Author Topic: News on Katrina  (Read 2059 times)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
News on Katrina
« on: Sep 01, 2005, 11:24:45 AM »
Any one from storm ravaged area? Hope all is well with you and yours

I have a friend that works for the big power company, CLECO, in Pineville, LA. (about 3 hours N. of New Orleans)

I've been getting updated reports from him that you may not hear from the media. I have seen on the shout box that there is some confusion of the facts and thought it might be good to share what we know (or think we know)

This is from an email I got from my friend earlier today:

"I will get back in and chat in a while. We are running over here. In fact I was moving fast enough awhile ago I met myself in the hall. I thought, wow, that guy is a thingy :-)

BTW they are starting to ration our gas here. We have about 5000 refugees in our twin cities, diesel is out all over southeast Louisiana. (We are bringing tankers in from other states for our crews)

But Bush is opening the reserves today so that will help. Also my brother was dispatched this morning back out to his rig in the gulf so production will start back soon.

It's a small one but at least it's a silver lining.

The whole area in the gulf w/ the rigs is called the Loop. They seem to believe they can be back in production pretty quick.

Well one the the State buildings in Baton Rouge has been locked down. Seems the rioting is starting to migrate this way. I think I have a couple of things at home with little sights on the end that I will put in my truck.

Let's hope they can get the other 11 rigs that were blown off their rigging back on line quick. It would be one less thing to worry about for sure.

Anyone feel any differently about the drilling in Alaska for oil? The people of Alaska were for it, W tried to make it happen, but there was a strong voice from the conservation groups that killed it. I hear they don't get a lot of hurricanes up there, and they wanted the jobs."

Well that's all for now. I'll let you know if I hear more.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: News on Katrina
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2005, 12:36:25 PM »
Yep, as they were talking about all those rigs that were knocked off thier moorings the first thing that came to mind was the drilling issue in Alaska and that smirk I've been seeing on Bush's face and could just feel his vibes and thinking that this is going to push his agenda along and maybe help us get some relief and some Alasken's a few jobs.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2005, 12:59:01 PM »
I can't wait for them to start drilling in Alaska. I'll immediately put on a "Sierra Club can Kiss My Axle" sticker once they do that
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2005, 02:07:40 PM »
That's a good one BigMike!!

More from the front line:

"We have several of the 9th Ward refugees here. They are the low class people from N.O. Rumors already started right before lunch that there was a riot at the super walmart just down the road, a carjacking, purse snatching, and shots fired from a Shell station about 1/2 mile from here.
My wife called and said they closed the Pineville branch of their bank when the supposedly shots were fired."
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2005, 02:32:45 PM »
That's just sad, sure these people need help, it just turns people off to helping. My very thoughts when I was watching this kind of stuff on T.V. was why, why should I help people like these. I know we all need to help but it just sucks to see and know that if you do give those are the people that will benefit from your help, not the ones that were able to get out of the area.

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2005, 09:54:53 AM »
Just saw an interesting artilce in the paper about "shale oil" they've found under Utah and Colorado. They estimate it could supply the US with 1/2 our required oil needs for the next 400 years. Doing the math, that's all the oil needs we have for 200 years!

Screw OPEC!

It's a shame some of these people can't just be gracious, and accept the help they're recieving without commiting crime and screwing it up for the rest of the folks. It definatly sours someone from wanting to help.

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2005, 09:56:59 AM »
Just saw an interesting artilce in the paper about "shale oil" they've found under Utah and Colorado. They estimate it could supply the US with 1/2 our required oil needs for the next 400 years. Doing the math, that's all the oil needs we have for 200 years!

Screw OPEC!

It's a shame some of these people can't just be gracious, and accept the help they're recieving without commiting crime and screwing it up for the rest of the folks. It definatly sours someone from wanting to help.

Yeah but now they will be fighting the greenies for the next 50 years to be able to drill there.

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2005, 01:27:11 PM »
No doubt. Maybe we should add a surcharge to members of the Sierra Club. That would probably shut them up for a while.

* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!