Chevy, Ford or Izuzu. I could take two identical rigs, build them totally differntly, and one would handle rocks, but couldn't do mud and vice-a-verse. The "best" is how you build your rig, according to what you will be doing with it. It's all about getting out there, and having a good time.

Sure it's fun to poke at "the other guy", and if it's done in good humor, I'm all for it (I've even been known to let out a jeep joke or two). Lets just not take it so serious that people start banging their fists and stomping around. It's not that damned important.
[Rant: off]

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Nov 11, 2005, 04:08:02 PM »
 :bowdown:  :clap:

Well said.

Lets get past this and have some fun cause it is all about fun and when you can enjoy your self and not be stuck up about what you or anyone else drives it is more enjoyable for everyone.

Lets shake hands and go wheeling.  :driving:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Nov 11, 2005, 04:15:47 PM »
Lets shake hands and go wheeling

Mark, I'd be honored to wheel with you any day.

:beerchug: to you my friend.

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Nov 11, 2005, 04:29:16 PM »
Erik, You are welcome in my camp anytime.  :beerchug:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Nov 11, 2005, 05:39:47 PM »
And for all of you driving a 1980 toyota you should see wherer they were made in 1980, not currently.

Oh really?!  So I guess the toyota tag between my bed and cab on my 81 saying it was made in a plant in california is a lie?  Boy does my truck feel stupid now, you've obviously proven your point, jack!  If you don't like how people are posting in the jeep section report it to the moderators, don't start petty childish threads like this, but if you can't conduct yourself in a mature fashion then you should hit the bricks, THIS IS NOT PIRATE!!!  If you act like a respectful adult people will treat you as such, if you come across as a pompous jack ass then don't pregnant dog when you're ridden hard and put away wet...........CHUMP.

Oh yea, does your jeep have 506,000 miles on most of the stock drivetrain, and 350,000 miles on an engine that has rusted solid twice, and doesn't yet smoke?  Hm, too bad, my toyota does...........
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Nov 11, 2005, 06:57:19 PM »
and to me, a well built rig is a well built rig, be it a jeep, toyota, suzuki or chevy or ford or whatever.  my uncle has a '70 CJ5 that i'd absolutely kill for.  it's nearly mint condition, kind of always been his summer cruiser.

whoever can trash a 20r and 22r, you have my respect.  i've tried to kill these and i've never been able to succeed.  i ran my 20R with a little over a quart of oil in the pan before for weeks at a time, i've revved all of my engines over 7000RPM numerous times and the only thing i've ever blown were carb gaskets :laugh:

and oooh, the big bad dana 44.  my 8" is every bit as strong, lighter and cheaper to work on than your 44.  you can keep it.  how about that dana 30 front end? :slap:

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Nov 11, 2005, 07:25:07 PM »
Again threads like this is like talking about abortion or politics. There will never be a middle ground that we will all agree on so let's give it a rest.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #49 on: Nov 11, 2005, 11:15:52 PM »
Again threads like this is like talking about abortion or politics. There will never be a middle ground that we will all agree on so let's give it a rest.

:clap2: Very well stated MrW.  I would like to keep this thread going strong on good terms ya'll :thumbs:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Nov 11, 2005, 11:30:37 PM »
Hey Whiteman I dont supose you have any idea where all those HP E-lockers came from do ya?  ;)  fj-80's were available with lockers front and rear in the 90's. 

furrballs, the ax-15 was used starting in 89 I believe and used till about 99 when they switched over to using a NVG-3500/3550 The AW-4 was used from the begining of the yj (87) till about 99 also when they replaced it with the tf999
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Nov 12, 2005, 09:21:54 AM »
whoever can trash a 20r and 22r, you have my respect.  i've tried to kill these and i've never been able to succeed.  i ran my 20R with a little over a quart of oil in the pan before for weeks at a time, i've revved all of my engines over 7000RPM numerous times and the only thing i've ever blown were carb gaskets :laugh:

:ha_ha: Unfortunatly my sister was able to blow a 20r.I give it credit though it took it for awhile.It was my dad's 79.The motor prolly had over 300,000 on it,the compression was low so when he parked it on the little hill beside our driveway he'd have to put it in 4 low so it wouldn't roll off.Well her car wouldn't start one morning so she had to drive it to school.She couldn't get it out of 4low so she drove it to school that way.As fast as she could go.Probably 45-50,in low range  :shocking: .A 20 mile round trip.It made it back to the house before sending the number 1 rod through the side of the block.It still ran but man did it sound awful.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Nov 12, 2005, 10:27:19 AM »
Several years ago when I had water shooting into the #4 cylinder my truck would overheat in a matter of minutes.  One day I got tired of the needle being in the red so I pulled over, stuck it in nuetral and floored it, figured I'd just do it in for good.  Well, a minute or two goes by and it's still just bouncing around 6200 rpm with no problems, stuck it back in gear and drove home.  This is the same engine that later had 2 cylinders rust solid while in storage.  Back 2 cylinders looked like somebody sandblasted them in spots.  It's also the same engine I currently have in my truck, with nothing but a different head, and it has very good compression at about 350,000 miles.  I won't say that toyotas are built better than jeeps, because my truck is living proof of it.  Can't wait till I get another hybrid put together so I can pull the head on this one and see what the cylinders look like  :yesnod:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Nov 12, 2005, 01:53:42 PM »
Jeeps Toyotas! Toyota Jeeps! No matter what your opinion I think we can all agree on this...
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Nov 12, 2005, 02:45:08 PM »
Jeeps Toyotas! Toyota Jeeps! No matter what your opinion I think we can all agree on this...

:haha:
My budget beater

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Nov 12, 2005, 02:46:35 PM »
One of my favorites is "my frame only drags on lowriders"
My budget beater

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Nov 12, 2005, 03:54:29 PM »
Maybe we should change this thread to "why toyotas and jeeps are better than low-riders"!  lowriders are fat-chick compatible!  :rofl2: toyotas and jeeps= phat chick compatible.......can't we all just get along?  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 800
  • Member since May '05
  • the rocscrambler's rock blazer
    • View Profile
    • Home of the rockscrambler
« Reply #57 on: Nov 12, 2005, 04:44:07 PM »
Let me put this to rest.

Trail Worthy Jeep:
Jeep body and Ford, Chevy, or Dodge running gear. Or you could just go with the venerable AMC 20. :stopit:

Trail Worthy Yota:
Lift, Lockers, and Tires

:rivers: It's not my fault they put that under my Heep. I mean Jeep                                                                                             
amen MrsW
Maybe we should change this thread to "why toyotas and jeeps are better than low-riders"! lowriders are fat-chick compatible! :rofl2: toyotas and jeeps= phat chick compatible.......can't we all just get along? :thumbs:
  :rofl2: lowriders=fatchicks but they don't have the suspension to handle them
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you
87 Chevy K5 V10 tonka truck,87 Toyota 4runner
83 Jeep CJ8,sold-76 Dodge W200 & 87 Ford broncoII

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #58 on: Nov 12, 2005, 04:47:31 PM »
This thread is :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay:
Did you ever think the reason most of the posts are by Toyota fans, because this is a TOYOTA board? As far as it being our section, the board is open for EVERYONE to use.
I have plenty of friends that I wheel with that drive jeeps, do I care? NO, they're out on the same trails as me having FUN.
Thats my :twocents:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Nov 12, 2005, 06:08:58 PM »
Just the same as I like streetbikes and dirtbikes, I like four wheel drives and lowriders.  Hell, I have both.  My little 81 2wd toy was a tire smokin maniac till it donated it's heart to the 4by, but I have plans of puttin it back on the road before too long.  I really like cornering fast, and it's a kick to sneak up on a "performance" car when they think they're going fast through the twisties, then they let you pass and you never see them again.  Not saying it was terribly powerful or had great suspension, but when driven right it could easily embarass much better rides.  To each his own though...
RIP KYOTA