Author Topic: Dimpling piston crown  (Read 425 times)

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1293
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Dimpling piston crown
« on: Jul 23, 2023, 01:06:03 PM »
I came across this bit on diesel engine pistons, thought I'd put it out there for some thought and criticism.

We've seen it done in intake ports, dimples. Now there is a company dimpling their diesel pistons. Claims to better power and efficiency from the process. Wonder how it would do in a petrol engine.....
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,254
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Dimpling piston crown
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2023, 03:04:44 PM »
Thoughts…

Decades ago we didn’t have the computer technology, like the AI and modeling software today.

Today we can create better alloys.

Machining technology is probably way better than 50 years ago.

Testing results are probably more provable with highly advanced data collection technology.

Dimpling probably does do something to improve power and fuel consumption. 

For the race industry maybe it’s a new thing.

However, at the end of the day, if you spend a tiny tiny fraction of the cost of dimpling and just raise the compression 1% or 2% you get same or better power increase.

How well do those little dimples do after 50,000 miles and the top of the piston has layers of carbon on it?

If dimpling was a big thing for the big automotive manufacturers, they would have done it.

Gnarls. :usa:
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2023, 06:56:47 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

sirdeuce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1293
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Re: Dimpling piston crown
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2023, 01:25:32 PM »
I'm seeing the dimplng process as a means to improve economy and reduce emissions. From what I see in it, might be something for the future(?) of IC engines.

Yeah, there is the issue of time and carbon buildup, but still an interesting possibility.  Polishing and coatings alleviate the issues of build-up. Water injection can be a good cylinder cleaner as well.

Dimpling may be expensive, probably no more than raising the compression, PROPERLY. It is claimed the dimpling reduces NOx emissions where increasing the compression actually increases NOx emissions.

Manufacturers, automotive of otherwise, don't care about what would be good, only making more money. The only place you might see such tech would be in the more
"high-end" market anyway. Haven't seen it in racing yet.

I would like to see this used in petrol engines.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.