Author Topic: 1980 Pickup BRM TDI Swap "Gramps"  (Read 655 times)

Ku_Guy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 20
  • Member since Mar '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
1980 Pickup BRM TDI Swap "Gramps"
« on: Apr 14, 2024, 11:37:31 PM »
Hi all! Been lurking for a while but decided to make do a write up to potentially help someone else and get some help myself. The project is a 1980 Shortbed SR5 that has already been converted to 4WD and 22R swapped by the previous owner(s) that we loving refer to as "Gramps". The donor vehicle is a 2006 VW Jetta with the 1.9L BRM TDI. It has 117,000 miles and was only run on bio diesel its whole life. Iv decided on some parts and purchased a lot of the big ones already. Ill list what I currently have after this one. I want to turn this worn out, barely reaches 45mph, 40 year old truck into my daily again. I want the fuel mileage and power increase as well as a good project to learn some new skills. Cool diesel noises are also a plus. :) I hope you guys can follow me along and lend some advice when needed. Iv done a ton of research but I dont know much of anything about these VWs so that research will only take me so far. I hope enjoy!
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2024, 12:37:41 AM by Ku_Guy »

Ku_Guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 1980 Pickup BRM TDI Swap
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2024, 11:49:49 PM »
Lets get a current mod list for Gramps going: SASed, tired old 22R swap, top shift W56, transmission break, rear disc conversion, Chevy 63 5 leaf pack in the rear, 4.10 gears, 33x12.5R15 BFG KO2 (Ew), welded rear/open front, "not made by me" front tube bumper, and weld on sliders.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2024, 12:08:55 AM by Ku_Guy »

Ku_Guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 1980 Pickup BRM TDI Swap
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2024, 12:34:25 AM »
So far I have
-06 BRM donor vehicle that is bone stock 117,000 miles
-TDI Timing belt kit P/N: 038109119P-KIT (IDParts)
-TDI Valve cover gasket P/N: 03G103483D (IDParts)
-TDI Tandem pump gasket P/N: 038145215 (IDParts)
-TDI to Toyota 4cyl trans adapter plate + Starter P/N: TDC19-4504-K (TDConversions.com)
-Centerforce clutch P/N: CFT517010 (Centerforce.com)
-LCE High torque flywheel 30Lbs. 8 7/8" P/N: 1051015 (LCEperformance.com)
-Digital to analog tach converter (Shop.FastForward.CA)
-Crank Shaft Seal P/N: 038103171S (CascadeGerman.com)
-Downpipe Gasket P/N: 7H0253115B (CascadeGerman.com)
-Serpentine Belt P/N: 6PK1050 (CascadeGerman.com)

Everything from the list above was delivered so far besides the adapter plate. Anything listed below was purchase after the day of this post.

Ku_Guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 1980 Pickup BRM TDI Swap "Gramps"
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2024, 05:10:03 PM »
Got started on the donor today and iv removed the front clip so far. Everything come off more or less without hastle save for a few rusted in bolts. Gave them a good hit with the dakka and they come right off. There are pros and cons to living close to the ocean… I did notice there is more than just a little bit of oil coming through from the turbo. I might have a GTC1549VZ lined up if the stock one is bad. Wish me luck.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2024, 08:37:49 PM by Ku_Guy »

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,235
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2024, 02:57:17 AM »
Welcome Ku_Guy,

Thoughts about your project…

First, I commend any DIYer backyard mechanic doing any kind of “swap”, modification, or trying a challenge build. :beerchug:

I owned a diesel-powered vehicle. It was by far one of the best and most enjoyable daily drivers I’ve ever owned.
Based upon that experience, however, I would not want to own one again. My choice would be gasoline powered.

Being involved in the off-road hobby since 1977, I’ve seen lots of backyard projects.
I’ve spoken to lots of people who were doing some kind of modification.
There are a gazillion words posted on forums about swap projects. :blah:

I’ve only done 1 engine swap. :D

Experimenting creates discovery. :beerchug:

I’m curious to see what we discover about your swap. :greengrin:

Good luck. :thumbs:

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Ku_Guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2024, 11:58:41 AM »
Welcome Ku_Guy,

Thoughts about your project…

First, I commend any DIYer backyard mechanic doing any kind of “swap”, modification, or trying a challenge build. :beerchug:

I owned a diesel-powered vehicle. It was by far one of the best and most enjoyable daily drivers I’ve ever owned.
Based upon that experience, however, I would not want to own one again. My choice would be gasoline powered.

Being involved in the off-road hobby since 1977, I’ve seen lots of backyard projects.
I’ve spoken to lots of people who were doing some kind of modification.
There are a gazillion words posted on forums about swap projects. :blah:

I’ve only done 1 engine swap. :D

Experimenting creates discovery. :beerchug:

I’m curious to see what we discover about your swap. :greengrin:

Good luck. :thumbs:

Thanks for the input! Honestly i want to make the cool sounds and do something out of my comfort zone! The process is what gets me. For me the excitement builds from the research and apexes when i turn the key for the first time! I also only have (and drive) 22r carb trucks so the fuel injection is a new mountain to summit with its own quarks!

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2024, 01:13:03 PM »
Thanks for the input! Honestly i want to make the cool sounds and do something out of my comfort zone! The process is what gets me. For me the excitement builds from the research and apexes when i turn the key for the first time! I also only have (and drive) 22r carb trucks so the fuel injection is a new mountain to summit with its own quarks!

Well.... I believe there are some diesel gurus and serious fabrinators here, so you should have fun and excitement! :thumbs:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Ku_Guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2024, 11:33:42 PM »
Todays I made some major progress. The rest of the engine harness was disconnected and labeled, the engine was pulled, and the transmission separated. Working on these VWs is a major learning curve. Lots of time spent between google and the service manual trying to find out what each sensor does as i go so i can label as i unplug. Just trying to make my life easier when i go through the wiring harness later. Stumbling with the “new to me” tripple square drivers was a trip but I managed to get the passenger side  CV axle off from under, the drivers side was a little hard to get access to so that would wait till later. The hardest part was trying to find decent mounting points to attach the engine to the cherry picker. At this point my boy showed up and gave me a hand. Once we had the engine supported from above I removed the bottom engine mount then slowly undid the two side mounts making sure we didnt drop it. When the engine was floating on its own I dropped it a bit and cut the exhaust after the flex pipe. We then moved the engine forward a bit to gain access to the drivers side CV. Next up was removing the DSG auto trans and that was an exercise for my brain trying to find the correct combination of tools to reach all the bolts. I had a knocking sound sometimes when idling or decelerating and come to find out that my pilot bearing was in pieces and my flex plate was loose. Super stoked the intermittent tapping was from that and not something internal. When that was done she was finally free! Threw her on the engine stand and called it a day. A very good day.

Ku_Guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2024, 11:46:35 PM »
Got a call from a friend the other day asking if I was free and if I wanted to go on a rescue mission. Of course I said yes! Gramps went on his last run in the mountain. His old worn out 22R did WORK. Banging redline for good chunks of time while making my way through some deeeeep ruts and steep hill climbs. Im proud of my rig. Got to my buddies runner at dusk and got the bead back on the wheel and we rushed it out of there. I ended up slipping into a really deep spot in a puddle and soaked my engine bay, my air filter saved my run! I got scared when the engine piddeled out 2 seconds after i got out of the puddle but 10 minutes of of letting her sit (once i knew it wasnt hydrolocked) it started like nothing happened! We went in around 1700 and got out around 2030. The last run as is was the hardest this truck has seen and one for the books! Even pulled out a jeep. Icing on the cake.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2024, 03:16:02 AM »
There's no such thing as too much money, too many cubic inches, or too many off-road adventures!  :beerchug:

I love the photos!!  :thumbs:

Ku_Guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2024, 10:41:03 AM »
Removing the wiring harness has been an adventure. Got most of it out so far and iv only cut 4 bundles of wires so far; ABS connector, 2 bundles that go to the rear on each side of the cabin, and the small bundle that goes along the driver side a-pillar to the roof. I figured for my swap i will not be using ABS, the only wires i need to run to the rear will be for the lift pump (if i decide to use one), and my existing body harness will take care of the rest. This may be the least enjoyable part so far… I could do this a lot faster/easier on a second go.

Ku_Guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2024, 10:50:58 AM »
Been think a lot about power steering. Iv been going back and forth between finding factory mounts to use a VW pump, making my own brackets for a Toyota pump, or electric PS. Iv committed to electric power steering using a 2004-2012 Volvo S40 pump. Now to figure out wiring. Ill do some research to see the best way to wire this.

Ku_Guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2024, 04:09:54 PM »
After fighting the interior for what seemed like forever I got it done. I cut part of the firewall to get enough room to get all the fuse panels out in one piece. Success with removing the harness was sweet as can be. Now i clean up my workspace and grab a sheet of ply to start laying the harness out to strip down.

Ku_Guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2024, 10:09:57 PM »
After clearing my area i made a back board that would fit my harness with some scrap wood. I tied it down to the board with some wire and screws but of course it has to start pouring rain so i stood her up and stowed it away for the day. Something about water and wiring doesnt seem right to me.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2024, 04:16:29 AM »
Ku_Guy,

I cannot even imagine taking on a swap project that complex!! :smack:

I'm eager to follow your progress. :beerchug:

Ku_Guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 25, 2024, 10:44:29 AM »
Ku_Guy,

I cannot even imagine taking on a swap project that complex!! :smack:

I'm eager to follow your progress. :beerchug:

Iv learned that if i do enough research to understand the process i gain to confidence to move forward. Honestly its not too bad if the procedure s and reasons are pinned down. Iv done10x more research than actual work. I dont know specifically what wires or bundles i need to keep or take out entirely yet but i have a good idea. Ill be talking to my tuner to figure out what i need as well as forums. People in these communities are amazingly helpful and honestly care that you do well!

Ku_Guy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 25, 2024, 10:10:25 PM »
Im about half way through taking all the shielding off of my harness. My way is pretty slow but it keeps everything (including myself) organized. Im taking everything one step at a time keeping bundles the way they were until im ready to pull un-needed runs.

For those interested:
Im working with the full harness on my back board tied down in multiple places with the board standing vertical. Ill work from the end of one side taking off tape and covers while using zip ties to keep the bundles and their branches in tact. I dont want the wires to turn into a mess of spaghetti at any point in this process to make my life in the next step seem a lot less daunting.