Author Topic: Can Someyone give me height measurement of Marlin 4" rear 56 springs? PLEASE  (Read 4399 times)

toy4crawlin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 291
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
I am in desperate need of some 56" rear springs to level my 85 4runner with front 5" Alcans

I'm hoping  4" lift rear springs with 2" lift shackles will level out :confused:  But until I get someyone actuall measurements I don't feel comfortable buying.
 If you have a 84-88 4runner loaded with with your typical go camping wheeling gear and have Marlins 4" lift 56" long springs Could you Please measure the Arch Height LOADED,  use a rod from eye bolt to Eye bolt and measure from rod to the bottom leave.

This way I will know what height i will gain if I buy Marlin springs.

I called them, but could only be given the UNLOADED Arch height, of 12" 1/4

I'd like to support him apposed to the others out there.

If somebody would be willing to measure I would really appreciate it :biggthumpup:  :beer:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 04:07:45 PM by toy4crawlin »
4Sale stuff,  350 trannies, Dual shackles,  J steering arms etc. Auto meter gauge pods.
85 4Runner,Marlin #276, 4.7 case, Detroit 488's, 36 Beadlocks
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Hi there, I will measure my marlin springs for you tonight when I get home from work. They have yet to be installed so they have yet to be compressed. Just got them in today.

Luke
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

toy4crawlin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
Hi there, I will measure my marlin springs for you tonight when I get home from work. They have yet to be installed so they have yet to be compressed. Just got them in today.

Luke

Hey Thanks Luke  :beer:

4Sale stuff,  350 trannies, Dual shackles,  J steering arms etc. Auto meter gauge pods.
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

derek

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 600
  • Member since May '02
  • slow truck=more time to nap
    • View Profile

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
I measured the arch of the springs, pretty much used a string from eye to eye, and measures from the bottom of the leaf pack to the string. It came out to be 1ft 1"

I have the feeling with these springs and slightly loger shackles you will not have any sagging rear end issues. Keep in mind these measurements are on a brand new unloaded spring thats never seen the weight of the truck. According to the site they will sag approx 1" over time, which is standard for most springs.
It is also 56" long. 

Luke

toy4crawlin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
I measured the arch of the springs, pretty much used a string from eye to eye, and measures from the bottom of the leaf pack to the string. It came out to be 1ft 1"

I have the feeling with these springs and slightly loger shackles you will not have any sagging rear end issues. Keep in mind these measurements are on a brand new unloaded spring thats never seen the weight of the truck. According to the site they will sag approx 1" over time, which is standard for most springs.
It is also 56" long. 

Luke

WOW !!12.5"   yea that is what Dean at Marlins measured UNLOADED,  He did NOT tell me the sagg " " though 

Wow  That sounds High,   When are you hoping to put them in?  I'm interested in seeing the real arch height with some load weight in the rear.

I'm willing to paypal ya $5. if you let me know

Thanks for your time

Ri
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
You dont have to Paypal me anything, thats what this forum is for, free hopefully useful info.  Unfourtunately I will not be installing my springs for another week. And my truck weighs quite a bit less than your runner, however when I do I will post up some measurements and pics for you asap. A lot of people whine about how high the springs are however they never give them a change to settle at all. In fact Old Man Emu sometimes recommends the installer to drive around with about 300 lbs in the bed of the truck to assist in the spring break in.

Keep in mind you can always remove a leaf from the pack, effectively lowering the lift maybe 1" or so. Same goes for the front SAS spring packs. Its all trial and error, best thing to do is Buy em, install em, and tweak them to your liking from there.

toy4crawlin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
 Hey thanks there Luke  :biggthumpup:

Yea I hear ya, , trial an tweak,

I have a set uf T-100 rears (56") long maybe in the mean time I'll do a hybrid pack and a block to get me by  :headscratch:

92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
That can work, Im not a big fan of blocks, but if kept to a minimal they aerent to bad. You might have a slight increase in axle wrap if the springs are soft enough in the first place. On my old truck I just made up some 7" shackels since I didnt have the coin for rear springs at the time. Gave me about 3" of lift and helps corrent the pinion angle a bit. Your front end is definately up there!

I was just curious about how high your body lift is. It might be of some benifit to remove it if you think the springs are too much lift.

toy4crawlin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
 YEA I really dont want to use blocks,  but my 4x money is all used up and I'm not sure if I will have a job past June.
 So I gota ease on spending. hopefully I will sell my 82 4x dual case toy soon.

thought of longer shackles too, that would help

I just put in the body lift, 1"  because I will be running 36's and some day hope to put in a 4.3 V6
My front has 2" lift shackles 7.5" eye to eye,  So I'm swaping in 5" eye-eye shackles, that will lower the front end a bit.

can't wait to work on it this weekend.
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Sounds good! I cant say Im excited to start my SAS but im kinda anxious to get it over with. Are you in Santa Cruz? I have family there, im Originally from Carmel

toy4crawlin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
Sounds good! I cant say Im excited to start my SAS but im kinda anxious to get it over with. Are you in Santa Cruz? I have family there, im Originally from Carmel

so where are you ?

Yep that's a lota work,

I'm live in Cupertino, grew up in San mateo, trucks and garage there too
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

90slvpup

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 135
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have a 90 Extra cab pickup with the marlin 4 in springs in back. i could measure it up for you tomorrow, also since the pickup is lighter let me know if you want me to put any weight in it and how much if so. i love the springs though, the first thing i would do to them though is bend the front spring retainer clip up the leaves open up and this will guide them to give you up to 2 in more flex!!

Let me know,
mason

toy4crawlin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
 Yea  if you could, add some weight,  like two or three spare tires,  .  200lbs should make up a trips worth of gear, spare tire in back, tools, fluids, camping gear, Cooler

Thanks  :beerchug:  :biggthumpup:
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

90slvpup

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Got it all measured up last night, i had 250 +lbs in it and they went down to 10 in. that was with a string tied to each bolt held tight and measured from the bottom of the spring pack, hope that helps out.
good luck
mason

toy4crawlin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
Got it all measured up last night, i had 250 +lbs in it and they went down to 10 in. that was with a string tied to each bolt held tight and measured from the bottom of the spring pack, hope that helps out.
good luck
mason

Sweet  Thanks Mason, your 8)  :biggthumpup:

Did you drive it around a bit How'd you like em?

Can't wait to measure up mine this weekend,   guessing they will wear in and sag at 9"

THANK YOU   :beer:  THANK YOU   :beerchug:  THANK YOU    :biggthumpup: THANK YOU   THANK YOU   :bowdown:
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

90slvpup

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
They rock on the trails!! they are on my DD and i get a little axle wrap but not bad considering how well they do on the trail.  Give me till the middle of net week and i will give you a measurement with full sag since i have been driving on them for a while now but i think you would be pleased with them.

toy4crawlin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile

I measured my 4rnr up ,  Put the rear frame on stands to level even with the front
Then let the rear axle sag so tires touch the ground
 The arch height I need is at least 8"  but they are using 2" lift shackles (7.5) eye-eye

So it looks like marlins 4" rears (arch load Height of 10") are too much  Unless maybe I use stock rear shackles ? :-\:confused:
  then if they do sag or wear in I could add shackls back in  :confused:

How do you guys figure it out ?
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
You figure it out by getting some springs and installing them!!!  I really think you are over thinking this spring issue.  Here is a pic of the 4" marlin springs on my 94, no real weight in the back, and the truck has not been driven yet.  I will tell you they are VERY SOFT, and they are supposed to settle in about an inch or so.

toy4crawlin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
sorry 4LOW
 I'm just stressing out, with work , we don't know what will happen next or to have a job in a month not to mention the repair costs of my rig

My marlin springs are on they way. Thank you for you information and Time :beer:  :thumbs:

92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Glad you got it worked out!  Some mods can really rack your brain!  Right now im figuring out pinion angle stuff,  yay!  Good luck with the Job