Author Topic: project extend-a-toy  (Read 164339 times)

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
Re: project extend-a-toy
« Reply #270 on: Jan 14, 2009, 04:51:17 PM »
-I got quite side tracked with a few things here unfortunatelly...  this whole recession thing was affecting work so I gave my 2 week notice because things were turning crappy..  I am starting my new job though within a few weeks so I have had to keep everything on the downlow for a while... my girlfriend also found out that she had tumors growing on her uterous and she just had a major operation a little while ago and is recovering from that.. it turned out good though.. whew!!    and lastly, between careing for my girlfriend and everything else that has come up, it is too damn cold to be in my garage right now.. I have heaters but turned them off till some consistant paycheques start coming in to save money on heating bills....

I do have a ton of pics from where I left off though.. I should post some stuff....    I ended up finding a 97 runner with a 3.4 and a 5 speed so i parted that out and the new engine is now sitting in place of the 3 litre that was in there.. I still have to swap all of my new oil pan and strainer parts onto that engine but I have everything for that...  I am super excited about that... I have a potential line on a gen 2 supercharger for this engine too...  the front suspension and diff is in the truck and done...  the rear suspension and diff is in and done. cab mounts and everything else done.  floor done.  I have started sorting the wiring for the 3.4.    I bought brand new fenders and a hood for the truck...   and thats where I am sitting...

I guess I also was working on my fj45 landcruiser for a change of pace back in late october and november as well... that is a big project all in its own but actually I am almost done it....  I twisted the frame wheeling, blew a headgasket on the 2f and the tcase slips out of 4low....  what I did end up doing was parting out a bj60 landcruiser with a 3b diesel and a 5 speed with powersteering and mounting my fj45 body onto it... there was a ton of fabbing and fitting but the end product turned out terrific... I have about a month worth of real work on it but then it will be driveable..

I will give ya a couple of quick pics of both my cruiser and extend-a-toy.  I definitelly know how to drag out a project..  thanks a lot for the interest still... I apreciate the patients... :disturbed:

I am a busy guy with a lot of projects (both 4x4 related and not) with very little time and not a lot of money...  what can I say?? :dunno: :thumbs:

after this crazy cold weather has passed and I can uncover my igloo where I have my shop I can get back at it again with some consistancy...  until then, I am still collecting parts for 3 different projects....

I did score something good though... looks like I will be running a supercharger when the time comes!!!  I got the winning bid on ebay a short while ago and got it for a fair price..   I wont install it till i have everything finished on the truck first.. so this may be a while, but its good to know that i indeed have a supercharger..  In the next 3-4 months I will be saving for the urd fuel upgrade kit as well and then thats it for the performance end of things.... this truck will have everything that i have ever wanted to put into an all toyota build....

I start my new job on the 19th as well, so it will be good to get some decent money coming in as well.... I miss having a steady paycheque...

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2009, 04:24:03 PM by fj-rankenstein »
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #271 on: Jan 17, 2009, 02:40:17 PM »
wow nice power plant :clap:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

offroadin88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: Feb 12, 2009, 08:52:12 AM »
wow very cool build I just read through the whole thing. id love to have an extended first gen get a pic of someone sitting in the back seat for a refrence on how much room was gained.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: Feb 12, 2009, 05:49:46 PM »
lookin badass man..... 3.4's are the way to go for the big HP
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

freeze365

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 83
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: Apr 23, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
Yeah this is a pretty sweet build.  Can't wait to see more.
G55 AMG | OHLINS | TE37 BEADLOCKS | MAXXIS

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: Apr 24, 2009, 01:55:22 AM »
i wasnt going to add to this till i had "the big update"...   :disturbed:   but i will let everyone in on whats going on...  oh yeah.. years have gone by sinse i started this project.. i suck but i have other trucks i can wheel so this was never the priority...   :greengrin:

i have full intentions of being at this years marlin crawler roundup with this truck so now that it isnt sub arctic temps around here anymore i have been going nuts and trying to get some good progress again....
 as we know, i have got a 3.4 in the truck now and am just finishing sorting out the harness...  its amazing that out of that huge body harness i only needed about 15 wires to make this work...  i will be posting up connector pics with wire numbers and explanations soon to make it easier for anyone else that tries this engine into a first gen.. the harness is quitea bit nicer to work with then the 3 litre harness was..  everything just makes a little more sense and the wiring is better laid out...
 as well, i am ordering my a/c condensor, evap core, reciever dryer and a new heater core next week as well...  i will be using the a/c pump that is on the 3.4 to make this work..  the actual getting of the a/c to work is not a priority right now but getting all installed and mocked into place in the truck is...   the 3.4 wiring harness and ecu wants to share the same space as the evaporator core box assembly so i have some figuring to do there..
 on monday i am also ordering my cooling fans...  i will be getting the flex-a-lite 16 inch low profile electric fan for the main fan  and will be running two  ten inch perma-cool fans in between the grill and the rad....  all of this will be controlled by a flex-a-lite fan controller that will have a threaded sensor in my cooling system.... i dont care for the probe styles that get pushed into the fins of your rad... they arent as acurate and i hate hurting a new rad like that...

last week i had time to put my brand new daystar body mounts in and got the holes drilled in the cab floor and bolted it down....  i have every friday off due to working 4 10 hour shifts every week so starting tomorrow and through out the weekend i am going to hopefully have the newly redesigned rockers done and mabey a part of the sheetmetal work finished around the corners of this cab...  the goal is to have the major sheet metal work done by the first or so week in may...

anyways, that about it for now.. there is more but i am not prepared to talk or show pics just quite yet.....

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: Apr 24, 2009, 02:04:05 AM »
wow very cool build I just read through the whole thing. id love to have an extended first gen get a pic of someone sitting in the back seat for a refrence on how much room was gained.

it will be around 3 extra feet of floor space behind the drivers and passenger seats to the back of the cab... plus with the extra storage bins that got put into the floor it added close to 3 cubic feet of storage.. these will be used to store my first aid kit, tow straps, a few odds and ends tools, etc..  i have hinged covers made for those...just not shown in the pics...

when i get my seats installed back there i will take a pic for you of me (who is 5'9"..) sitting back there for better reference..  it will be huge though :thumbs: ......

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: Jun 22, 2009, 07:51:43 PM »
 :clap2: Pics, pics
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2009, 08:48:01 PM by hilux-1983 »
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 37
  • Male Posts: 731
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Someday my truck will look like this
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: Jun 23, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »
Both of those rigs are badass! Totally sick man!
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: Jun 27, 2009, 06:38:46 PM »
so i have been having a good day out in the garage today but still want to get a lot more done after supper...
i got the whole passenger outside all tacked into place..a few weeks ago i gave a local welding shop a spare door skin and got them to roll me some panels that had the same curvature and they turned out awesome!!  its turning out very very nice and i couldnt be happier right now..  i have been really practicing with welding sheet metal and i finally think i have the hang of it.. i have done a ton of welding today and no metal has warped at all which is awsome... i was getting it pretty close before but now it looks good..
  i also got some toys for the truck..  i ended up buying a scangauge for my truck and i got one for the car as well...  i thought they were pretty neat... and yup, they are pretty neat...  they tell you everything that your ecu computer tracks in your vehicle and you can erase codes with it as well....  it just plugs into your obd2 port...
 i also got the first part of my summit order...  they are awesome to deal with..  very professional and you get your stuff within the week.. i was quite happy to deal with them..  i ended up getting my 16 inch low profile fan, my electronic fan controller and i also have coming a grant 2001 steering wheel removal security system and two  6 inch low profile fans as well..
 and lastly, untill i know that i can run a/c in the truck i need some sort of way to air up my tires and use air tools..(i was spoiled with rmy landcruisers onboard air system so i needed something for this truck..)
i ended up buying the 15 pound series C  POWERTANK....  it looks fairly good...  i didnt want yellow but i had limited choices in the 15 pound tank version..   this thing should be able to blow up 30 or so 37 inch tires from 8psi to 30 psi apparently..   i was at the welding shopher in town today picking up more welding gas and they want just over 30 bucks to fill it.. i will call around town to see if i can get it cheaper though...
here are the pics..

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2009, 06:44:30 PM by fj-rankenstein »

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Jun 27, 2009, 06:41:31 PM »

thanks for the good words!!   i gained about 3 feet behind the front seats...   its definitelly roomy back there to have a few more people sitting back there comfy..

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Jun 27, 2009, 09:45:25 PM »
What fan set up is that?(part #, how much $$$, who did you order it from). I had installed a "black magic" fan setup from flexlite from LCengineering. I had 4 of them and everyone had the problems. Shorted wire 1 time, fried circuit board 3 times, fan motor failure 1 time. I got my money back. The circuit board is right down in the middle of the hottest part of the radiator. Take plenty of pics of the install. If you have good luck with your fan setup, I will go back to an electric fan. When mine worked it was great. Especially when the a/c cycles on and off or hot/slow trails. Did you mention what brand and size springs you have?
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2009, 09:57:51 PM by hilux-1983 »
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Jun 28, 2009, 12:29:03 AM »
the fan is a Flex-a-lite 119 model fan.. its the slim line version...     http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-118/   and i got it from summit... i have heard of people having issues with the black magic ones but these ones seemed pretty solid..  there is nothing to really go wrong with this. its just a motor and some blades...   i am taking a bit of a chance on the electronic fan controller though.. i have always been a believer of trying to stay away from anything electronic and keep things as simple as possible but i will try something once if it looks good...  if something goes wrong i can always wire it direct to get me home..  the fan was 144 bucks..   the fan controller was 150 bucks..   www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-31163/

as far as the springs go, for the front of my truck i have 51 inch 3rd gen rear springs that i combined with some first gen rear springs all re-arched by myself to give me about 5 inches of lift..  the rear springs on my truck are a set of trailmart 5 inch heavy duty springs.. i got free shipping on them along with a big order i got at the time but they arent made very well.. one spring is arched a bit more than the other and they are also made bent..  i didnt want to pay to ship them back so i just sucked it up and used them.. i will try a set of marlins next set.. :thumbs:

i am using a new 3 litre v6 rad as well... this combined with the fan that i bought gives me just enough room to squeeze everything in there!!

i dont think you will have to worry about the pics part..  i love taking pics of everything i build so i will have plenty!!!  

oh yeah, i had a little time to get started on cutting my exhaust apart.. because i am using the 3.4 litre the exhaust is on the wrong side..  i am going to cut it apart and switch the exhaust to go down the drivers side..  here are a few pics of me cutting the exhaust flanges off...

« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2009, 10:33:43 AM by fj-rankenstein »

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Jun 28, 2009, 08:12:24 AM »
Thanks a lot for being soo specific. I like even the little details. I'm glad you posted pics of the flange. My cat was cut out while I was in class. Now I have to fab my own flanges, like what your doing. Now that I have a wire feed why go to the muffler shop eh?

I just checked that link for the fan and it seems to be a "pusher". So, your mounting it in front if the rad instead of behind it? I read the description, it can be reversed to be a puller, sa-weet. Did you notice that the kit didn't come with a relay. What will you use for the relay?
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2009, 08:18:38 AM by hilux-1983 »

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Jun 28, 2009, 10:35:06 AM »
oops... i posted the wrong fan link.(i changed it to what i actually bought though..). i actually bought the 118 model fan which is a puller...  it will be between the rad and engine...

the fan controller has everything i will need to wire this up... :thumbs:

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Jun 29, 2009, 06:58:10 AM »
Nice job skinning that side  :thumbs:.  What are the rear windows from?
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Jun 29, 2009, 10:10:46 AM »
those rear windows look like ford ranger windows to me!
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Jun 29, 2009, 10:45:07 AM »
those rear windows look like ford ranger windows to me!

AHHH HAAAA !!! good eye.  yes indeed they are from a ford ranger.. they were the only window out there that had the same conture as the 1st gen toyota body and were more or less the right height and width to match the front door window..  i also got the vent window version so i can at least open them up..  

two complaints about this window though.. although its going to work awesome, Ford sure does build crappy stuff and cut every corner possible..  the hinges arent actually hinges on the ranger window.. they are a piece of spring metal that is rivited to the window side and then bolted to the window.. they will work but its just cheap is all...
 also, if you look close, Ford cant build a "square" window frame.. i lined the bottom of the window frame even with the body lines but the top front corner is actually half an inch higher than the top rear corner so it looks like i didnt put the window in square or something...  you cant tell with the window in place but it definitelly makes it tough to wled into position when there already inst much room for where it needs to go..

now that the one side is more or less all in place i got a good start on the other side last night.. after doing one, the other side is going super quick and should have body panels on it within a few days... i am going to have 4 days off starting on thursday so i am hoping to get the cab done..
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2009, 12:58:05 AM by fj-rankenstein »

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: Jul 03, 2009, 08:21:39 PM »
just some quick progress pics from this evening.....

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #289 on: Jul 03, 2009, 08:29:44 PM »
SWEET! as always!

butt way did you put the bed up so high?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: Jul 03, 2009, 08:43:49 PM »
SWEET! as always!
butt way did you put the bed up so high?

thankyou good sir....  its just mocked up there just to get it off my shop floor..   it will actually be dropped down another 4 inches..  there is actually going to be a few things happening with this bed.. i am going to go ahead with my removable bed side idea and i found some terrific weldable hinges that slide apart easily to be able to do this..  as well, i think i might put all 3 of my batteries undernieth the bed as well for better weight distribution as well..   i am still thinking of putting an onboard air tank and my muffler has to fit under that bed as well...    to gain access to this all i am making the bed a "tilt bed" kind of like a dump truck..  i already have the hydraulics and a small 8" cylinder... (although i have a similar air cylinder setup too that i might use just to save on weight, although at this point it really doesnt matter...  i have friends that make fun of me and call my truck "extend-a-ton"...    i tell them that all i used to do before/during i got into this project is build Landcruisers so i thought i should build it to be just as heavy..

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #291 on: Jul 03, 2009, 08:48:16 PM »
well I like it a bunch, I was thinking of making my bed dump years ago. was thinking of useing the P/S pump to power it.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: Jul 06, 2009, 12:56:53 AM »
thanks!!

today was a prettygood day...  i got to where i wanted to be this weekend as far as getting all the outside body skins welded in...   they are still only tacked but there is only a few hours of welding left..    all the time was in the fitting and refitting of all these panels.. i am quite happy with the results though..

i should have the final welding done by next weekend and then its on to the fuel tank mounting...

here are the pics...

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 37
  • Male Posts: 731
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Someday my truck will look like this
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: Jul 06, 2009, 02:40:37 PM »
Nice work!
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: Jul 11, 2009, 01:00:45 AM »
so i got a little more done today..   i have got the entire drivers side all welded up except for that small hole in the roof yet...  i only started smoothing all the tack welds down though so i have some work there tomorrow..

it was getting late in the garage so i decided to switch gears and start on the interior a little sinse it doesnt involve loud griders on metal at 11 at night..   i ended up getting the headliner roughed in from a 94 4runner and its going to work out pretty nice..   just with a headliner in there i can tell that there is quite a sound deadening factor which is good..  i also have been in contact with the line-x dealer here in town and will be probably taking it there to get the entire floor and 8 inches up the inner walls all line-x'ed...  
tomorrow i will have some time to get the rest of the drivers side panels done and start on the passengers side.. :thumbs:

here is a pic of the headliner mocked into place...

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: Jul 11, 2009, 08:49:27 AM »
 :clap:

LilChief87

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 917
  • Member since Jul '08
  • When in doubt Romp it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: Jul 11, 2009, 12:27:21 PM »
looking killer keep up the great work man  :thumbs:

GotMyYotaBack

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Apr '09
  • "I like Turtles" Google it
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: Jul 11, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »
 :thumbs:   Looks great, I didnt read the whole thing. What planned for extra space, a seat or storage?  :thumbs:
Trekker Build- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64943.0

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
So dont tell me I spelled it wrong! You knew what I ment.

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Jul 11, 2009, 05:04:45 PM »
good day in the garage so far today..  this is all i have time for though..   today i got my exhaust cut up and remade it to go down the drivers side of the truck instead of the passengers from stock...   i am quite happy with how it turned out and only had to use a small piece of new exhaust pipe to make it work..    i am going to paint it and then get some header wrap to cover the flex joint area..

benp is coming over tomorrow for a bit to help get some shock hoops on as well...  progress progress progress!!!!

here is a before and after pic of the exhaust mounted on my spare 3.4 litre..

82juguete

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Jul 11, 2009, 05:08:27 PM »
Shaping up nicely!!  I cant wait to see what you do with the bed.... and everything else!