Author Topic: 22re runs rich untill i pull a vacum hose  (Read 1587 times)

peanutt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
22re runs rich untill i pull a vacum hose
« on: Aug 16, 2023, 08:55:51 AM »
Like it says motor is a fresh rebuild. Had my mech put it in and cant seem to figure out how to get it running normal. I swapped two afm's and two 02 sensors. I was messing with it and started pulling on vacuum hoses and it started to lean out. specifically the one at the break booster. I check the break booster with the pedal trick and it seems to be good. Any ideas would help.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1293
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Re: 22re runs rich untill i pull a vacum hose
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2023, 10:44:53 AM »
Check the CTS (coolant temp sensor), maybe replace it. TPS not ajdustted prperly may be an issue.
Air injection out of whack, check diaphrams and vacuum routing.
And then there's the Cold Start Circuit, if the "timer" is bad or the injector is leaking it can cause a rich condition.
Streaking or leaking injectors.......
And my favorite! Ground, or earth connections. Make sure all your grounds are paint, rust, and dirt free! so many problems arise from poor electrical connections.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

peanutt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2023, 05:13:55 PM »
Check the CTS (coolant temp sensor), maybe replace it. TPS not ajdustted prperly may be an issue.
Air injection out of whack, check diaphrams and vacuum routing.
And then there's the Cold Start Circuit, if the "timer" is bad or the injector is leaking it can cause a rich condition.
Streaking or leaking injectors.......
And my favorite! Ground, or earth connections. Make sure all your grounds are paint, rust, and dirt free! so many problems arise from poor electrical connections.

which one is the coolant temp sensor? i replaced the TPS and adjusted it. i took out the cold start injector and it seems to be squirting fine but im not confident in what im looking at. injectors are new, in fact the mech tried to sets of them. i think the grounds are good the last mech i had went over the whole truck and fixed one which kept if from starting.

peanutt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2023, 05:32:22 PM »
I also pulled some vacuum lines on the three prong thing on the intake and truck idle cleared up ever so slighlty. Went to check the vacum to the FPR and i dont think its getting any idk. When i pulled that lime idle didnt change at all

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2023, 09:18:00 PM »
There are 2 sensors on the front of the lower manifold, just under the T-stat outlet. One has a single wire and the other has the weatherproof 2 wire connector. The sensor you'd be concerned with is the weatherproof connector.

Are you sure the unjectors are of the proper flow rate?

One thing I left off the list to check is the fuel pressure.

I always say it, and now here it comes again. Chances are, it's something simple.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

peanutt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2023, 04:55:28 AM »
There are 2 sensors on the front of the lower manifold, just under the T-stat outlet. One has a single wire and the other has the weatherproof 2 wire connector. The sensor you'd be concerned with is the weatherproof connector.

Are you sure the unjectors are of the proper flow rate?

One thing I left off the list to check is the fuel pressure.

I always say it, and now here it comes again. Chances are, it's something simple.
how do i check the fpr? i pulled the vacumline to it and i didnt notice a change in idle. Only when i pull the line from the three prong side did it change

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2023, 06:40:37 AM »
With my set-up, for some reason, the vacuum line doesn't go to the regulator. At least the diagram doesn't show that it does. I can't say I've recognized a difference in idle when I remove the signal hose either. Need to hook a fuel pressure gage in to test it properly.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2023, 06:42:17 AM »
Have you checked for trouble codes?

peanutt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2023, 10:09:06 AM »
Have you checked for trouble codes?
Yes, i was getting bad 02 previously so i changed that. Now im at a single blinking check engine light.
Here is a little more background. Truck has 84-88 engine harness and ecu. Previous owner had put in a 22r and then added injection. The motor blew so i put in 22re thinking it was the same thing.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2023, 12:29:19 PM »
So the PO had put EFI on the 22R. Was the EFI for the 22RE? Or did the PO put in an aftermarket fuel injection system? As far as the 22R/RE engine, the only differences are really are between early and late. The '85-'95 is pretty much interchangeable from carb and EFI. Now if the PO installed an early electronics set anf you put in a late block with late sensors there could be issues. As an example, using late injectors with early electronics, the early injectors were a lower flow rate and required a longer open duration. With late injectors in that system, having a higher flow rate, would put more fuel into the engine than the early injectors, rich.

So now I'd say make sure all your components are compatible with each other. Toyota does have a lot of pieces that can "mix-and-match" but you do need to know what works where. Wish I could be of more help.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2023, 09:56:25 PM »
Yes, i was getting bad 02 previously so i changed that. Now im at a single blinking check engine light.

Here is a little more background. Truck has 84-88 engine harness and ecu. Previous owner had put in a 22r and then added injection. The motor blew so i put in 22re thinking it was the same thing.

Was the 22re you used complete with all the sensors?  If so, was it from an '84-'88 truck/runner, or was it from a later model?  With the 22re, you have 3 separate model year runs, and the ecu, injectors, sensors., etc., are not interchangeable

The generations for the ecu, injectors, sensors, etc., are '84-'88, '89-'91, and '92-'95.
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2023, 08:55:53 PM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2023, 06:13:19 PM »
Was the 22re you used complete with all the sensors?  If so, was it from an '84-'88 truck/runner, or was it from a later model?  With the 22re, you have 3 separate model year runs, and the ecu, injectors, sensors., etc., are not interchangeable

That was one point I was getting to, but, yes, having several vintage Toyotas there are many interchangeable parts. Example, the CTS, if it has the same plug and threads it can be used with most ECUs of the same generation. A 22RE ECU that has the same plug configuration can jump between generations of the same configuration, N/A manual with an AFM with three plugs can jump from, '85 or '86 all the way up to '88. As for the head, since the block from '86 to 95 is the same, will bolt to '86 to '95 lower manifold. '81/'85 was interchangeable from the pickup. Celica, Corona with the 2 plug ECU. 

Just gotta do the research to find what will work where since the parts are becoming more rare by the day.

Only time it becomes an issue is with the smog Nazis when they get down to checking oart numbers. Yeah, once they know you a smog test can turn into a colonoscopy.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2023, 08:58:41 PM »
Guess I edited out the yrs for the matching ecu, sensors, and injectors, etc.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

peanutt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 20, 2023, 07:06:13 AM »
So the PO had put EFI on the 22R. Was the EFI for the 22RE? Or did the PO put in an aftermarket fuel injection system? As far as the 22R/RE engine, the only differences are really are between early and late. The '85-'95 is pretty much interchangeable from carb and EFI. Now if the PO installed an early electronics set anf you put in a late block with late sensors there could be issues. As an example, using late injectors with early electronics, the early injectors were a lower flow rate and required a longer open duration. With late injectors in that system, having a higher flow rate, would put more fuel into the engine than the early injectors, rich.

So now I'd say make sure all your components are compatible with each other. Toyota does have a lot of pieces that can "mix-and-match" but you do need to know what works where. Wish I could be of more help.
PO like to switch out from carb to EFI, when i got ahold of it was stroked out and had an aftermarket ECM. I swapped it out with another ECU he had given me that match the correct year for the harness,(single Wire 02). Would you like me to get pics or video?

peanutt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2023, 07:07:09 AM »

The generations for the ecu, injectors, sensors, etc., are '84-'88, '89-'91, and '92-'95.

before the motor blew up it was running fine no issues. I just got the new motor and then dropped it in.

peanutt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2023, 07:09:48 AM »

Just gotta do the research to find what will work where since the parts are becoming more rare by the day.

this is a major issue for me now. This truck was supposed to be cheep to fix. Now i cant find anything OEM at all. I tried looking for sensors and its all chinese stuff that i dont want to replace in a month

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2023, 09:14:49 AM »
Is the new engine stock? With the stock electronics it should be good to go. The previous owner may have increased the injector size to make up for the added displacement, that would definately have an effect on you fuel mixture.

Can you verify the ECU application and year? 2 or 3 plugs? Pin quantity per plug? Part number? Injector color coding? What color are the injectors? Solid or black stripe on the injector body plug? Plug shape. oval or square?

And I always ask, your location. No address or anything that precise, just general. Maybe there would be someone close enough to pop by to lend a hand.

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2023, 09:45:54 AM by sirdeuce »

peanutt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 20, 2023, 02:51:28 PM »
Is the new engine stock? With the stock electronics it should be good to go. The previous owner may have increased the injector size to make up for the added displacement, that would definately have an effect on you fuel mixture.

Can you verify the ECU application and year? 2 or 3 plugs? Pin quantity per plug? Part number? Injector color coding? What color are the injectors? Solid or black stripe on the injector body plug? Plug shape. oval or square?

And I always ask, your location. No address or anything that precise, just general. Maybe there would be someone close enough to pop by to lend a hand.

the new engine is stock. But it came with none of the intake stuff. So we used the older intake manifold setup/injectors.  idk about the injectors as my was dealing with my mech. Im suspecting he just grabbed some BS from amazon. 
Im in central florida on the west coast

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 20, 2023, 06:48:36 PM »
Pull a plug off an injector and see what color it is, note whether it hes a black stripe or not, and the shape of the plug.

peanutt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2023, 06:11:58 AM »
Pull a plug off an injector and see what color it is, note whether it hes a black stripe or not, and the shape of the plug.
i just had someone take a look at the truck and he noticed my tps was loose. So for sure that is a major issue that needs to be taken care of. If i have issues i will update the thread.
Also the injector is all red body

peanutt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 29, 2023, 05:45:59 AM »
been busy. So i adjusted the tps which cleaned up a lot of stuff. I got a new break booster now. For some reason the booster to the intake plenum had to check valves on the line. When i removed the line breakbooster side the idle cleaned up a lot. Im now getting check engine lights. Will try to do the paper clips trick to see what codes i pull

peanutt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 30, 2023, 07:51:18 AM »
so i changed the break booster and adjusted the tps. Ive gotten it down to a vacum issue, i will make another thread