Author Topic: What cd player to purchase ?  (Read 4279 times)

No Power

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
What cd player to purchase ?
« on: Jul 27, 2005, 03:36:19 PM »
I have always had sony and the last one I bought only lasted about a year.
Then buttons started falling off :hammer: WTF
What cd players are yall running?
What is the best and what should I stay away from :help:
Thanks,
Mike
Roll me back over !!!

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Re: What cd player to purchase ?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2005, 03:45:09 PM »
DONT BUY PIONEER!!!!! Mine is the biggest pile of :pokinit: Ive bought! Ive had it for 3 months now... First off, it will not eject CDs. You have to stick something in the right side move it around and then it will come out. Second, it will not read cds! I bought a brand new CD and it will not read it. It will read the first 4-5 songs and then it will stop. It does that on almost all my CDs. Third, the screen randomly turns off... Dont know why. Fourth, the stupid thing says Error-12 every once in a while when trying to read a CD....

And MOST OF ALL, do not buy it from Best Buy! I got mine there (oh yeah and it was $200), got the $30 warranty and walked out happy thinking if something goes wrong (like all the crap above) I can take it back and get a new one. WRONG!!! Best buy is incredably gay and will not even look at the thing to see if the lens is dirty or whatnot. They have to send it off to Pioneer and they will look at it and and fix it, and if they cant fix it, I get the same or equivalent. It usually takes about 1-2 weeks too....

Oh yeah and all of that stuff happened about 25 days after I got it. And that was before I was on any dusty roads or anything. And also it says in black and white that they will replace it no matter what before 30 days... They lied. Wouldnt do anything but send it in. Now I went and talked to Circuit City about their warranty, they fix it in town and if it doesnt get fixed in 4 days, Id get a new one.... Needless to say Pioneer lost any CD Deck sales from me and so has Best Buy for pretty much anything.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

No Power [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2005, 04:07:10 PM »
Yeah I got my CRAP from Best Buy also NEVER AGAIN :nope:
Anybody know of a good quality cd player ???
Roll me back over !!!

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2005, 04:57:15 PM »
KENWOOD
in the projects nooga, anything goes

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2005, 05:59:51 PM »
Kenwood x2.  I run Kenwood decks in my Supra and in my Tow rig- they work great.  I've got a cheapo in my trail truck tho...
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2005, 06:14:59 PM »
I've always had Pioneer, and never had any problems(other than getting stolen) until I'd had 'em at least two years...and it was the Eject thing mentioned above...only problem I've ever had...and then it got stolen... :ha_ha:

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2005, 06:16:16 PM »
I've had a JVC in my rig for 5 or 6 years, and it's still working great. It has a wireless remote, which is nice when your bouncing around on the trail. You don't have to try and push those moving buttons.
"Don't" get anything with a motorized face. The dust will kill it quick. I did get one with a flip down face, I figured it would help keep a little dust out of the cd player.
I also like KW's too.
I used to install stereo's, back then I put in tons of Clarions. Not sure if they're still good.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2005, 06:17:51 PM »
 I just get some thing cheap that will skip any time the kids even fart or I hit a bump!  :dunno:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

over_rev

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 230
  • Male Posts: 370
  • Member since Feb '03
  • No Assistance Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2005, 08:19:51 PM »
My KW Flip down W/sat only lasted 6 months!Will not Eject CD's and the data screen or volume dial does not work unless I tap the face :mad:
        But atleast I can go down to Best buy and just warranty it,I hope they just dont take it apart.I was at the Hammers in a sand storm :laugh:
       It plays verey good offroad,It did not skip while I had the 4runna up too 45 threw the lakebed :beer:

Not bad though Id recomend one just make sure the warrenty is good.

Believe me I put mine threw the test 1/2 doors since january
Pak It In Pack It Out!!

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2005, 09:40:43 PM »
In my last truck I had an  Eclipse Deck . I loved it. I had it four about 2 years not a single problem. It was kinda pricey though.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2005, 10:43:54 PM »
I've got an Aiwa that I really like. It has lasted about 3 years for me, still plays fine, I can only think of 3 occasions when it skipped. The only problem I have ever had is recently it stopped playing burnt CDs, and some of my older, more scratched CDs. I think the lens is probably dirty.  It has been incredilby dusty, but ran like a champ. I aslo used to have an alpine in my dodge, that worked fine, beatthe crap outta it, and it never faltered either.  O h yeah, the aiwa has a remote also, that is real nice :psss: when I can find it.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2005, 10:51:46 PM »
Before I got into wheeling I was into Stereo's pretty heavily.  Ive ran pretty much every brand out there and I like about 80% of them for general usage.  The only ones Ive had issues with was a pioneer that just had lots of issues and an Aiwa that would skip when you looked in its general direction. 

My favorite deck (believe it or not) for beating on was the jensen pos that came in my 84.  It would not skip to save your life and it nbever got dirty!

I have a nice pro audio clarion in my truck now that works good but it has previous owner use abuse issues so it'll be replaced with an alpine before too long.  Ive ran kenwoods and never had an issue when it was in my 84.  Sony's have the occasional hiccup with skipping/ejecting but for the price they are a pretty solid unit.

For a standard wheeling stereo just be sure to buy a major brand and dont get the $120 walmart special either.  Get it fom a stereo shop.  Walmart sells a generic version of what is available at a stereo shop.  Trust me on that. ;)
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2005, 11:02:42 PM »
I run a kenwood motorized flip down and its really nice and hardly EVER skips My only problem now is my amp :smack:  but magnolia hi-fi fixes it for free everytime!
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

AlaskaToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '02
  • Alien Containment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2005, 12:13:57 AM »
Decent luck with Kenwoods so far.  Had one crap out, but only after 10 years of service.  No too bad.  My Clarion pro audio unit is going strong and has more bells and whistles than I need or use (or know how to use).
1-ton Toy

k20

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2005, 04:07:26 AM »
ive got a sony xplode in my chevy,and an alpine in the toyota.no probs with either.

grandeyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 395
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Apr '05
  • The Gonkulator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2005, 06:22:18 AM »
I have been looking around also, just had my best buy JVC start smoking. I could see when I opened it up the power supply for it was fried, and the fusable link right next to it was just a little bent and discolored but didn't go. So it's good to see that they make the $50 part protect the $0.10 part ::) . But I did see there is a unit out there for under $200 that will play a DVD filled up with mp3 files. just google search this model number. JVC KD-DV5100. Something like 100 hrs of play time for a disk. If you have your music on computer, that would be the way to go 8).

But only if it didn't catch fire.
The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2005, 08:28:18 AM »
Get a marine set up, not only are they set up for high impact bouning around on a boat but the cool enclousures keep the dust out. They have better sampling which reduces skip. They cost more but are worth it.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2005, 11:13:57 AM »
I have a poineer in my f-250 was in it when I bought it.  I'm having the same problem lilbuddy has, it won't eject my CD.  I have had good luck with Kennwood and JVC, and I've heard nothing but bad for the Sony Xplodes (friend bought one it lasted like 2 mos). 
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2005, 01:09:26 PM »
Did you guts know that after a few years the lights on the Pioneer faceplates stars to fade out. You won't be able to see it clearly in daylight but looks fine at night. Just wanna let you guys know. Everyone I know has pioneer and they intend to dim out...... Give it e few years, that'll happen....Guaranteed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #19 on: Jul 28, 2005, 01:13:28 PM »
Did you guts know that after a few years the lights on the Pioneer faceplates stars to fade out. You won't be able to see it clearly in daylight but looks fine at night. Just wanna let you guys know. Everyone I know has pioneer and they intend to dim out...... Give it e few years, that'll happen....Guaranteed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a couple Kennwoods do that too
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

raybie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 423
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 28, 2005, 01:31:24 PM »
i'm a loyal alpine follower after working in a stereo shop.  i've had a 12disc player of theirs in my rig and after 7 years i had to open it up and clean it.  never skipped when it was new. now it will skip occationally if the bump is hard enough but does fine for the trail.  we sold pioneers as well which i don't like, however i've been impressed with how my buddies has held up in his runner with no drivers door or top and he's had it for 5-6 years.  kenwoods use to have problems with the lenses going out, i've heard that has been fixed and the shop i worked at now sells them and reports no problems. 

side thought, you know how sometimes when you pick something up you can tell its quality... well it always seemed like i didn't have to be delicate with alpines when installing but i've picked up a few sony's and other brands (new out of the box) that i was afraid the thing was going to fall apart.

and stay clear of any product with the words spark, explode, shock, etc. in the name....bad vibe.

decyfer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 240
  • Member since Mar '05
  • look at that ass
    • View Profile
    • my little business
« Reply #21 on: Jul 28, 2005, 01:33:08 PM »
kenwoods are the poop. my motorized, self masking thing is awesome.

just buy a 8 track, no skipping.
is it bad when you unplug the power wire from your stereo and it still plays

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #22 on: Jul 28, 2005, 01:35:15 PM »
just buy a 8 track, no skipping.

:rofl: gotta love them clicks and pops and white noises

jeff_aitch

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 57
  • Male Posts: 35
  • Member since Apr '05
  • AR's & 4x4's
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 28, 2005, 03:11:19 PM »
buy a player w/ inputs. plug in a mp3 player and have 1000+ hours of no skip music. no cds to scratch or get stolen. i put a super nice system in my 1990. it got ripped off w/ all my speakers. :mad:  spent over $1500 on
it. never again. sold my 90 and put my stock 90 am/fm into my 87 4x4. now run mp3's. no one wants to steal a stocker

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 28, 2005, 03:49:01 PM »
no one wants to steal a stocker

Not true. My sisters boyfriend has a 97 taco and back in high school when the truck was about a year old someone broke in and stole the stock speakers. He spend 16 dollars replacing them with another pair of stockers.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 28, 2005, 09:11:15 PM »
I strongly believe in kenwoods.  I've had a tape deck last ten years until I decided to upgrade it!  As for a CD player, I just buy those cheap ass Wally-mart portable cd players with the tape deck adaptor.  I velcro it down to the tranny hump behind the gear shift.  I've jumped it and bogged it and no problems.  If anything goes wrong, I'm only out $15.00.  Just once in a while it does a error message, and after 30 seconds it works fine!  I just copy all my discs on a cd-r so that way if they get scratched no biggie, and with the portable cd players, you can open them up and clean the lens yourself!  The one I'm on I have had for three years now!  And still goin strong! :beerchug:
Bought a Jensen 6 disc for the wifes car, it was the biggest piece of dog pile there ever was.  Bought it only because it was the only player with a one year warranty.  All others had only a 90 day warranty, or less.  Had it replaced twice under warranty, and just two days after the warranty was up!  It died! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 28, 2005, 09:13:56 PM »
i use what ever i get for free out of the impounded cars, fell, i gave a few away last week, there evrywhere :laugh:

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #27 on: Jul 29, 2005, 05:06:51 AM »
For head units I run nothing but Alpine.  Never had a problem.  I have spent a lot of time with some guys heavy into stereos, they love the Alpine head units, amps (.08% harmonic distortion at 12V), and speakers...for subs, I run an Alpine r-series, but I would grab a JL 12W7 if I could afford it.  I also really like Focal's speakers...they will take a ton of amps and are clear as a bell as loud as you can go before your ears burst.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #28 on: Jul 29, 2005, 07:15:04 AM »
Oh yeah, Alpine is good too  :thumbs: