Author Topic: Question about the rear shackle hanger tube... offset  (Read 817 times)

Toyospearo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
Question about the rear shackle hanger tube... offset
« on: Nov 26, 2022, 05:20:27 PM »
I'm in the middle of a SAS on an 86 extended cab pickup.  I am reading through the instructions and on the rear shackle hanger tube it states - "Center the frame tube in its hole. After centering the tube, push the tube toward the outside of the frame 1/4".  Is it saying: Center then tube relative to the frame so each end of the tube is sticking out the sides equally?  Or center means flush with the outside of the frame then push the tube 1/4" out?   All the SAS tubes I've seen the tube sticks out much farther than 1/4 if the latter is the case.
I am confused.
I'd hate to cause some kind of issue down the road if this tube wasn't in the correct spot.   With the 1/4" offset on the outside of the frame the inside tube section is much longer and maybe it is more in line with the front hanger?     

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated!
below is a random photo from a recent SAS...

Toyospearo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
?   anyone?

a1gemmel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 149
  • Member since Jun '21
  • Amateur shitbox whisperer
    • View Profile
Center then tube relative to the frame so each end of the tube is sticking out the sides equally? 

Having not done this myself, I suspect this first interpretation is correct.

But... measure measure measure. You have the front hanger piece, which sets the width at the front of the spring. In theory the rear measurements should be the same. I would check the center-to-center measurement on this front hanger, that is the center of each leaf spring eyelet when installed in the hanger. That should match the center-to-center measurement of the frame tubes.
1981 Pickup - 37s, 5.29s, L52, dual cases 4.7 rear, e-locker front, grizzly rear, 22R stroker
1986 4Runner - 35s, 4.30s, auto, rear spool, 4" lift

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,236
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
In a standard automobile, the front and rear axles of the vehicle are parallel, and a perpendicular line drawn straight forward from the center of the rear axle should intersect in that same center position on the front axle of the vehicle.

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Toyospearo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
Having not done this myself, I suspect this first interpretation is correct.

But... measure measure measure. You have the front hanger piece, which sets the width at the front of the spring. In theory the rear measurements should be the same. I would check the center-to-center measurement on this front hanger, that is the center of each leaf spring eyelet when installed in the hanger. That should match the center-to-center measurement of the frame tubes.

that would make sense.  However, Trail Gear's instructions call for a 1/4" adjustment from center which makes those measurements unequal.  I assume this 1/4" offset evens up the front and rear spring.  A friend of mine did this swap and he has had issues with vibration at higher speeds.  He's done about everything to correct it.  He did mention to me he might have the spring hangers a little off which is what got me thinking.  Hate to melt the whole thing together before everything is golden.

a1gemmel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 149
  • Member since Jun '21
  • Amateur shitbox whisperer
    • View Profile
I don't think having the springs out of parallel could cause a vibration. Binding on articulation maybe, and if they're both out to the same side then the truck would always pull in one direction, don't know if 1/4" over the length of the spring would be perceptible in either case though. These trucks aren't exactly precision implements.
1981 Pickup - 37s, 5.29s, L52, dual cases 4.7 rear, e-locker front, grizzly rear, 22R stroker
1986 4Runner - 35s, 4.30s, auto, rear spool, 4" lift