Author Topic: Balancing tires  (Read 1595 times)

Rebeltilldeath3

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -48
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Suicide Messiah
    • View Profile
Balancing tires
« on: Sep 09, 2005, 10:03:14 PM »
I'm swapping out my wheels tomorrow on my DD.  Same wheel, just wider and less backspacing.

I'm running 33"s, don't have the money to get them balanced.

Should I still put two shots of BBs in the tire since they're only 33"s?  This truck see's a lot of highway time, so will BBs be sufficient enough?

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Sep '05
  • this is why I'm web wheelin'
    • View Profile
Re: Balancing tires
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2005, 01:12:12 AM »
I would say NO.  look up the 50/50 antifreeze trick on either zuwharrie.com or Pirate4x4.com

golf balls don't really work either IMO.  Wal Mart balances for like $3 a tire????????????
I'm going yota JUST so I can buy from Marlin more.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2005, 11:25:46 AM »
Did you buy them from a local tire shop?  Do they have a rebalance policy? 

Does your local high school have a mechanic shop?  Mine did, and I used to take my rig in and have the students balance them.  I was free!  Once in a while I would throw in a case of mtn dew!  And they would be happy!  :biggthumpup:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

1tonCroozer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 111
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Doin' time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2005, 07:01:56 PM »
Used two shots in my 37" MT/R's. I've got a slight hop around 65-70.

Remember. You can't really overkill the amount. If your tires are cupped or worn odd they will need more to balance out. If they are great condition AT's...I doubt you'd need a full shot glass. Whatever the tire doesn't require to balance just becomes inert.

BB's work. I've been told they don't. I have personally used them now (recommended by WhiteTrash) and can attest to them working.

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2005, 06:04:32 AM »
Antifreeze and water can come out of the valvestem when you air down.  BB's can't, its the same principal either way but bb's can be pulled out for a flat repair with a magnet and re-used.  ;)  What can I say Ive been doing this for awhile. :greengrin:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Rebeltilldeath3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Suicide Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2005, 12:01:12 PM »
Did you buy them from a local tire shop? Do they have a rebalance policy?

Does your local high school have a mechanic shop? Mine did, and I used to take my rig in and have the students balance them. I was free! Once in a while I would throw in a case of mtn dew! And they would be happy! :biggthumpup:

I ordered them straight from Mickey Thompson (I'm a dealer for them).  At the time I worked at a different shop, so I balanced them myself.

I would never take my tires to a high school to be balanced, I know how hard they were to balance and how much weight it took.  I would never trust a bunch of flunkies taking shop to get out of class to balance my tires.

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2005, 12:05:19 PM »
I ordered them straight from Mickey Thompson (I'm a dealer for them).  At the time I worked at a different shop, so I balanced them myself.

I would never take my tires to a high school to be balanced, I know how hard they were to balance and how much weight it took.  I would never trust a bunch of flunkies taking shop to get out of class to balance my tires.

talk trash about highschool students. but i can garentee you that i could balance a tire. sometimes high school kids tend to know a little about a lot
Im an OG

Rebeltilldeath3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Suicide Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2005, 12:09:18 PM »
I go to night school at the local vocational school for welding, all I hear about from all the teachers is how big of flopp ups all the kids are in the school.  They just go there to get out of standard classes.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2005, 12:25:42 PM »
and make shure to use the quick silver bbs not the copper ones  :beerchug:

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2005, 05:12:26 PM »
 Ya I was going to ask how you used a magnet to collect lead or copper BB's.  I am getting some 33's and have been wandering about the balance problem. I start buying the quick silvers..I take a magnet with me too to make sure the BB's I buy are Steel.   :smack:    Hell I just remembered. go to your local gun shot and buy a bag of steel shot for reloading shot gun shells. You can get any size you want 00 down to #10 shot...Sounds like it's time for a trip to the local Bass Pro Shop.