Author Topic: 1 link?  (Read 8616 times)

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
1 link?
« on: Apr 17, 2005, 08:09:36 PM »
looking at this over on pbb.  Looks interesting.....But would it hold up?? And waht about wheel hop??  Looks like you could get insane travel.....But is that really that necassary?
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Re: 1 link?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2005, 08:25:39 PM »
Not that much different then a 3 link, only the links are tagged together.  It will prolly get a pan-hard bar for latteral support? 

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2005, 08:35:57 PM »
pretty much, isn't that a triangulated 3link?? having the two lowers meet like that does away with the need for a panhard bar...if i remember right, you could run that and be fine...just not so much on the street...comp only...very similar to what my buddy runs on his racecar.  Of course, I have been wrong before....

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2005, 08:38:48 PM »
It would be considered a 1 link because they are welded together.  You would need a pan-hard bar because it would have way too much side to side movement.  that one bushing is not going to hold it from moving side to side. 

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2005, 09:25:10 PM »
yah, youre right about the panhard... but its a triangulated 3 link..

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2005, 06:33:15 AM »
You need to use one of those grader balls for the single joint...nce thing is you can skidplate that entire link and never worry about your rear driveshaft again!   :o
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Thumper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 63
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2005, 11:01:25 AM »
Ya a few guys tryed that crap out on there yotas around here it flexed pretty good but had alot and i mean alot of bump steer and if they drove it on the street you could see the tires kind of walk side too side and front and back because of the slack the trailer ball. They used 2 and 5/16 trailerballs and bull dog hitches and the rest like in the picture.
it would work fine if thats all you do is comp but if u wanna drive your truck like most people i wouldent suggest it.
Just my 2 cents
adam
If you didn't make it, and it ain't broke, you didn't try hard enough.

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2005, 11:08:53 AM »
Ya a few guys tryed that crap out on there yotas around here it flexed pretty good but had alot and i mean alot of bump steer and if they drove it on the street you could see the tires kind of walk side too side and front and back because of the slack the trailer ball. They used 2 and 5/16 trailerballs and bull dog hitches and the rest like in the picture.
it would work fine if thats all you do is comp but if u wanna drive your truck like most people i wouldent suggest it.
Just my 2 cents
adam

Were they running without a panhard??  With a proper horizontal bar it shouldn't walk like that.  And you would need nice stiff poly bushings too...no heims or rod ends.  It sounds more like a execution problem than the design...
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

notajeep [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2005, 02:37:26 PM »
Just my 2 cents
adam

Wouldn't a panhard bar resolve all those issues.  I heard that unimogs come stock with a setup like this.

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2005, 03:32:42 PM »
That would be sweet if I could afford coil overs :snare:   - Deffinetly would look cleaner if it were round tubing, slide across rocks better too.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2005, 09:04:20 PM »
I think it is still considered a 1 link (minus the pan hard bar).  Because it is one solid link.   A triangulated three link is made up of 3 seperate links.  If that thing had 2 more links and didn't have a pan hard bar then it would be considered a triangulated 3 link.  But i don't know why they call it a 1 link if it has a pan hard bar.

notajeep [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2005, 03:12:08 PM »
I'm not surre that a panhard bar is accepted at "full link status" .  Most 4 links use a panhard bar or track bar and they are still 4 links..not 5 links.  :dunno:  :headscratch:  :driving:

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2005, 07:05:28 PM »
yah, youre right about the panhard... but its a triangulated 3 link..

Please do enlighten us on how this is a triangulated 3 link.  since it only has  ONE COUNT THEM ONE  attatchment point to the frame. THEREFORE  it is a ONE link.  if it was a three  ( 1 2 3)  link  it would have  3 attatchment points at the frame end.   Even if it was a wishbone style  3 link  where there is 4 mounts at the axle and 3 at the frame its still a 3 link.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2005, 07:09:32 PM »
 :popcorn: gee, I feel alittle like I'm on pbb.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2005, 07:12:43 PM »
:popcorn: gee, I feel alittle like I'm on pbb.

Im not flaming. im interested in why he thinks its a traingulated 3 link. when its obviously not.  I used to work in a 4wd  shop and have built a few suspensions. So it interested me  I dont like misinformation .
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2005, 07:14:04 PM »
ok,ok. I just thought I was watching a cat fight in the making!  :laugh:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2005, 08:02:47 PM »
I have never actually seen a 4 link with a wishbone (not counted as one of the 4 links).

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Apr 19, 2005, 08:10:32 PM »
I don't feel like arguing...I have been wrong before, it could be that when a triangulated 3 link was explained to me, the guy was fulla :pokinit:...I haven't built any suspensions, so I could be wrong...

Thumper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 63
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 19, 2005, 08:25:50 PM »
yes the truck they built like that had a panhard bar but also had toplinks as the ends so that gave it a lil bump steer because of the slack in the rod ends and they also used the front toy traction bar ends the one going from axel too frame as ends they just welded it too a pipe it was some rigged up hillbilly :pokinit: a guy does here he dosent know as much as he thinks and gets stuff wrong most of the time but he is a good guy dont get me wrong.
so it was prob just the fabracator not the design like you said if it was built right it could work good.
adam
If you didn't make it, and it ain't broke, you didn't try hard enough.

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #19 on: Apr 21, 2005, 05:04:16 PM »
Those sprring pads seem a little high up the rails,  Would'nt they do better if they were on top the axle.  I thought you wanted to mount the springs as far out as you can`  :dunno:

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 21, 2005, 05:09:21 PM »
that is a 3 link
That's how I roll

FatAzzRunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -191
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Jul '02
  • Kansas, Flexin on cowpatties
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2005, 03:15:24 AM »
that is a 3 link

If you are talking about the picture in the first post......

No it isnt.

Two bars going to a single mounting point under the truck and a panhard doesnt make it a 3 link.

85 Runner, 5" All-Pro Extreme Lift, Complete Marlin T-Case with new TS 4.7 gears, Super Birfields(Longfields), 5:29's, Detroited front, Spooled rear, 36" TSL's, Bikini top.

Yes, Livin in Kansas sucks azz!!

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 22, 2005, 03:33:24 AM »
Looke like a fubar link to me,,,it would work with a panhard bar,,,but I would want more then 1 bolt holding it together for sure,,I'd like to see a grader ball at the least in there and not 1 single bolt..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 22, 2005, 03:46:00 AM »
Why not just use a ford radius arm busing attached to the t-case crossmember..... :ack:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

FatAzzRunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -191
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Jul '02
  • Kansas, Flexin on cowpatties
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 22, 2005, 03:59:26 AM »
Looke like a fubar link to me,,,it would work with a panhard bar,,,but I would want more then 1 bolt holding it together for sure,,I'd like to see a grader ball at the least in there and not 1 single bolt..

I am in total agreement with that.  I would never run one with a single bolt and a heim or bushing joint.

Russ Hogan in Oklahoma runs a trailer ball and bull dog coupler on all his rigs and he runs Unimogs and 49" IROKS and beats the piss outta his rigs and has not ever broken the suspension.

Here are the 3 rigs he has built, keep in mind, they call him the junk yard dog for a reason.  

85 Runner, 5" All-Pro Extreme Lift, Complete Marlin T-Case with new TS 4.7 gears, Super Birfields(Longfields), 5:29's, Detroited front, Spooled rear, 36" TSL's, Bikini top.

Yes, Livin in Kansas sucks azz!!

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 22, 2005, 04:04:22 AM »
Why not just use a ford radius arm busing attached to the t-case crossmember..... :ack:

Ok CR
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Makman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 98
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 22, 2005, 10:30:05 PM »
One bastardized link from the looks of it but definitely in a gray area since it has 3 connection points.  That's my  :twocents: on the original posted picture from PBB.

I've seen Panhard bars counted both ways...sometimes considered a link, sometimes considered an non-link.  The book "Chassis Engineering" by Heb Adams seems to be of the latter theology. I'm of the opposite opinion, a panhard is definitely a link because it has only two connection points and can only operate in tension/compression and most importantly serves to locate the axle beneath the rig.  Besides, if you can have a "5-link" suspension which I believe is generally accepted as possible, how do you get the 5th link without using a panhard or something comparable?  What would the function of the 5th link be if it weren't a panhard?  :dunno:  Doesn't really matter if you post a pic with whatever you choose to call it.

:worthless:

(sorry but it had to be said)
If it never breaks, people can only speculate how much it was overbuilt.

joe dirt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 23, 2005, 02:27:05 PM »

Ok CR

haha...i went to his place yesterday to take a look at the ford bushing settup he tried to use...damn this wan okie-fied!!!...lol...he had burnt the bushings with his welder,and tried to weld the 2 tubes into one...looked real bad...i could see right through his welds they had so much holes in them...
  he could have just used buble gum and spray painted it and it would have helld together better...

anyways,..i just orderd a grader ball settup and will be using it on my stretched sammi on yota axles...

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 23, 2005, 04:28:39 PM »
poor CR gotta give him some creadit for trying :_oops:  :yupyup:

TOYJOETA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 209
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2005, 05:10:52 PM »
I wanted to bring this thread back up because I am contomplating using this set up,  I work around alot of heavy machinery and could get a Grader ball for a good price, the question I have and I know it was asked earlier, but how well if done right would this work on a daily driver, What I am thinking of doing is making a crossmember, near the t-case output flange and also using that cossmember to hold my t-case similar to FROR's crossmember, and instead of using 2x4 stock as links, using 2"x.25" wall DOM tubing like a 4-link, except they all connect at one point.  then making an adjustable panhard bar to tune my roll center.  and then mounting some coilovers inward, and towards the front to control axle hop.

Watcha think :dunno:
thanks
Joe
Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
There are only 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't. Which are you?