Author Topic: project extend-a-toy  (Read 164328 times)

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
project extend-a-toy
« on: Jun 13, 2005, 11:29:39 PM »
well, last weekend i started working on my minitruck and not really knowing what direction I was going to go with it... Kyota's toyota longbox with the bobbed box was quite an inspiration to me and I was kind of leaning in that direction but in a matter of a few minutes on a saturday night I was cutting my spare cab in half and decided to do some thing different... my first toyota was an 81 minitruck that I totally restored about 10 years ago and ever sinse then I have been waiting for the right deal to come along....Actually, the landcruiser bug hit me pretty hard and now I am up to 6 of those darn things!!!!  Landcruisers aside, here are some progress pics of what i did this weekend....... and no I didnt forget aboot cutting out the back of the main cab.... I will do this once the extendacab is more or less complete in the back.....this is gonna be a long slow build because I am a road mechanic that is not home during the week much so have patience... I should be done this by october!!

the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 371
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since May '04
  • 3RZ-FE power is that much closer.
    • View Profile
Re: project extend-a-toy
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2005, 11:51:18 PM »
That's a cool idea. I would really like to see a picture of that FJ-45 that you had your cab in. Pleeeeaaaase.  :angel:
In Progress: 3RZ-FE Swap Underway.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2005, 11:56:41 PM »
That's a cool idea. I would really like to see a picture of that FJ-45 that you had your cab in. Pleeeeaaaase. :angel:

Check this out, go towards the middle http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=2249.msg95047#msg95047

Sweet build! Keep taking lots of pics!

PS Are you going to be using the tires in the 2nd pic or the last pic that you can see thru the ex-cab?
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2005, 12:00:51 AM by lilbuddy »
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2005, 12:03:35 AM »
That 45 is awesome, that's one of my dream builds.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2005, 12:21:47 AM »
thanks for all the positive feedback!!  this was my first and still favorite cruiser... here is a pic of the week that I bought it and one more teaser shot.....than its back to the minitruck!!!!

I hope I can get my minitruck to do this!!!!

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2005, 12:25:08 AM »
You're making the ultimate "parenting mobile." Keep the rear cab seperate so that they can't bug you. You thinking about putting seating back their or making it storage. Also, it looks like if you go bigger than 35" that you may have some tire rub on the rear cab. Interested to see how it comes out.

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2005, 12:27:24 AM »
Sweet build! Keep taking lots of pics!
PS Are you going to be using the tires in the 2nd pic or the last pic that you can see thru the ex-cab?

I think my build skills at this point in time are gonna limit me to getting those tires on this truck... dont think I havent thought about it though!!!

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2005, 12:30:30 AM »
I think my build skills at this point in time are gonna limit me to getting those tires on this truck... dont think I havent thought about it though!!!

:ha_ha: Nice. That would be pretty awesome. Kinda scary to run 65"+ tires on a yota with stock axles. Im sure you have thought about putting those on too. I sure know I would.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2005, 12:37:35 AM »
You're making the ultimate "parenting mobile." Keep the rear cab seperate so that they can't bug you. You thinking about putting seating back their or making it storage. Also, it looks like if you go bigger than 35" that you may have some tire rub on the rear cab. Interested to see how it comes out.

I have a couple of sets of jumper seats from my cruisers so Im making the rear passengers face each other.. I will have front seats that will slide ahead and then tilt ahead to allow people to access the back... i am also playing around with the idea of making the "3rd door option" as well on the drivers side....I am also grafting in vent windows for a ford ranger because they are the closeset windows in size to the toyota window....

as for the tires, i am going with 37s.... this seems to be the happy medium right now..I will be 4 linking the rear and the rear axle is going back another few inches. I am probably going with coils out of either a tj or something similar.....the plan is for a v6 out of a 93 4runner with tranny going to marlin dual ultimate(there are a million rolled 4runners with relitively low miles in the wrecking yards here for super cheap so this is the most cost effective option...probably will upgrade in a couple years when the 3.4s get cheaper eventually..).....the duel will happen at a much later date though.... so far I am only 350$ canadian  right now into this build so I am doing good....

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2005, 12:38:42 AM »

no worries. just be like WHITE TRASH and stretch the wb out to 127" i beleive
Im an OG

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 14, 2005, 12:41:29 AM »
$350 canadian?  Hell thats only $19.95 in american dollars....  :greengrin:  Nice build so far.  Ill be patiently waiting for the finished pics....  

127 1/2" actually :gap:  I didnt get hung up once last weekend either...  I was making stuf that the shorter wheelbases were not due to my clearance and length.  :clap2:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 14, 2005, 12:42:00 AM »
hey cool.. i found a pic of my first mini..... yes it is as clean as it looks... i spent like 3 or 4 years restoring it....

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2005, 12:43:11 AM »
That is a sweet looking build :thumbs: keep it up.  Oh yeah, nice mini, that thing is beautiful
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2005, 08:10:45 AM »
Good luck on that build! It will be sweet when your done. Mine only took me two years to finish! And that was so I could get it out of the garage and sell it because I needed the money and room for other projects!

Before:

Now:

Just for your reference if you haven't already seen the build: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141739

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2005, 11:48:24 AM »
This is a sweet build. I cant imaginw what its going to look like so I too will be waiting for the pics.  :yesnod:

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 14, 2005, 10:07:22 PM »
pretty clean man :thumbs:

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 21, 2005, 08:30:31 PM »
sweet rigs!
That's how I roll

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #17 on: Jun 22, 2005, 07:01:34 AM »
 :popcorn:

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 25, 2005, 08:04:39 PM »
Any new pics or updates?
That's how I roll

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 26, 2005, 10:03:36 PM »
absolutely nuthin' :sad2:

I have been on the road for the last week and havent had time to work on the poor thing....I did have time to do some research on building 4 link links and am now convinced on going with rubicon joints... they seem to be pretty slick.... anyone have any cheap lines on any???

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 03, 2005, 02:50:23 AM »
today I made the decision to say screw the 3rd door option.... all though I think it would be pretty cool I just dont want to deal with all the work... I will be more than happy with a extended cab minitruck...

I was also quite productive today as well and got back to work on the truck... I got tired of doing house things and figured I am slacking on the mini so I managed to graft one ford extended cab window section that I got from the wrecker... its even close to the same color!! it was actually pretty easy to do and the other side should go twice as quick tomorrow..its actually kind neat to see how the body lines are even close..

anyways, the first pic shows the piece that I cut out and had to trim up to get it to fit in the toyota cab....

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2005, 12:49:41 AM by fj-rankenstein »

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2005, 09:21:19 AM »
oooooooooo, big mini, i liki

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 04, 2005, 03:55:24 AM »
always so late!!! anyways, I got some more done this evening..err tonight, ummmm this morning... good thing I dont have to work today!!!

anyways, I managed to get the drivers side extended cab window section roughly cut out.... I did some more welding to the other side as well and planned out how I am going to join the floor together....
the big thing that I did was finally cut out the back of the original cab so both sections now share the same space..... is it ever going to be big inside... i cant wait to get interior into it so I can plan the back seating...so far in the back it looks like i will use the jump seats out of an fj40 but I am not too sure yet...here are the pics I got before my battery died

PAToyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jun '02
  • '85 RN60 Shortbed Standard Cab
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 05, 2005, 10:04:13 AM »
Looks good!  I've been thinking myself about extending my '85s cab beyond what an Xtra-cab would be.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #24 on: Jul 06, 2005, 09:30:49 AM »
Holy Grand Canyon, are you going to put seats back there or maybe a queen size bed. :talkingn:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 06, 2005, 09:48:30 AM »
you should put a sofa back there, its always been a dream of mine to wheel on a sofa :rofl2:

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #26 on: Jul 06, 2005, 12:22:37 PM »
why dont you just put some stock bucket seats back there?

Looks very interesting. Im sure you wont see many of those on the trail.

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 06, 2005, 10:44:44 PM »
you should put a sofa back there, its always been a dream of mine to wheel on a sofa :rofl2:

he he... I have done a little "wheelin" on a sofa before........

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 06, 2005, 11:21:38 PM »
me too bud, but its been a while

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 29, 2005, 06:42:13 PM »
well, its been waaaaaaaaay to long.....this thread definitellly fell back quite a ways..... anyways, the summer is pretty much all pissed away, and my house that I bought back in may has kept me quite busy over the last while but I finally have time again to get at my truck....   I guess in the mean time I built another cruiser and took that wheeling in october but now its time to get going on my mini again.... unfortunatelly, I have not had time to do anything with the body but I have been slowly collecting stuff stuff to start from the ground up...

I just picked up a 87 truck frame that is in 97% perfect shape which is wierd for around here....it still has most of the original black paint all over the frame...  today I picked up some 3rd gen rear springs and compiled the rest of what i got..... I should have enough to make a good flexy front suspension with 51 inch springs... i also picked up a lot of steel to make new body mounts and all that too.... my goal is to get it done by january some time.... we will see... pics will follow over the next couple of days here....
*EDIT* only 1 pic to post tonight..

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2005, 12:52:10 AM by fj-rankenstein »