Author Topic: I dont know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!Samurai or 83 toy  (Read 4930 times)

Jared

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Rolled baby.... IN front of my house....
    • View Profile
I dont know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!Samurai or 83 toy
« on: May 16, 2005, 10:24:53 AM »
Okay guys i  am stuck in a bind right now... I have no idea what i should do..   Right now i currently own a 83 shortbed that i got from newkid...  it has no motor but it has enough parts to get it ready for the rubicon... i got spring packs already made, rear springs... lincoln locker, tires yada yada yada... i dont have a dual tcase adapter though...   I also have a samurai that is lifted already but needs steering, toy axle conversion, clutch and power steering... i have no idea what i want to do though.....The samurai needs some work but when im done with it and it has toyota running gear it will be bulletproof... but i have the 83 and its got everything it needs except high steer and a dual tcase... Help me decide... i really want to build the yota but i really want to build the samurai also.... i dont know what the hell to do...... what do i do????
ah the beauty of a cuttin torch

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Well if you have the itch to do some wheeling soon than the yota is you quickest fix. You can always tear it down at the end of the season and finish the sammy  :_order:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I don't see the advantage to building the Samari, the Toy will be bullitproof with a lot less work.  The width with be similar since you are planning to use Toy axles; however, the wheelbase on the toy will likely be longer (i.e better).  Climbing is very difficult in short wheelbase rigs, I guess the flip side is potentially more excitement.

Consider this, you make a trip to Mecca...um Moab...and you roll up to Dump Bump with the crowd gathering.  I would rather be in the longer wheelbase Toy so I could go right up.  My truck is an extended cab long bed (wheelbase around 111 in) and it climbs much better than my friends Blazer (about 106 in).  Wheelbase isn't the only difference between the trucks, but within reason longer is better.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Jared, do you have a trailer you can use to tow the Sami behind your 83? If so then I think it would be cool to have a trail only sami-buggy with all Toyota drivetrain...

But if I had to choose to build a Yota for Rock Crawler or a Samurai for Rock Crawling, and still use it as my daily driver, then I would choose the Yota hands down! The Sami has no room and I bet it would be less stable on the freeway, well atleast for how I drive..

:twocents:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Build the yota, and give me the sami :hahaha:

either way, let me know, and I'll come down and give you a hand :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Jared [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
ill sell the sami if i have to....

TEXXX

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 814
  • Male Posts: 423
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling in Cool, CA
    • View Profile
build em both!!!!!!!!!!
RIP Gatekeeper you will be missed!

Jared [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
So i just sold the 83 to a friend of mine.. she baught me a welder for now wich is worth about 700 bucks... the deal is that i ahve to have it running and smog legal within two months... the hard part is gettin the motor for it.. cant really find a motor right now so im gonna build it and get it ready and :pokinit:... when i finish it she will give me 1000 bucks....

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
build em both!!!!!!!!!!

Build em both.....
Build em both.....
Build em both.....
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I've gone down the Sami road, I don't like them too small. There were things that I would not do in my Sami that I always did in my Yota's.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

longzuk

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 120
  • Male Posts: 53
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Had Zuk.... :(
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I would build the sami, by runnin the toy drive train. cut the cab stretch the chasis and make a pick up bed on the back. you could stil use it as a dd.

but then again i am a little biased :thumbs:
Live by it, Die from it   :)

TEXXX

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 814
  • Male Posts: 423
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling in Cool, CA
    • View Profile
I would build the sami, by runnin the toy drive train. cut the cab stretch the chasis and make a pick up bed on the back. you could stil use it as a dd.

but then again i am a little biased :thumbs:
interesting idea.... i kind of like it!
RIP Gatekeeper you will be missed!