Author Topic: Tire opinions Needed  (Read 7838 times)

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Tire opinions Needed
« on: May 06, 2005, 01:04:38 PM »
Well it looks like Goodyear has the MT/R's backordered for six weeks.  So Im left searching for an alternative. Unfourtunately the only other tires that seem to match its performance are big time $$$ 

So Im considering a set of Toyo Open County M/T's 35 13.50 R15

Or a set of Parnalli Jones Dirt Grip 35 12.50 R15   

Anybody running these tires??  The Toyos looks awesome to me, they seem to be running around $ 220 a tire.

Feel free to chime in with any othe tire suggestions. Im going to be driving these primarily in snow and mud etc.... since Im moving to AK

But I still want a decent riding radial, as aooposed to a bias ply tire.

Thanks in advance
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Tire opinions Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 01:08:51 PM »
BFG MTs :dunno: ??
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 06:02:51 PM »

The Toyos looks awesome to me, they seem to be running around $ 220 a tire.

I don't like the price of the Toyos.  Do they work $60 a tire better than BFG's?  I doubt it.  Same goes for Pirellis.

But I'm biased since I've had good luck with the 5 sets of BFG's I've owned.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 371
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since May '04
  • 3RZ-FE power is that much closer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 06:05:24 PM »
Being from Alaska if you want a good tire for the snow and the summer, I would go with BFG M/T. They do well in the snow and last for a long time on pavement. If this is just going to be a minimal highway use rig, go with TSL's cause they rip the snow up.
In Progress: 3RZ-FE Swap Underway.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 06:42:21 PM »
For my truck if it doesnt say Interco on the sidewall I wont buy it.  BUT Ive wheeled with guys with about every brand of tire out there and the toyo's did better than the mtr's in the mountains.  Mixed mud and rock.  The joops were as close to identicle set up as you could get and it was obvious that the toyo' ruled.  BFG's well I have a serious hatred for them lemme just say that.  They wear decent on the road, thats where they should stay. :greengrin:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 07:36:46 PM »
I have head great things about BFG's, but I have also heard not so great things. I suppose it differs from each application. I do really like the interco lineup, to be honest I dont see myself doing too much highway travel up there. Lots of poeple seem to whine about how long swappers last but I notice these are the guys with big blocks, diesels etc....
The IROK's look bada$$ to me, and i hear that Interco's tires actually measure what they say they do. Unlike other tire makers, My goodyears are not a true 33" tire    :headshake:

Whats the major disadvantage of running a Bias ply tire vs a radial? I have read that bias ply can be tougher, but not as on road friendly since they do not have the belted reinforcement, and they are very sensitive to tire pressure.

The Toyos are a bit more coin than the MT/r's however Im looking to buy soon and the MT/R's are backordered from goodyear for a good 4 weeks, I have called around and NOBODY has them in stock.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 08:06:09 PM by guywithuglyyota »

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 08:38:51 PM »
Well, whatever you decide, make sure you buy your tires BEFORE you get to Alaska. If you don't, you can expect to pay $30 more per tire.

With the BFG M/T I have had great performance with them for being so cheap (I got them used with practically no miles) and they really do well in the snow. If I had my choice, I would have run the TSL's but money constraints wouldn't permit me to.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 08:47:49 PM »
thanks ripper,  You read my mind about the cost of tires up there, cost of anything really is a bit more. I was looking at the tsl's, they all seem to be great off road tires.

Im leaning towards the Toyos since they are a great all around tire, and this is my daily driver. Local store quoted around 1200 for a set of five mounted and balanced out the door.  The only difference is Toyos only offer a 13.50 treadwidth for the 35's on a 15" rim. I dont think there should be any clearance issues

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 08:50:48 PM »
Sounds good. 13.5" Shouldn't give you too big of a print.

Also, why and where are you headed to?

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 09:09:56 PM »
Headed to Elmendorf. Im Air Force so they said I had to go. Not that im complaining! I actually put in for orders to that base since I have heard nothing but great things about AK.
By the way, I could have sworn I had 8 inch wide rims, however when i measure lip tp lip, its pretty much measuring out to 10 inch. The box they came in (rock crushers from 4 wheel parts) says 8" wide.      :headscratch:    am I measuring this incorrectly?  The tires are still mounted so i will have to wait to have them dismounted to measure again. Becasue if thats the case the 13.50 Toyos will have quite the sidewall bulge right??  My Mtr's look fine to me, a little bulge but nothing crazy.

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 09:14:34 PM »
Elmendorf is cool, there's lots of trails actaully on the base that you'll have access to that others won't. I don't think Uncle Sam likes you driving around back there but he doesn't have to know. Also, you'll be really close to some other great trails near the valley. Stay away from Jim Creek though cause that's where everyone goes. There's tons of silt that will eat through every piece of your truck if you don't clean it. Also, idiots like to blow stuff up out there when you're not looking.

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 09:20:12 PM »
Thats good advice! I will keep that in mind when wheeling, never thought i would have to worry about explosives    ???   eiether way i will have fun. Im leaving beginning of June, just in time for summer. Are you in AK?

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 09:22:36 PM »
I've lived in Achorage my whole life and actually just left in March. Currently I am in Laramie, Wyoming attending WyoTech. Actually, I'm in computer class right now bored off my ass.

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 09:29:47 PM »
I hear ya...im an f-15 mechanic, and well....the Air Force stopped flying f-15's at my base. So lots of chair time here. But that will all change once I get up north. Keep in touch, maybe we can go wheelin sometime.

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 02:02:39 AM »
Any idea how long you'll be stationed in Alaska? I can't even imagine working on something so expensive. That must be a great feeling knowing that you just working on something flying above you.

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 02:18:19 AM »
The Toyos are a bit more coin than the MT/r's however Im looking to buy soon and the MT/R's are backordered from goodyear for a good 4 weeks, I have called around and NOBODY has them in stock.

Wal-mart carrys MTR's. at least the one up here does you might want to check it out. i know the one up here has a couple seta of 37's for like $900.

but,

i would go with the toyos. they are great tires, i love mine and wouldnt put any thing else on it as long as its a daily driver. ive never personnally ran MTR's but ive had a couple sets of bfgs and the toyos are way better. im running the 35x13.50x15 and like i said there awesome and they havent let me down one bit. also i dont know if your interested in going any bigger but from 4 wheel parts the 37x14.50x15 are actually $20 cheaper per tire

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/products/productLine.asp?cat=TIR&prodline=3665&catName=Tires&man=TOY
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 11:51:58 AM »
Well I would love to go 37's but Im not sure my little truck can move those things with the 22re and 4.88 gears.  According to Toyo the 37's weigh in at 95 lbs per tire!
Im installing marlins 5" springs front and rear next week, but I would immagine I would need to do some fender trimming on my 94.

Those prices are crazy from 4 wheel parts!  I can get them locally for 225 per tire, and i think 250 for 37's.

Is your truck  DD with the 37's??

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 02:02:41 PM »
Well it looks like Goodyear has the MT/R's backordered for six weeks.  So Im left searching for an alternative. Unfourtunately the only other tires that seem to match its performance are big time $$$ 

So Im considering a set of Toyo Open County M/T's 35 13.50 R15

Or a set of Parnalli Jones Dirt Grip 35 12.50 R15   

Anybody running these tires??  The Toyos looks awesome to me, they seem to be running around $ 220 a tire.

Feel free to chime in with any othe tire suggestions. Im going to be driving these primarily in snow and mud etc.... since Im moving to AK

But I still want a decent riding radial, as aooposed to a bias ply tire.

Thanks in advance

If you like the look of the toyos, you might consider the coopers or hercules.  They share a nearly identical tread pattern, are cheap, wear well and have a good warranty.  I've run two sets now and have been very happy, but that was the previous style too.  My  :twocents:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 03:06:23 PM »
Hi Nate, i appreciate the info on the STT's according to the website they do not offer 35's on a 15 inch rim   :(   Seems like 35's and 37's are on the 17 inch rim

98runner chevota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 361
  • Member since Dec '02
  • PoP pOp Fizz fIZZ oh it must be a BIRF. It is!!
    • View Profile
    • PortlandBusinessGraphics.com
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 03:14:14 PM »
Pro comp has the xterrain and the mud that both work well.

Mark
1998 4runner with 4.3 liter Chevy vortex/ turbo 400/ 205 tcase/ hi pinion 44 up front with 4.88 arbs front and rear/ rear is a turbo with 4.88s/ 63" Chevy's in rear with 5 in Chevy's in front/

dirtbag

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 841
  • Male Posts: 1,303
  • Member since Jun '04
  • flexes like dried doo-doo
    • View Profile
    • I am hot, huh?
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2005, 03:26:17 PM »
By the way, I could have sworn I had 8 inch wide rims, however when i measure lip tp lip, its pretty much measuring out to 10 inch. The box they came in (rock crushers from 4 wheel parts) says 8" wide.      :headscratch:    am I measuring this incorrectly?  The tires are still mounted so i will have to wait to have them dismounted to measure again. Becasue if thats the case the 13.50 Toyos will have quite the sidewall bulge right??  My Mtr's look fine to me, a little bulge but nothing crazy.
you are measuring wrong, don't measure the outer lip, it'll come out closer to 8" than 10". I made the same mistake once, so just FYI.

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2005, 04:02:33 PM »
hey guywithuglytoyota, whats your afsc? I am a electrician on kc-10's here at Travis in CA. I really enjoy this stuff. My supervisor used to work F-15s. Everyone I talk to who has worked those things say they are the most amazing thing ever. Have you had a ride in one?
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2005, 06:10:51 PM »
Hey Dirt bag, is that a body in the back of your truck????   

Hi Rocks Hurt, 2a3x3a, Im a crew dawg!  Glad to see a fellow Airman on the board. My stepdad was a Chief up at Travis for many many years. Im grew up in Vacaville/ Dixon and Sacramento Area.  Yes the F-15 is an awesome machine! It is not the easiest Jet to crew sometimes but it gets the job done for sure. Yes I got to ride In An E model when I was stationed in Lakanheath back in 200-2002. That  was the most amazing thing ever, nothing will top that experience. I re-enlisted a few months back, im having too much fun. People gripe about the service, but you will notice that civilians gripe about the same thing, low pay, crapppy boss from time to time, long hours etc... But you meet the coolest people and travel the world and get paid to do it!

:usa:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2005, 06:30:07 PM »
That's strange about the stt.  I coulda sworn I read an article not too long ago that said they now had a 35" for 15" wheel.  I'll hafta try and dig em up cause that's the direction I was hopin to go in later on.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2005, 08:08:43 PM »
I thought so too Nate, Im gonna do some more searching. I think the STT is fairly new to the market, atleast I remember seeing magazine ad saying its "coming soon"

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2005, 11:48:21 PM »
Well I would love to go 37's but Im not sure my little truck can move those things with the 22re and 4.88 gears. According to Toyo the 37's weigh in at 95 lbs per tire!
Im installing marlins 5" springs front and rear next week, but I would immagine I would need to do some fender trimming on my 94.

Those prices are crazy from 4 wheel parts! I can get them locally for 225 per tire, and i think 250 for 37's.

Is your truck DD with the 37's??

Mine only has 35's. i couldnt afford gearing so i wouldnt have been able to push 37's. i paid $900 mounted and balanced from les schwab and that was with a 10% discount since my brother worked there. i really want the 37's now and wish i would have gotten them. if my brother could get any money saved up and quit blowing it all he might buy the 37's and trade me to put the 35's on his suzuki. they wear really good too. ive had mine about six months and they still look new and i drive a lot.  probally put about 6000+ miles on them
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

guywithuglyyota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2005, 01:12:54 AM »
Thats a great deal, amazing what 10% will do. I will be ordering probably monday from americas tire co, they have crazy prices sometimes but they have excellent customer service and will price match any one, even internet, and ebay. Thanks for the vv :twocents:

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2005, 01:41:22 AM »
match any one huh....... tell them ill sell you mine for $20 and see if they match it :rofl2: you'll love the tires. they ride so nice on the road and off