Author Topic: Blackdiamond History  (Read 26379 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,053
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Blackdiamond History
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:58:06 AM »

Current list of Mods (Updated) include:
4.5" Superlift front springs
3.5" Alcan rear springs with 2" Marlin shackle & 1.5" 4crawler aluminum blocks
Marlin Rear U-bolt Flip Kit
4.88 Yukon ring & pinion
Detroit Locker rear
Aussie Locker front
Marlin 4.70:1 single case with twin stick
Marlin Heavy Duty Dual Skid Plate (notched for single application)
Super Heavy Duty Marlin Clutch (1600-lb)
33" BFG Mud KM on 8x10 Rockcrawler wheels
Bed shortened 13"
Rear Shackle Mounts extending from frame
Shaffer's Offroad Tube Doors
Rancho 9000 (5 position) shocks
Rubicon Express Hand Throttle (great mod for carb trucks)
Weber Carb.
CB Radio and detachable face tape deck (to discourage thieves that took the CD player)

MOAB OR BUST 2006 (March 18-25)
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:29:55 PM »
Update Photo:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

dov'd85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -470
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:07:11 PM »
with those D rings did you just notch your frame and weld them in the frame rail? sweet truck man really clean :thumbs: love the doors and yellow is a good color
85 long bed: 30 spline long, hydro assist, hysteer, 223.1 twin sticks, 39.5 iroks, rear disk,
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=28696.msg344178#msg344178

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:00:10 AM »
MOAB OR BUST 2006 (March 18-25) 

Can't wait!!!

We well diffinatly have to post lots of pictures

PA_taco_13

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 309
  • Member since Dec '05
  • PA Muddin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:16:56 AM »
 :clap2: nice rig, nice pics, all that with 33's and a locker good show
learn the hard way 

"my dixie wrecked"

east coast crawler

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:03:47 AM »
with those D rings did you just notch your frame and weld them in the frame rail? sweet truck man really clean :thumbs: love the doors and yellow is a good color

They are just welded to the outside of the frame rail and I cut holes in the body for them.

I am going to paint the plate portion that covers the hinges black and leave the tubes yellow, I think it will look better.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2006, 08:56:19 PM »
:clap2: nice rig, nice pics, all that with 33's and a locker good show

It is amazing what a Toy will do with little bitty 33 inch tires, every now and then I get to stack a rock when the tires go in under ledges and such.  I rarely touch the skid plate and my wife would have trouble getting in if it were any higher  :love:   

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Mar 05, 2006, 04:08:07 PM »
Time to update this thread with some pictures.  The tube door isn't really anything new, but I have not posted a picture of them on this thread.

The 2nd photo is from today local adventure with my brother-in-law.  He is new to wheeling and enjoyed  :yikes:  it when I lifted the rear tire.  I also back up a dirt wall that was nearly vertical until all four tires were spinning, he was impressed with that as well.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Mar 05, 2006, 11:40:18 PM »
bd it looks like we need to work on that flexabliity a little more.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:35:24 AM »
bd it looks like we need to work on that flexabliity a little more.

It really does flex a bit more than it looks, but stock length springs and push/pull steering do tend to limit things.  The last time I checked the flex I was able to push the rear tires into the frame and the fronts hit as well.  For more flex I would need more lift which I don't want right now.  You can evaluate it in a very short time.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Mar 20, 2006, 07:48:48 AM »
Moab Update:

gotrocks and I are in Moab.  Yesterday we headed over to Widow Maker Hill.  The main wall is about a foot taller than the last time I climbed it, but it was the snow/rain and sand stuck on the tires that kept us from climbing.  I got my front tires to the second ledge and that was the end of the road.  gotrocks finally put a strap on the tail end and helped me work the truck back to the left so that I could back down without body damage.  I think I sat on the crest of the hill for litereally several minutes trying to work my way up.

Today is Hells Revenge, hopefully the Hot Tubs are not full of water as expected.

:driving: 

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #41 on: Mar 20, 2006, 08:11:36 AM »
i need you to pm me your mailing address
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Mar 20, 2006, 09:39:07 AM »
you won't need to lift it more to get more flex.  You need to go wider and put the front a little foward and wider.  Down travel is more important than up travel

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #43 on: Mar 20, 2006, 11:37:34 AM »
you could use a longer spring in the rear without gaining much more lift,
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Mar 26, 2006, 07:01:43 PM »
Memoirs From Moab 2006 (gotrocks & blackdiamond)

I was successful for the 4th time in driving my rig about 2,700 miles for the complete round trip, including trails, without breakage during a full week in Moab running some of the nasty trails. 

Day 1 - Metal Masher
gotrocks found out 1st hand why Longfields are worth the money (broken Profield), our day was cut short but we still managed to attempt Widow Maker Hill in the rain/snow.  The main wall wasn't a problem (it was a bit taller than the last time I was there) but there simply wasn't enough traction in the wet weather with sand stuck on the tires for a successful climb.  gotrocks had to put a stap on my truck while I was still clawing at the hill to pull me back to the left to avoid body damage when I came back down.

Day 2 - Hells Revenge
gotrocks found out 1st hand, for a 2nd time, why Longfields are worth the money (broken Profield).  I climbed Dump Bump, we played in the Hot Tubs, did Tip Over Challenge and then provided some recovery support for a couple of local wheelers that had put a Scout on the drivers door.  It was an interesting place to roll, just dumb luck.  gotrocks found out 1st hand, for a 3rd time, why Longfields are worth the money (Broken stock Birfield).

Day 3 - Moab Rim
gotrocks worked on his truck and awaited the Longfields to arrive via overnight shipping.  A uneventful day on the trail and then headed to Delicate Arch in the afternoon.

Day 4 - Elephant Hill
Enjoyed a "family" run in Canyonlands and warmed up gotrocks new Longfields.

Day 5 - Pritchett Canyon & Behind The Rocks
A challenging day on the trails.  We both tackled all the obsticles with nothing more than a few tugs from a manned strap.  We did Rocker Knocker Hill, The new Rock Pile "bypass", White Knuckle Hill & High Dive.  During the Easter Jeep Safari each of these trails is given a full day and Pritchett has been given the new rating of 5, also, the 4+ Rating of Behind the Rocks is for going down both High Dive and White Knuckle Hill, we ran them unaided in the most difficult direction.  gotrocks didn't have any problems with his front axles.  Longfields are the best  :love:

Day 6 - Golden Spike
A long day on the trail.

Pictures and videos to come in the following days/weeks. 

A good time was had by all!

:biggthumpup:

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Mar 26, 2006, 08:51:12 PM »
Damn, 3 birfields in 2 days.  gotta love the Longfields.

S-10 Stewy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 127
  • Male Posts: 161
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Mar 27, 2006, 01:37:51 PM »
Dang man ... that is A LOT of time in the drivers seat!  I would love to wheel there sometime in the future, sounds like you guys had a serious fun time!
It's built Chevy tough with Toyota stuff!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Mar 27, 2006, 08:56:16 PM »
Here are some pictures.

The 1st one is, from left to right, gotrocks, gotrocksgirl, myself (blackdiamond) and my wife.

The 2nd one was taken during my nearly perfect climb of Dump Bump, I made it up 3 or 4 times, but this was the cleanest one.

The 3rd one is coming out of Mickey's Hot Tub, it took me three attempts to climb out, but once I found the line it was really easy.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Mar 27, 2006, 08:58:51 PM »
The 4th & 5th pictures are of me climbing White Knuckle Hill.  I made is cleanly on the 1st attempt.  Note: During the Easter Jeep Safari they decend the hill rather than climb it and still give Behind the Rocks a 4+ rating.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Mar 28, 2006, 08:31:40 AM »
yeah you forgot to mention though that I broke my r/p or locker (haven't taken it apart yet) on the Golden spike trail as well.  Kinda depressing when you break more in parts than the trip cost initially.  Thanks for the memories blackdiamond can't wait to go wheeling in the future.  oh and yeah Longfields are worth it.  Don't know exactly why i had to go to moab for the second time and figure that one out. 

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Mar 28, 2006, 12:01:56 PM »
yeah you forgot to mention though that I broke my r/p or locker (haven't taken it apart yet) on the Golden spike trail as well.  Kinda depressing when you break more in parts than the trip cost initially.  Thanks for the memories blackdiamond can't wait to go wheeling in the future.  oh and yeah Longfields are worth it.  Don't know exactly why i had to go to moab for the second time and figure that one out. 

I left that out on purpose because I didn't want it to sound like I was  :pokinit: about your truck, plus we don't exactly know what happened.  I suspect it was the LockRight.  Your rig was amazing considering how new the build was.

gotrocks may want a truggy to run the super nasty lines, but I continue to be satisfied with my little toy that climbs like you wouldn't believe and still goes down the highway well enough that my wife didn't mind the trip other than wanting a little more room in the cab.  I don't have the need to run the most difficult line all the time, but I understand why some people do.

My suspension doesn't flex extremely well, but it has a low center of gravity, is very stable at angles and doesn't hop/bounce much when climbing.  I really only tried one place that my break over angle stopped me, I have video of me pushing the front wheels into the air.

:greengrin:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Apr 02, 2006, 08:09:50 PM »
I have not posted any pictures before on the board of my "Big Brother" Tundra that is my wife's daily driver.  Today I was very productive, mowed the lawn, seeded the lawn, fertalized the lawn, washed both trucks and did a 3-step Mequires wax on the Tundra.

I tried the new Mequires NXT Generation Car Wash and it is excellent stuff.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Apr 02, 2006, 11:19:02 PM »
ahh the big broter.  so when are we going to supercharge it and get some 35's under it.  HAHA I know not every tow rig is as big as mine but hey I guess I just can't leave well enough alone.  I've really been thinking about lowering ours back down and just putting some 35's on it with about 3 inches of lift. 

Now if your tundra gray or does it have a little (should I say) purplish tint to it.  Or is it just camera

Oh and btw if I didn't tell you already it was my r/p.  I stripped 3 teath off it it.  I had lots of little metal pieces come out of the diff when I pulled it.  When I got thinking about it I'm not to upset that it broke on us down at moab.  I don't even know how old those gears where and so now I know when this one goes how new it is.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Apr 03, 2006, 07:03:44 AM »
Now if your tundra gray or does it have a little (should I say) purplish tint to it.  Or is it just camera

Oh and btw if I didn't tell you already it was my r/p.  I stripped 3 teath off it it.  I had lots of little metal pieces come out of the diff when I pulled it.  When I got thinking about it I'm not to upset that it broke on us down at moab.  I don't even know how old those gears where and so now I know when this one goes how new it is.

The Tundra is going to stay stock, maybe a spray in bed liner in the future.  It is factory Silver so any purplish is either the ambient lighting or the camera.

I'm thinking that the three broken birfields may have added to the R&P failure.  Three shock loads.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Apr 04, 2006, 01:37:58 PM »
I'm thinking that the three broken birfields may have added to the R&P failure.  Three shock loads.

that probably helped it along no doubt

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jul 30, 2017, 07:55:47 PM »
Here are some pictures.

The 1st one is, from left to right, gotrocks, gotrocksgirl, myself (blackdiamond) and my wife.

The 2nd one was taken during my nearly perfect climb of Dump Bump, I made it up 3 or 4 times, but this was the cleanest one.

The 3rd one is coming out of Mickey's Hot Tub, it took me three attempts to climb out, but once I found the line it was really easy.

I was taking a trip down memory lane reading this old thread and it appears that I have driven out of Mickey's Hot Tub before.  It's been so long that I had forgotten...

Driving CrankyCrawler's 84 on this years Moab trip was as close as I'll get to my old 85 that climbed like a mountain goat.