Author Topic: R series 2nd gear differences.  (Read 1187 times)

onwheels

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Feb '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
R series 2nd gear differences.
« on: Jan 12, 2023, 04:17:16 PM »
I'm in the process of rebuilding an R151F and have discovered the 2nd gear is trashed. It has quite a few chips on the teeth which I was considering grinding/smoothing out, though once I started, I realised it was more damaged than I thought.

From what I can see, there are 2 different 2nd gear types and according to Partsouq & my local Toyota Genuine Parts, the gear I need is no longer available. So after comparing the diagrams for my R151F and the later models (though still pre-1KD usage), it looks like the only difference is the gear & the matching synchro.

Of course this is an extra couple hundred dollars I wasn't expecting on this project, so am hoping someone has experience with this and can confirm before I place the order?

Cheers.

onwheels [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: R series 2nd gear differences.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2023, 07:02:24 PM »
Just to update this in case anyone comes across this issue in the future; I've ordered the newer style 2nd Gear and matching synchro.

Part numbers are as follows;
3303360050 - 2nd Gear
3303735030 - Synchro

Will update once the parts come in as to whether they fit or not.

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8529
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2023, 07:14:27 PM »
I will be following your results as I have the same transmission and have wondered where to find parts if mine fail.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2023, 09:41:01 PM »
Just to add to this thread in case anyone interested. I rebuilt my R151F and hated the 1st and 2nd gear ratios after swapping in a 3.4. I swapped in the gears from a R150F (3.0 V6 version) Direct swap.

88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

onwheels [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2023, 03:59:42 PM »
I will be following your results as I have the same transmission and have wondered where to find parts if mine fail.

Most parts are readily available, though from what I can find, I've got an older gearbox with the nut on the countershaft and this 2nd gear arrangement which is no longer in production.

onwheels [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2023, 04:00:34 PM »
Just to add to this thread in case anyone interested. I rebuilt my R151F and hated the 1st and 2nd gear ratios after swapping in a 3.4. I swapped in the gears from a R150F (3.0 V6 version) Direct swap.

Good to know. This is going behind a 1KZ so gear ratios are as intended.

onwheels [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2023, 04:39:46 PM »
Ok, for anyone following along, the parts have come in. The newer style 2nd gear measures up to be the same as my original older style (apart from the synchro area), so thats a good start. The synchro is a completely different design (3 piece) and the inner diameter is smaller to suit the newer 2nd gear. Unfortunately, the spring/key arrangement is also different. I should have realised this when looking at the diagrams and pictures, though most of this I'm doing after work, late at night, so I blame my brain for being half asleep.

So I now need to order the synchro on the other side of the hub and the appropriate springs and keys.

In the above image, the original spring/key arrangement is circled in red. The new style is in green, and the new synchro I need to order is shown in orange. Hopefully this is all I need to get this thing back together (and working).

So far, 2nd gear and the matching synchro has cost me an extra ~$180aud and I received it within a week of ordering. I went to my local Toyota parts dealer and they quoted me over $400+aud just for the 2nd gear, with a 4-5 week wait from Japan. I'm not even going to bother checking pricing with them this time, as I can see a few local companies selling the synchro for $130aud and the keys for $8aud EACH. I'm about to place an order for 3 keys, 3 springs & 1 synchro, with delivery for $64.80aud.

Part numbers as follows;
3336535060 - Synchro keys (x3 req'd)
3336735080 - Synchro (x1 req'd)
9050108158 - Springs (x3 req'd)

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2023, 09:36:07 PM »
Thanks for the update. Dead end threads suck.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

onwheels [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2023, 04:30:32 PM »
No worries. Hopefully it can save someone a few headaches if they ever come across this issue.

I received the new synchro, springs & keys and got set up and ready to re-assemble. Unfortunately I realised the synchro hub needs to be changed as well.
The new 3 piece synchro on the 2nd gear side (33367 in the above diagram) has a different design, with tabs in the center which lock into the face of the synchro hub.

I didn't pick this up, and when checking part numbers, the image shown on the website shows the opposite side, which looks the same as the original part I have. Also, I did not realise there is a recess for the springs to mount in. Luckily I noticed this before I pressed the hub all the way on.

So the new part required is "Hub transmission clutch No. 1" Part number 33361-71010.

You can barely see the recess for the springs in the above image. This is what led me to believe this is the same as the part I have.

Here is a better look at it.

And here is the recessed face required for the synchro to locate in.

4Ruinned

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2023, 06:44:48 PM »
Most parts are readily available, though from what I can find, I've got an older gearbox with the nut on the countershaft and this 2nd gear arrangement which is no longer in production.

I wonder if the 2nd gear from a AX15 works with the older style syncho/hub in a R151F.

That gear has 33 teeth, same as the one in the R151 and the AX15 is pretty much an R series transmission.

onwheels [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2023, 02:27:06 PM »
I wonder if the 2nd gear from a AX15 works with the older style syncho/hub in a R151F.

That gear has 33 teeth, same as the one in the R151 and the AX15 is pretty much an R series transmission.

Looking at it I'd say you're right. I wish I had of thought about that when I was looking for a replacement  :hammerhead: looks like they're easy to find too.

Ah well I'm this far in now may as well keep going!