Author Topic: Carseat Crawler  (Read 1223 times)

seebrookmeyer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -50
  • Male Posts: 85
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Carseat Crawler
« on: Aug 10, 2023, 08:32:14 AM »
By the time this thing is done, the girls will probably be out of carseats.

She is officially smog legal. Next up is to continue unfucking some of the goofy :pokinit: done. Top priorities are to clean up electrical for some of the aftermarket :pokinit: and work on the cooling system. The electric radiator fans for the radiator and power steering cooler are getting power via the AC fan switch. They swapped the 10 amp fuse for a 25 amp fuse and just jammed a wire in the fuse block.

I'm pretty sure this thing was in a front end collision at some point. There is red paint showing through at various locations on the inside of the body panels on the passenger side and core support. They installed an aftermarket radiator, transmission cooler and power steering cooler. They are all stacked on top of each other and basically zipped tied in place. It runs a little hot which is no surprise considering each cooler is blocked by another cooler, driving around getting the monitors I had the scanner in reading live data. Coolant temps would hit 225 in stop and go traffic with the AC on, 205-210 without the AC, on a 95 degree day.

I need to figure out what the issue is with the elocker in the rear as it is not currently locking, front has an ARB, but need to install compressor and switches for that. I have an additional ARB 3rd so I'm on the hunt for a non elocker tacoma housing that can be swapped in so I'll have an ARB front and rear.   

Current long term plan is cage, links, tons and forties

lone walker

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 606
  • Member since Oct '09
  • we're there!
    • View Profile
Re: Carseat Crawler
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2023, 06:12:55 PM »
Cage is overkill unless you plan on green sticker and trailer queen. All that extra, unnecessary weight will bog the struggling 5vz as is already, especially if it's not SC.

IDK about you but when I shredded my SC belt a few weeks ago while on 40s, that remind me of my struggling 22ret with 33s. Pedal to the metal while enjoying the scenery and not going anywhere.
Going, going, gone

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,235
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2023, 07:08:44 PM »
Just another opinion….

If your truck is going to be purposed-built for serious wheeling, I would definitely consider researching if a roll cage can be installed legally in a street driven vehicle.

Knowing what I know now, if I were to go back in time to my serious rock crawling days, I would definitely install a very tight-fitting chromoly roll cage if it were legal in my daily driver.

It would be the absolute bare minimum to prevent the roof at the top of windshield and the rear back glass from collapsing.

With interior roll bars, it is critical to have 5-point safety belts and seats that prevent body-bouncing, and padded areas on the bars to prevent bad head injuries.

The extra weight and the space the bars take up are definitely issues to consider, but so is a roll-over where the cab collapses into the interior driver/passenger areas.

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

seebrookmeyer [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2023, 11:46:40 AM »
Cage is overkill unless you plan on green sticker and trailer queen. All that extra, unnecessary weight will bog the struggling 5vz as is already, especially if it's not SC.

IDK about you but when I shredded my SC belt a few weeks ago while on 40s, that remind me of my struggling 22ret with 33s. Pedal to the metal while enjoying the scenery and not going anywhere.

I place a lot of value in a cage. Things can go south in a hurry, even at slow speeds.

seebrookmeyer [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2023, 02:07:50 PM »
Nothing wildly exciting, but acquired a set of 05+ Super Duty Axles for this. Plan is to bench build these and collect other parts to hopefully reduce the down time when the actual swap takes place. On the hunt for a j shift, driver drop chain drive transfer case to use as a donor for an eco crawler if anyone has one they are looking to part with. been slim pickings on CL and FBMP.

rapier46

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 221
  • Male Posts: 249
  • Member since Sep '10
  • Granite Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2023, 08:18:07 PM »
I did the same thing, ish.    I had mine out the door on tons in 6 weeks.   

seebrookmeyer [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2024, 08:26:35 AM »
Haven't done much with this thing through the holidays, but my EcoCrawler showed up from NWF yesterday. Planning to start getting this assembled over the next couple weeks and everything everything installed prior to Sand Hollow.

seebrookmeyer [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2024, 09:31:53 AM »
Been tinkering with this a bit to get it ready for Sand Hollow. Rear E locker was not functioning, started with verifying the PO had done the gray wire mod (allows the locker to be engaged in 2WD and 4HI). PO just wrapped the wire around a bolt so I put a ring terminal on it, but still did not have 12V at the rear end. Wires at the e locker hanging together by a few strands of copper and connector for the indicator switch was broken off. Ordered a new indicator switch and E locker harness. New harness had a different style connector at the frame, so spliced my frame side connector to the harness. Pulled the e locker motor out of the diff to test, I now had 12V, but the motor was seized up. Replaced the motor, added an e locker motor guard from Low Range and its now fully functional. 

PO had bought 2 ARB diffs and an ARB compressor prior to me buying it. I dont think he realized he couldn't install an ARB in an e locker housing, so I have a spare for the front now. He installed the front diff but didnt get any farther than that. The wiring harness for the compressor was cut into multiple pieces, presumably to be removed from whatever vehicle it was previously install in, so ordered a new harness. Cut a simple mount to install the compressor in the engine bay. Probably should have used something thicker but it will do for now. 

Center console had 2 rectangular holes with covers on them. PO was using one of the locations for the lights on the bumper. Pulled the cigarette lighters out in an attempt to just put the existing switches in those holes. Switches were smaller than the hole so cut the back of the lighter out and stuffed the switches in them. mounted the compressor and front locker switches in the rectangular holes. All this is "temporary" as the not to distant plan is to pull the interior to cage it. 

seebrookmeyer [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2024, 11:33:28 AM »
Finished the ARB wiring and now have fully functional lockers front and rear. Just running the wiring for this under the dash confirms that an interior cage will be a very large undertaking.