Author Topic: Difference Between LT tire and Passenger Car tire on same Model Tire.  (Read 3818 times)

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
This is for my friend's Tacoma.  I would like to know what is the difference because we can't get an answer from the tires shops or from Bridgestone other than the usual marketing mumbo jumbo.

Looking at size 265-75-16, Bridgestone Revo AT come in both a Pmetric and LT version. We can get the set of Pmetric mounted for about $450 in that size.  The LT tire would cost $570 and at that price there are better tires out there.

The tires are obviously different. LT has 1/16 more tread depth and .3" more tread width but cost $30 more per tire and a Load Range C 2470 @ 50psi

The P metric rated "standard load" has a rating 2601 lbs @44 psi. Which is strange because you would think a Light Truck tire would hold more weight than a Passenger Car tire? Right? I don't know?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Dueler+A%2FT+Revo Specs from www.tirerack.com

So is there a difference in construction?
The way the test and rate the tires?
Is 1/16 of tread worth $120 more for a set of tires?
I don't know.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
yes there is a difference,   it depends on how the tire reacts to the heat from a load  and the speed rating,    if he hauls  firewood or stuff in the tacoma   get the LT tires  but i wouldnt  by 'those' tires,    the passenger car tires may have a"higher capacity"   but would get hotter if actually loaded to that capacity,     this is why ford explorers had the tire problems   
my little S10  has car tires on it and ran goodand smooth till i went 50 miles south and hauled some firewood home,   now both rear tires have large knots,

basicall if you have a lowered truck and your going to be driving it like nascar get the Pmetric tires   if you want to use it as a "pickup"   get tires for a "light truck"
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Huhwhye [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
Thanks, that makes sense.

I have always run LT tires on all my rigs but since his Taco has 16" rims he has a choice.  I've been telling him he needs to get some real tires becase I'm tired of fixing flats on his truck or letting him borrow a spare.  But he's cheap when it comes to the important stuff and spends too much on stupid stuff

He just paid $5000 cash for a dirt bike this month but he wont spend an extra $100 to get better tires.

My 2wd Ranger came with car tires new.  I got a flat at 8000 miles then bought a set of BFG ATs and never looked back.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

Huhwhye [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
Well despite my best efforts to convince him otherwise he went ahead and bought the Pmetric tires.   cheap b*std.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
:dunno: you get what ya pay for
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way