Author Topic: 1989 Runner  (Read 2915 times)

1Bad4Runner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 609
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
1989 Runner
« on: Apr 20, 2005, 06:29:58 AM »
I just bought a 1989 Toyota 4Runner and it has been sitting for a few months. The idle is kind of funny, right now it is idling at 500-600 rpm... What is a normal idling rpm?

also the idle is very up-and-down, When I have it is first gear while idling it feels like it wants to stall, but it is just the rough idle.

Oh, by the way, this is a 3.0L Fuel Injected! :smack:
89' 4Runner || Everythings Gone!! for now.
97' 4Runner, 2.7, Auto - Daily Driver

Pickup_foxrider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Feb '05
  • PROJECT TOY UNDER WAY!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 1989 Runner
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2005, 01:30:46 PM »
Mine idles about the same. Mine whole truck shakes but that is from a bad engine mount. I need to replace. Hope that this helps.
89 Toyota 4Runner (stock)

91 Toyota Pickup
4" Susp Lift
3" Body Lift
35" MTR
DVD
10" Sub
More to come!!

I wheel with anything or anybody!!!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2005, 01:33:59 PM »
I just bought a 1989 Toyota 4Runner and it has been sitting for a few months. The idle is kind of funny, right now it is idling at 500-600 rpm... What is a normal idling rpm?

also the idle is very up-and-down, When I have it is first gear while idling it feels like it wants to stall, but it is just the rough idle.

Oh, by the way, this is a 3.0L Fuel Injected! :smack:

My 3.0 does that too, but after I changed the fuel filter it ran smoother.  before I did my engine swap, my truck idled at around 900 rpm.  I need to bump it back up on the new(er) motor, and see how it works there.  You said it had sat for a for months?  The engine I put in my truck was from an 884runner that was parted out, and the motor sat for a while.  It seems as if these 3.0s dont hold their running qwuality for very long when left unused :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

1Bad4Runner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2005, 02:00:12 PM »
Mine idles about the same. Mine whole truck shakes but that is from a bad engine mount. I need to replace. Hope that this helps.

I don't think its the motor mount.

My 3.0 does that too, but after I changed the fuel filter it ran smoother. before I did my engine swap, my truck idled at around 900 rpm. I need to bump it back up on the new(er) motor, and see how it works there. You said it had sat for a for months? The engine I put in my truck was from an 884runner that was parted out, and the motor sat for a while. It seems as if these 3.0s dont hold their running qwuality for very long when left unused :dunno:

Maybe I should check my fuel filter and see if it is dirty, also my throttle is sticking when I leave it sit for around an hour. I put oil on it but it doesn't help any.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2005, 02:04:33 PM »
Maybe I should check my fuel filter and see if it is dirty, also my throttle is sticking when I leave it sit for around an hour. I put oil on it but it doesn't help any.

Ok, that is funny.  My throttle was sticking as well.  One good stomp and it came unstuck, but as soon as my engine cooled down, it stuck again.  Once I changed my fuel filter, it went away.  Try that, its an easy fix, and if its the same fiulter that has been sitting for a few months, it prolly needs it anyway.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

1Bad4Runner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2005, 04:38:05 PM »
Hah, this is great... I'm glad that you had all these problems (sort of) because this is helping me alot  :thumbs:

Thanks a lot BLACKDOG  :beerchug:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2005, 12:08:17 PM »
:beerchug: no problem, hows it coming?

-Ronald Reagan

1Bad4Runner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2005, 01:52:16 PM »
Bought a pump, couldn't get it in because one of the fittings wouldn't come off, so I have to try later again.

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2005, 03:39:22 PM »
I'm fixing this Chevy for a guy right now that does the same thing.  This is what I have done

Change or check the PCV and all vacuum hoses.

Cleaning the throttle body.  Use T-body cleaner or some Brake Cleaner if you already have it. Spray it into the TB to clean all the crap out.  There will be black and brown crud all over it if it's never been cleaned.  Then change the fuel filter and maybe run a bottle or 2 of Techron thru it.

Also check and make sure the cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires are in good shape.  They weren't

I also am running an AutoRX clean cycle with fresh oil and filter.  I also changed the air filter.

After I did all that, this Chevy with 160k miles on runs like new.  He hasn't picked the truck up yet, but I'm sure he'll be pleased.  I ran terrible before
'04 Taco DC 4x4

1Bad4Runner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2005, 05:42:32 PM »
I'm fixing this Chevy for a guy right now that does the same thing. This is what I have done

Change or check the PCV and all vacuum hoses.

Cleaning the throttle body. Use T-body cleaner or some Brake Cleaner if you already have it. Spray it into the TB to clean all the crap out. There will be black and brown crud all over it if it's never been cleaned. Then change the fuel filter and maybe run a bottle or 2 of Techron thru it.

Also check and make sure the cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires are in good shape. They weren't

I also am running an AutoRX clean cycle with fresh oil and filter. I also changed the air filter.

After I did all that, this Chevy with 160k miles on runs like new. He hasn't picked the truck up yet, but I'm sure he'll be pleased. I ran terrible before

Thanks a lot Huhwhye, I will check all the vaccum hoses and check my air filter to see if it is dirty.

1Bad4Runner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2005, 12:06:01 PM »
I just replaced all of the vaccum hoses, except 2.. also I took the throttle body and the intake manifold off today and clean it all up. There was quite a layer of black crap all throughout the throttle body and intake, so I clean all of that out with carb cleaner.

It runs a lot better, the throttle doesn't stick anymore, but the idle is still up and down a lot... any ideas?  :help: